Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 147 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Even they can read a room, if only at a 3rd grade level.

Condileeza Rice told a Fox show/audience that "Biden has united NATO in ways I didn't think possible after the Cold War"

The butthurt rippling through Team Treason because of Putin's Folly, it's human cost, my god it's delicious. Media is not letting them off the hook either, watch Stephanopolous interview that pencil necked traitor Tom Cotton for instance.

May the fortunes of Team Treason follow Putin down the drain...

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
To the people rooting for direct US/NATO engagement that’s a bad idea. Though if Putin went hog wild and started dropping fuel air bombs on Kyiv somebody like Poland might just declare war on them anyway.

For the time being I support sending whatever supplies and weapons are needed to ensure the Russian army never leaves Ukraine except on foot.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
CNN flashed a video clip of Putin sitting there, then flashed a clip of Russian generals (I presume) sitting near by, and those generals did not look at all happy. In fact, they were looking quite smug. Then it hit me, is that the look of a coup? With Putin acting so... so... Donald Trump-ish, and with beloved Putin now pissing off his own Russian people so much where they have taken to the streets in protest, it makes me wonder if those generals are maybe planning something? If I were Putin, and my generals with the guns were looking at me that way, I'd be worried.
Putin should be worried when he talks of nukes and when Russian ATM's stop working all while his generals are giving Putin "that look". Just maybe, for the sake of the union and for the survival of the union, just maybe for Putin to start talking nukes crossed the line even for Putin's generals. Maybe the generals are starting to believe that Putin is off his rocker and must be stopped.
Now, wouldn't THAT be a pleasant and welcome surprise? And, the solution to all of this.

View attachment 58026

In my experience, resting bitch face is common amongst those in former Soviet nations.
I've had coworkers with similar looks when you mention that the barber down the street is better than the barber they go to.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
CNN flashed a video clip of Putin sitting there, then flashed a clip of Russian generals (I presume) sitting near by, and those generals did not look at all happy. In fact, they were looking quite smug. Then it hit me, is that the look of a coup? With Putin acting so... so... Donald Trump-ish, and with beloved Putin now pissing off his own Russian people so much where they have taken to the streets in protest, it makes me wonder if those generals are maybe planning something? If I were Putin, and my generals with the guns were looking at me that way, I'd be worried.
Putin should be worried when he talks of nukes and when Russian ATM's stop working all while his generals are giving Putin "that look". Just maybe, for the sake of the union and for the survival of the union, just maybe for Putin to start talking nukes crossed the line even for Putin's generals. Maybe the generals are starting to believe that Putin is off his rocker and must be stopped.
Now, wouldn't THAT be a pleasant and welcome surprise? And, the solution to all of this.

View attachment 58026

Smug? I don't think that word means what you think it does.

"Sour" or "solemn", maybe, but hardly "smug". Don't know what one can conclude from facial expressions - it would be downright weird if they all looked happy and jovial.

Reactions: Meghan54

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Are generals supposed to look happy when their troops in battle (and losing troops and equipment to an under powered opponent)?

No, this is something different. This is the death glare pointed directly at Putin. Remember, no doubt these generals have wife's and kids and brothers and sisters and want nothing to do with Putin's nuke talk. This is the look asking WHAT THE F ARE YOU THINKING, VLADIMIR?

FC9BA019-0B11-4734-95F8-3E66AC6B01B6.jpeg

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Why not fast track the Ukraine's membership into NATO. Like before the end of today. Then let NATO do their thing to the Russian forces surrounding the country.
NATO won’t consider membership if there’s a current dispute going on. This is why it wasn’t considered for past decade.

Reactions: hal2kilo

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
For all you HUME thread fans:

0v9cidP.jpeg

Jan 25, 2011
Looks like an Aeroflot 737 didn't get the memo and is circling around Eastern Greece over the Greek-Turkish airspace boundary due to restrictions. Greece won't allow it to land.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
In exchange for what? I am not holding my breath, but the only way this makes sense is if some other country was going to throw their military in to support Ukraine.

Such a promise from Putin is worthless anyway.

I think the West needs to collaborate on a plan to pause sanctions to enable peace talks if Russia abides by a cease fire. If we can offer Russian revolutionaries a path to some sort of recovery from this incident, they may go ahead and depose Putin. Even if somehow Ukraine and Russia could come to peace terms, I don't see Russia recovering from this without a regime change.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Seems like Ukraine has filed to immediately join the EU. What do you think the chances are that the EU will let Ukraine join knowing that means going to war?

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Because NATO collectively declaring war on Russia is a bad idea.

Wait... didnt the entire world denounce colonialism and imperialism?
So just standing-by watching a country with an aggressive military take over another is not a "bad idea"?
Why did we stop Iraq over Kuwait? Was it for humanitarian reasons or just for the oil?

If Russia invaded a NATO country, declaring was on Russia is exactly what would happen...

So what you are really saying is that the people of Ukraine are less important than the people of Poland, Germany or England? Or not worth saving because they don't have any oil?
Gee we feel real bad about Russia invading your county and destroying your homes and murdering your people, but not enough to invite you into our members only club or actually help you defend yourself in a non-passive way.
What dumbfuckery form of racism/classism/elitism are you propagating?

Thoughts and Prayers and Economic Sanctions.

• Haha
Reactions: Thump553 and iRONic

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Such a promise from Putin is worthless anyway.

I think the West needs to collaborate on a plan to pause sanctions to enable peace talks if Russia abides by a cease fire. If we can offer Russian revolutionaries a path to some sort of recovery from this incident, they may go ahead and depose Putin. Even if somehow Ukraine and Russia could come to peace terms, I don't see Russia recovering from this without a regime change.
I think deposing is much more likely with the sanctions in place. The sanctions are much more effective because they dropped quickly, over a weekend. Don't think we should give them time to adjust. I am sure the generals understand the best way to unfuck the situation to overthrowing Putin and pulling out.

Reactions: thilanliyan

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Wait... didnt the entire world denounce colonialism and imperialism?
So just standing-by watching a country with an aggressive military take over another is not a "bad idea"?
Why did we stop Iraq over Kuwait? Was it for humanitarian reasons or just for the oil?

If Russia invaded a NATO country, declaring was on Russia is exactly what would happen...

So what you are really saying is that the people of Ukraine are less important than the people of Poland, Germany or England? Or not worth saving because they don't have any oil?
Gee we feel real bad about Russia invading your county and destroying your homes and murdering your people, but not enough to invite you into our members only club or actually help you defend yourself in a non-passive way.
What dumbfuckery form of racism/classism/elitism are you propagating?

Thoughts and Prayers and Economic Sanctions.
Limiting escalation to nuclear Armageddon.