Running engine while pumping gas

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Then the thing is ice cold when I get back into it after pumping gas for 5 minutes.

current outside temperature is -10F, wind is 10mph

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
If you are going to leave it running at the gas station, then you might as well start it/remote start it at your house and let it warm up/cool down for a few minutes before you leave. You are wasting the gas anyway.

Then you can shut it off at the pump, like you should. :biggrin:

remote starts are far from ubiquitous :p

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I do it all the time, there is next to a zero chance my car will explode.

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
I always do it. I've yet to come across, including in this thread, any real reason why not, though no shortage of almost impossible eventualities. Basically all of these pretend that even if your car was off the same virtually impossible event could still occur with the car that just pulled up behind or beside you. Most pumps nowadays force you to hold the handle and I will jam it with the gas cap or similar.

And a quick call to the police will get you fined. I'll be more than happy to make the call if you do it next to me.

Of course, the last time some asshole decided to leave his running after I asked him not to (he then went inside the store to pay), I helped him turn his car off. I wonder if he ever found his keys.

There is absolutely no reason to put people at risk in a situation like this, no matter how small the risk.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If you are going to leave it running at the gas station, then you might as well start it/remote start it at your house and let it warm up/cool down for a few minutes before you leave. You are wasting the gas anyway.

Then you can shut it off at the pump, like you should. :biggrin:

Real people drive manuals, which means no remote start available.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Real people drive manuals, which means no remote start available.
Not so! Installing it on a manual is actually just as easy as doing it for an automatic. Some manual cars won't start unless you hold the clutch while auomatics don't start unless you hold the brakes when starting; either way it's a single thing to override.

http://www.ridelust.com/reminder-remote-starter-manual-transmission-bad-idea/
A Mustang GT owner in Florida brought his car to the local dealer for repair of a bad clutch. Told that parts wouldn’t be in for a few days, the man went to pick up his ride; all was well until the service advisor used the remote starter to fire it up. Guess what? The car was in gear, with the emergency brake off, and shot across the parking lot before plunging into a retention pond. Bummer.

As usual, anyone who doesn't use the park brake is a retard.

Aug 23, 2000
People in other contries run there car. I turn mine off w/e

Using a Cell phone in what way? Calling? I Just use it to tally down my mileage and gallons

People that believe a cell phone will ignite gas are ignorant. Myth Busters has debunked this myth.

Also as for a running engine creating a "hot source to ignite gas" or Alternator causing a spark, are you people spraying gas on your engine? It goes in the gas tank people.

As far as hot exhaust causing ignition, it won't. Think about it for a minute. The exhaust is going to be as hot if not just a little less with the car turned off while pumping gas as it would be when idling.

Most gas pump fires are started because some idiot was smoking when pumping gas and the ones that survived blamed it on something else.
If there was enough gas vapor in the area to ignite and cause a fireball, you'd probably be unconseous from the fumes before they ignited.

Aug 23, 2000
Not so! Installing it on a manual is actually just as easy as doing it for an automatic. Some manual cars won't start unless you hold the clutch while auomatics don't start unless you hold the brakes when starting; either way it's a single thing to override.

http://www.ridelust.com/reminder-remote-starter-manual-transmission-bad-idea/

As usual, anyone who doesn't use the park brake is a retard.

Because you can do something does not mean you should do something.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Apparently you live at the gas station and don't have to drive to get there. Most of the rest of us live in houses or apartments so by the time we get to the gas station, our cars are already warm or cool (depending on the season).

ZV

When it is -15F, windy, and blowing snow. It is worth it to me to sit in my car as the gas is pumping. This is especially true because (for whatever reason) the gas takes forever to pump in the extreme cold. Summer, not as big of a deal...It isamazing how quickly your can cools down after you open/close the door a few times getting in/out in the extreme sold when the heat is not on...

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Why are you getting in and out a few times?
-get out
-pump gas
-get in
-drive away

Do you leave your door open while pumping gas in the winter? You have to open and close the door 2x minimum unless you leave it open. I can spell it out if you like...

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
And a quick call to the police will get you fined. I'll be more than happy to make the call if you do it next to me.

