Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 149 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Yea, but what about the 3 hours of hate in the evening prime time. Tucker, Hannity, and Ingram have a lot of back filling to do. Oh yea, audience with memories of goldfish. Nevermind.
Pretty insulting to fish…fish can and do remember vastly longer than MAGAsses. See it every day when I talk to one of my neighbors.

Reactions: nakedfrog

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
If, big IF, but definitely possible, that Putin loses power I wonder how the right wing will spin Trump calling him a genius and if the Democrats will be able to capitalize on that huge flub. And also market the power of unifying and leading the world, and the power of NATO bringing a totalitarian dictator to his knees. I suspect the Dems will fuck up the messaging just thinking this should be obvious to anyone with a working brain, when it's not, and the right will control the messaging.

Reactions: hal2kilo

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Drilling must be some new slang euphemism for Bombing, Invasion & Territorial Occupation... Unless you deny the fact that 4 Iraqi divisions actually took control of Kuwait City and forced the current government into exile...

Oil and Natural gas and still refuse to help them? so now Ukraine people are even less important than Kuwaitis?
Super Extra Triple Racist?

Or is it bad to help them because they have oil? Saving Ukraine = adding to CO2/Pollution = against Bidens agenda??
The reason is we have no treaty obligation to help Ukraine and their adversary is a nuclear power. If they weren’t a nuclear power we might have intervened.

This is not complicated or difficult to understand.

Reactions: RnR_au and hal2kilo

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If, big IF, but definitely possible, that Putin loses power I wonder how the right wing will spin Trump calling him a genius and if the Democrats will be able to capitalize on that huge flub. And also market the power of unifying and leading the world, and the power of NATO bringing a totalitarian dictator to his knees. I suspect the Dems will fuck up the messaging just thinking this should be obvious to anyone with a working brain, when it's not, and the right will control the messaging.
They will say that Trump’s supply of javelins to Ukraine defeated Putin.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002

#neverremeber will kick in

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
No, this is something different. This is the death glare pointed directly at Putin. Remember, no doubt these generals have wife's and kids and brothers and sisters and want nothing to do with Putin's nuke talk. This is the look asking WHAT THE F ARE YOU THINKING, VLADIMIR?

View attachment 58027
So, you don’t know what smug means then. Gotcha.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Oil and Natural gas and still refuse to help them? so now Ukraine people are even less important than Kuwaitis?
Super Extra Triple Racist?

Do you think Americans would be more racist to Ukrainians than Kuwaitis?

I guess you'll have to find some other way to reconcile the flaws in your arguments.

Reactions: KMFJD and Meghan54

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Uh, they kind of invaded and took over the whole of Kuwait. Concern was they wouldn't stop (for long) and continue into SA, which would have been a major strategic nightmare for the US.
I edited my post because I had it backwards. It was Kuwait that was slant drilling into Iraq.

Reactions: Pens1566

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
"Why did we stop Iraq over Kuwait? Was it for humanitarian reasons or just for the oil?"
Iraq was using a slant drilling technique to extract oil from under Kuwait soil. We should have never gotten involved and allowed them to settle their own dispute. But the oil...

No one was slant drilling actually, but Iraq did accuse Kuwait of it (300k barrels/day they said) to justify invading. Rumaila oil field was accessible to Kuwait without any special drilling techniques. Iraq was already having a spat with Kuwait and UAE over OPEC production. Kuwait and UAE tried to pacify Saddam days before the invasion by offering to restrict their own pumping, but he wanted/needed a war.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
The reason is we have no treaty obligation to help Ukraine and their adversary is a nuclear power. If they weren’t a nuclear power we might have intervened.

This is not complicated or difficult to understand.

sure, its not complicated or difficult to understand... its simply morally wrong and reprehensible.

What retarded circular chicken and egg logic is this...

