News Roe v. Wade overturned

Page 120 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
It’s not illegal for people to leak draft SCOTUS opinions as far as I know.

I didn't mean to imply that it was illegal. Just that if they desire an answer they should get the FBI involved. It is illegal to lie to the FBI where you can lie to a scouts marshal.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I didn't mean to imply that it was illegal. Just that if they desire an answer they should get the FBI involved. It is illegal to lie to the FBI where you can lie to a scouts marshal.
I think it’s a bad idea to have the FBI investigate things that aren’t illegal.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
If it isn't illegal, isn't that just politicizing the FBI (as well as wasting their time)?

No, I think of it as restoring some faith back into the SCOTUS that has never had a leak before now. (that I know of)

The facts are not political they are just facts.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
First off it is probably too late for that, just on a practical matter it becomes much harder to perform an investigation that focus strongly on interviews when there has already been one, it gives the subjects the information on what the likely questions will be and time to get their story straight. It is why police are never interviewed before they get to talk to their union rep.

Second, I'm not so sure that it would still be illegal to lie to the FBI if they are not doing an investigation of a crime. I think that a judge would rule that it could not be obstruction of justice when there is no expectation of a criminal prosecution.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
What good is an internal investigation if the 9 justices are not interviewed?

If SCOTUS is really concerned about the leaker they would ask DOJ to takeover.

Absent that they have given the express permission for future leaks

Last edited:
Reactions: Pohemi

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Found this in the comments section of an article I read recently. I thought it would fit in here. Apologies if it's been previously posted. It's a good refresher.

“Pro-lifers” don’t think about the lives of the mothers. Or orphans. Or foster children. Or the poor. Or the abused kids whose parents didn’t want them. They only care about the fetuses they didn’t help make, won’t help raise, or even think about once they’re born.

The same Republicans railing against abortion in the name of being “pro-life” oppose:
-A living wage
-Climate action
-Gun safety
-Mask mandates
-Elderly home-care
-Food stamps
-Universal health care
-Ending the death penalty

No the GOP is not pro-life

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
What good is an internal investigation of the 9 justices are not interviewed?

I mean, if the author of the opinion is the leaker, aren't they just expressing their 1A rights? Can the govt prevent a SC justice from leaking their own opinion?

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the leak was one of the Justices. And if so they are just protecting their own.

Regardless the leak had its desired effect and here we are. I just found it odd that with a very limited number of people that had access (I read it was about 87 people) they didn't get anywhere with the investigation.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
What good is an internal investigation of the 9 justices are not interviewed?

There's that separation of powers bug a boo.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
oh yeah, they're working on that one

And to be clear they judge shopped to get this same federal judge who has routinely and repeatedly made absolutely insane rulings that are eventually overturned. The odds of him ruling in favor of Republicans and issuing a national injunction are extremely high.

More judicial Calvinball incoming!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
No, I think of it as restoring some faith back into the SCOTUS that has never had a leak before now. (that I know of)

The facts are not political they are just facts.

This entire situation is specifically political. it is only political. This is by far the most political, anti-judicial SCOTUS in history.

Of course you must know these facts by now, yes?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
remember when these fucking ghouls tried to promise everyone that blocking abortion should be at the state level?

Yeah, no one believed them.

Republicans are the worst fucking humans that have ever lived. I don't understand why they hate humanity so fucking much. They will kill us all if we let them.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Reactions: Fenixgoon

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
I would fucking LOVE to see these cucks defang the FDA. Everyones drug supplies would go to shit, it wojld be a fucking nightmare and no one would vote repub for 100 years.

Except hundreds of thousands of people would die and dems would manage to look complicit somehow.

Reactions: Brainonska511

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I would fucking LOVE to see these cucks defang the FDA. Everyones drug supplies would go to shit, it wojld be a fucking nightmare and no one would vote repub for 100 years.

Except hundreds of thousands of people would die and dems would manage to look complicit somehow.
You really think that would be the straw that broke the camel's back? People didn't give a shit when trump played favorites with covid supplies, they aren't going to care about this.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Found this in the comments section of an article I read recently. I thought it would fit in here. Apologies if it's been previously posted. It's a good refresher.
As George Carlin said....they are pro birth. Because if they were pro life, they'd be doing all those other things listed