Of course, the last time some asshole decided to leave his running after I asked him not to (he then went inside the store to pay), I helped him turn his car off. I wonder if he ever found his keys.

There is absolutely no reason to put people at risk in a situation like this, no matter how small the risk.

Then a quick call to the police by someone else watching could get you arrested. I'd be more than happy to do that for you.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
For car guys, a lot of you don't seem to be really thinking for yourselves, rather repeating old wives tales

Spill a cup or two (hell, a half gallon) on the ground and the fumes make it up to the alternator which is 10' away with a freaking CAR in the way? By the way, alternators aren't exactly magic spark factories, they're not external spark plugs waiting to ignite any trace amount of gasoline fumes that pass by. People get fuel leaks all the time, UNDERNEATH the hood, inches from the alternator and tons of hot metal, and most of the time it wont ignite. I know because my old car used to do it all the time.

Drip down the side of the car and get ignited by the exhaust? Have you ever felt exhaust? It's not hot by the time it gets anywhere near the tailpipe. Your body panels are likely hotter if its a sunny day.

A bunch of electrical contacts? On your rear fender? Gimme a break.

Only plausible scenario I've ever heard is static electricity, discharged when you grab the pump

while i do agree with you that there is little chance of those planets aligning and blowing up my truck at a gas station, the car in front of you is fairly close to your intake. and you cant control how clumsy they are. ive never worried about blowing up at any gas station, even when i (or anyone else) spilled gas. the only thing im fairly mindful of is the static thing. they say its the younger generation that is most affected, since they dont really rely on grabbing the side of the car or the door to get out of their vehicle. i usually shock my kids when we get out of the truck, so i started touching the metal of the truck as i get out. havent blown up yet.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
No shortage of 2 bit opinions in this thread :)

Here's mine
A I'll get back in the car when its cold , minvans take some time to fill
B I'll shut off if they require it but would prefer to leave it running
C I don't mind if somebody leaves their car running, its a dumb rule

Lastly my buddy had his remote start in his manual and started it in gear. He did have the e-brake on but it was in an icy parking lot so the car sped away anyway. When its really cold out they throttle up at start up and it was really getting some traction w FWD!! So he's running in the parking lot in his cowboy boots trying to get close to the car to kill it w the remote and does so. It stopped grille to grille w another car just so I could squeeze my legs between the two. Hilarious

He did manage to drive it into a ball diamond fence at one of our games though.
Hilarious again, as at the time this was new tech and he was showing off and drove his new car into damage. . . .

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I have always left my car running when refilling.
I almost always get back in my car during the fill up as well.

Even if the gas nozzle doesn't have the holder clips, I stuff my gas cap under the trigger to keep it engaged.
All nozzles have the anti-overflow feature, regardless if it has the holder clips or not.

I refuse to be inconvenienced thousands of times in my life because of a 1 in 10 million chance of starting a fire. (I bet 1 in 10mil is pretty accurate)

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Do you leave your door open while pumping gas in the winter? You have to open and close the door 2x minimum unless you leave it open. I can spell it out if you like...

Uh no? Get out, close the door, pump gas, open the door, get in, drive away.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002

LOL, what a douche.
What other risks do you force people to mitigate?

Mar 10, 2005
the one time i left the motor running on a ford e-350, i noticed the fuel gauge did not move, or just barely. after a quick restart the gauge went to Full.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Please feel free to post news articles where a car left on while pumping ignited and caught on fire.

I'll take the risk, I have more a chance of dying crossing the street.

IcePickFreak

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2007

:rolleyes:
Internet tough guy is so 1990's.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Please feel free to post news articles where a car left on while pumping ignited and caught on fire.

I'll take the risk, I have more a chance of dying crossing the street.

Okay, but the risk clearly wouldn't be limited to just you... :biggrin:

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
the one time i left the motor running on a ford e-350, i noticed the fuel gauge did not move, or just barely. after a quick restart the gauge went to Full.
My F150 does that. For some reason it doesn't move until you turn the ignition off then back on. I don't understand that, because how would it monitor gas while driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.