News Roe v. Wade overturned

Page 121 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
You really think that would be the straw that broke the camel's back? People didn't give a shit when trump played favorites with covid supplies, they aren't going to care about this.
It would have a huge impact, if nothing else on shifting demographics. Poor quality control or impacted supplies would have devestating effect on the oldest, who take far and away the most drugs. They also happen to be the biggest conservative voting bloc.

Reactions: Brainonska511

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
remember when these fucking ghouls tried to promise everyone that blocking abortion should be at the state level?

Yeah, no one believed them.

Republicans are the worst fucking humans that have ever lived. I don't understand why they hate humanity so fucking much. They will kill us all if we let them.
That's their only job, and it's only ever been their only job.

It's not one people and it's not in one place. It's everywhere, and it's called different things. Here, they're Republicans. In Ukraine, it's Putin and his allies.

This is just the beginning. It's never not been around, sometimes there is just enough chaos that it can boil and froth and scald the things around it.

Reactions: KMFJD and ch33zw1z

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
this is also a bit strange isn't it, spray painting a crisis pregnancy centre gets you much worse charges than setting fire to a planned parenthood centre

Reactions: hal2kilo

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Well, here is an interesting way that abortion may still be protected.

Judge: Abortion may still be protected by different constitutional amendment despite SCOTUS ruling | Salon.com

A federal judge on Monday suggested that abortion may still be protected under the Constitution despite the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade.

U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly, who is overseeing a criminal case against 10 anti-abortion activists, said in an order that the Supreme Court's Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization ruling only found that the 14th Amendment did not provide a right to abortion but did not rule out that it may be covered under other constitutional protections, Politico first reported.

"t is entirely possible that the Court might have held in Dobbs that some other provision of the Constitution provided a right to access reproductive services had that issue been raised," the order said. "However, it was not raised."

Kollar-Kotelly, a Clinton appointee, wrote that the 13th Amendment, which sought to ban slavery and involuntary servitude, "has received substantial attention among scholars and, briefly, in one federal Court of Appeals decision" on whether it could apply to abortion.

Reactions: Leeea

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Well, here is an interesting way that abortion may still be protected.

Judge: Abortion may still be protected by different constitutional amendment despite SCOTUS ruling | Salon.com

A federal judge on Monday suggested that abortion may still be protected under the Constitution despite the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade.

U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly, who is overseeing a criminal case against 10 anti-abortion activists, said in an order that the Supreme Court's Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization ruling only found that the 14th Amendment did not provide a right to abortion but did not rule out that it may be covered under other constitutional protections, Politico first reported.
They tossed out the 14th amendment argument, why would they even entertain an even weaker 13th amendment argument? They did not toss our Row v Wade based on well thought out legal theories. They did it based on ideological stance. No argument can win when their minds were made up before they even heard the case.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
They tossed out the 14th amendment argument, why would they even entertain an even weaker 13th amendment argument? They did not toss our Row v Wade based on well thought out legal theories. They did it based on ideological stance. No argument can win when their minds were made up before they even heard the case.
Probably, but it buys time and shows the clowns for what they are.

Reactions: Leeea and hal2kilo

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
So under the 13th pregnancy is now Slavery and involuntary servitude.

Quite a reach.....

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Is it though? What is slavery other than a lack of body autonomy? If you cant make decisions regarding your body/welfare, id call that de facto slavery.
I understand your point I just think that takes the intent of the amendment and goes far beyond it. I mean I oppose drug laws and think people should be able to put whatever they want in their bodies but drug laws aren’t slavery.

I think the law now is people choosing to exercise political power under the veneer of legal judgment and if our system is going to work that’s not a good answer.

Reactions: Leeea and pcgeek11

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yes, conservatives don’t intend for our system to work. They’ve made it clear, their way or the highway, they just spent 50 years on something, facts be damned.

Reactions: Leeea and hal2kilo

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Not gonna lie. I’m picturing your response if you could somehow get pregnant and were forced to remain so by the government.

I mean most of you lost your shit at the thought of vaccines or being forced to wear a mask to enter a private business.
I don't see the issue. Those positions have one thing in common, assuring there are lots of people who grow up with an unconsciousa death wish. Misery loves company.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Not gonna lie. I’m picturing your response if you could somehow get pregnant and were forced to remain so by the government.

I mean most of you lost your shit at the thought of vaccines or being forced to wear a mask to enter a private business.

I don't "lose my shit", I'm well past that stage in my life. But to relate pregnancy to Slavery and involuntary servitude is just stupid in my opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
When you say that abortion laws are slavery you give ammo to the crazies who want to outlaw abortion and you do it for no gain.

SCOTUS is not going to suddenly discover a right to abortion in the 13th amendment but saying they should will convince a lot of people on the fence that you’re stupid.

Anti abortion people are crazies. Keep the focus on their insanity, don’t blur it by being crazy the other way.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
So all you men and women out there if you have children you are promoting Slavery and Involuntary Servitude.

What a joke.

:p

No. Being Pregnant is not offensive. Forcing someone to be Pregnant when they don't want to be, is offensive.

Reactions: cytg111