Romney lost because...

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Last I checked Republicans were against planned parenthood and they do a lot more than just abortions.

I don't know who is not crazy. I have always voted republican and this time around I didn't vote for a single one.

They are against public funding for planned parenthood. What is your point? Do you believe women are incapable of taking care of their own health needs?

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Romney:

Roe vs Wade: Wants to repeal it
Abortion: Against
Planned Parenthood: Wants to defund it.
Morning after pill: Against
Stem Cell Research: Against

These positions are not going to work. ESPECIALLY when there are up to 3 Supreme Court seats in play.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
They are against public funding for planned parenthood. What is your point? Do you believe women are incapable of taking care of their own health needs?

Some women ARE incapable of taking care of their own health needs. Are you that fucking stupid to ask such an idiotic question?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
WTF is wrong with you!?

Speaking the truth is not an issue.

If you think that the government not funding special health clinics for women, is a "war on women". You are saying that you do not think women are capable of taking care of their own health needs.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009

If you think that the government not funding special health clinics for women, is a "war on women". You are saying that you do not think women are capable of taking care of their own health needs.

Your grouping of all women together is where you fail. And why people label you as a sexist and worse.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Romney:

Roe vs Wade: Wants to repeal it
Abortion: Against
Planned Parenthood: Wants to defund it.
Morning after pill: Against
Stem Cell Research: Against

These positions are not going to work. ESPECIALLY when there are up to 3 Supreme Court seats in play.

And especially when he took the exact opposite position years ago.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
A Mormon in the White House would of been a scary thought for many Christians.

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
Romney's platform, generally, was to say that he wasn't Obama. That's why he had so much trouble getting the Republican nomination - he's never really had a strong platform.

Republicans have also come to a cross-roads in their party's existence. It was reflected in the race for the republican nomination. They have so many wildly splintered (and sometimes extreme) factions that it is difficult for a candidate to really appeal to all of those factions. Even when he/she does, the risk of turning off moderates is high. For example, I'm a democrat, but I could easily be convinced to vote for Republican Bot 3k if that candidate would do nothing but straighten out our finances, no matter how politically inconvenient it may be.

Additionally, democrats, historically far less organized, have mobilized heavily of late. It is difficult to beat a guy who dominates with virtually all minority categories, in addition to single women and 18-32 year old voters, but who still does respectably well in the remaining categories save for Evangelicals and Men 55+.

Last edited:

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
It wasn't a close race.

:thumbsup:
303-206 is close apparently. Haha. Poor conservatives are trying to grasp at any they could just to satisfy some faux sense of victory.

Even I have to admit it was a close race. If 300,000 more people had voted for Romney he could have taken Ohio, Florida and Virginia and a rinky dink 4+electoral vote state.

That's 300 thousand out of nearly 120 million votes. That's a very narrow margin.
It only looks like a huge victory because of the winner take all electoral college.

That said, Obama had a lot going against him. In this show me results now climate he inherited the second worst economic disaster in our history. No one could have done much better than he did, but it still worked against him..

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Even I have to admit it was a close race. If 300,000 more people had voted for Romney he could have taken Ohio, Florida and Virginia and a rinky dink 4+electoral vote state.

That's 300 thousand out of nearly 120 million votes. That's a very narrow margin.
It only looks like a huge victory because of the winner take all electoral college.

That said, Obama had a lot going against him. In this show me results now climate he inherited the second worst economic disaster in our history. No one could have done much better than he did, but it still worked against him..

agreed...
2 wars for over 10 years... that's where all our money is.. tanks and planes and troops in 2 locations cost alot of cash DAILY..

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
Because him and the republican party continue to go after only white male voters, a shrinking demographic.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Team rape was, apparently, not as strong as it thought it was.

this

Romney didn't lose so much as Obama won. America wants a centrist, and Obama delivered.

and this.

....but I still contend that Romney lost because he wouldn't accept that truth. ....maybe it is hard to put yourself up against someone and generally claim to be the same person. Maybe this is why Romney sat squarely on all sides of every issue? His attempt to appear "centrist?"

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010

You have to know that if the EC didn't exist both campaigns would have been run very differently. Results would have been much different, they would have focused on very different things and places.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Your grouping of all women together is where you fail. And why people label you as a sexist and worse.

Actually that was democrats. They stated the defunding planned parenthood, which as you point out affects only some women, was a "war on women"(implicitly all women).

Democrats are the ones saying women are helpless and need the government to care for them.

And then get their panties in a knot when they get called on their misogyny and hypocrisy.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010

First, you make it sound like 300,000 vote is a small enough number to narrow the gap. 300,000 is the population of a few metropolitan areas...Second, they're called Battleground states for a reason, where margins are expected to be close...so there's fallacy in your argument already. Third, Obama won all the swing states.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

where is the naughty place that the evil woman touched you?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
You have to know that if the EC didn't exist both campaigns would have been run very differently. Results would have been much different, they would have focused on very different things and places.

And if the queen had balls, she'd be the king.

Well, yes about the Queen.

While the race would have been run differently without the EC, the very narrrow margins still showed how close it was. With both sides going all out in places like Florida, Ohio and Virginia the margins of victory were razor thin.