US: We won't defend you because you arent part of the Nato-in club.
Ukraine: we asked to be admitted to Nato in 2008 and are asking again to immediately join.
US: No you can't join Nato because we don't want to defend you from Russia.
Ukraine: ...

whether the opponent is nuclearly armed or not does not decide if something is humanitarian or not.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I figure he would want to stall because the quick victory didn't happen for Putin. Stalling allows him time to call up more forces, with which he will push harder.
I don't know that he has more forces to call up. Wasn't something like 80% of Russia's military sent to this little adventure?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
sure, its not complicated or difficult to understand... its simply morally wrong and reprehensible.

What retarded circular chicken and egg logic is this...

US: We won't defend you because you arent part of the Nato-in club.
Ukraine: we asked to be admitted to Nato in 2008 and are asking again to immediately join.
US: No you can't join Nato because we don't want to defend you from Russia.
Ukraine: ...

whether the opponent is nuclearly armed or not does not decide if something is humanitarian or not.
Right, because we weren’t willing to fight Russia to protect Ukraine we didn’t lie and sign a treaty that said we would.

If you take a second and really think through what you’re saying whether or not you’re going to war with a nuclear power is extremely relevant from a humanitarian perspective.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
I don't know that he has more forces to call up. Wasn't something like 80% of Russia's military sent to this little adventure?

Not really, the military has around a million members, although a lot are likely non-deployable for various reasons, mainly that they’re likely doing other things that need done.

It‘s certainly a large portion of his army’s mobile combat power tho.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I think deposing is much more likely with the sanctions in place. The sanctions are much more effective because they dropped quickly, over a weekend. Don't think we should give them time to adjust. I am sure the generals understand the best way to unfuck the situation to overthrowing Putin and pulling out.

Found this online. Some talk about the principle around 3:55. Obviously US intelligence is going to know way more about the likelihood of Putin getting deposed and other factors surrounding the decisions being made. But I think the principle is sound. There has to be some hope for Russia moving forward or the atrocities escalate and the threat of nuclear war gets greater.

Reactions: RnR_au

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

As long as it doesn't provide an avenue for assassins to get through the lines, yeah I'm all for it. Screen for Wagner posers bigtime. I bet a significant number of Russian teenagers who were lied to and then hung out to dry would take that deal in a heartbeat. Being stuck outside in the cold while hungry is no fun. When you add people trying to kill or capture you with overwhelming force, well it tends to get downright tedious.

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

Found this online. Some talk about the principle around 3:55. Obviously US intelligence is going to know way more about the likelihood of Putin getting deposed and other factors surrounding the decisions being made. But I think the principle is sound. There has to be some hope for Russia moving forward or the atrocities escalate and the threat of nuclear war gets greater.
I agree you offer them an out. But you don't give them the out then ask to talk. You tell them "You do X, you'll get Y." Not "I'll give you Y, of you talk to me about X."

I agree we should make it obvious a full pull out will ease sanctions.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
As long as it doesn't provide an avenue for assassins to get through the lines, yeah I'm all for it. Screen for Wagner posers bigtime. I bet a significant number of Russian teenagers who were lied to and then hung out to dry would take that deal in a heartbeat.

They better act fast as the value of the ruble is in a huge skid right now. Might have to increase the “bounty” to 10M rubles to keep up with its devaluation. Worse than crypto right now…

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005

Dems need to hang this on the necks of republicans to have a chance on the midterms.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, I'd seen similar reports as well. Something like ~75% or so. And I'd expect them to be the most "ready" or "capable" of the mission also. He's not gonna use the wrong units. Doesn't bode well for any leftovers though, I'd imagine they'd fare worse than what we're seeing now.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I agree you offer them an out. But you don't give them the out then ask to talk. You tell them "You do X, you'll get Y." Not "I'll give you Y, of you talk to me about X."

I agree we should make it obvious a full pull out will ease sanctions.

I was saying if they abided to cease fire then we could talk. But I'm not going to pretend I am qualified to know the best line to draw. More advocating for the principle.