RIP dennilfloss

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

crab

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2001
I've got a $100 bill here towards a full page spread in his local paper, but I'm too busy to coordinate it or draw something up. Anyone?

I think it would be grand. The man deserves an obituary, ATOT style.

I was mad at him for a long time for what he did years ago, but I put that past awhile back. I've missed the songs since he's been back.

I'll put $200 up if anything is going to happen...

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Just noticed this thread at the top (I rarely glance at stickied topics) and was shocked and saddened when I read the title.

I didn't know Denis well (or at all really) but my interactions with him have been pleasant. He put it all out there and his candor will be missed.

Note: I wasn't around during the hoax, so only knew him after he came back to the site. he was always a positive contributor in my time here.

Dennis Travis

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Wow, I used to talk to him in the old days here on the forums and lost touch with him and many others from here. So sad to hear of his passing.

RIP dennilfloss

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Wow, I used to talk to him in the old days here on the forums and lost touch with him and many others from here. So sad to hear of his passing.

RIP dennilfloss

Same here.... even saw the post in the Anandtech Diablo 3 clan "RIP dinnifloss" and thought he had quit the game:'(

He will be missed.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Always sad when we lose an AT member,RIP dennilfloss you'll be missed.

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Flossie's dead.

It's weird. I'm not exactly saddened by it (he was damn weird, with his alien abductions and fake dead girlfriends and all, and all the damage he did to the community we used to have here), but it's sort of the end of an era I guess.

When I started here, everyone was real. Everyone was truthful, it was assumed. Then Dennis killed his girlfriend and we all mourned. Only she wasn't real and it was all bullshit.

We all ate crow and realized that people on the internet can lie.

You younger kids don't realize how powerful and painful that was. The internet back then was the domain of geeks and goofballs. Normal people didn't waste their time with it and looked sideways those of us who did. It was our place, and it was different. We typed our thoughts and people typed their responses and it was all real and true and things were good.

We trusted people. It sounds misguided, in this day and age, but we did. We took posters at face value. We belived the words they wrote. There were trolls, but they were easy to spot and easy to ignore. We made friends. ATOT was a place where we could be ourselves and interact with people like us. It was good.

Then the internet got bigger. More people were online, and more people joined the forums. Dennis was one of them. He was Dennis Fillion, at first, and switched to Dennilfloss when the boards moved to Fusetalk. He was a prolific poster. He wasn't real, though.

He made up a girlfriend and based her name on a well-known troll of the time. He killed her off and made everyone mourn her passing once she got too popular. His lie was the first lie online that most of us encountered. You younger kids are used to people being full of shit on the internet, but back then it was unheard of.

Dennis taught us that people on the internet can lie. He taught us that people will manipulate our feelings for attention. He taught us that the things we read online might be bullshit.

He was the first to kill the fantasy that we'd all created. He was the first troll to bring us real pain.

He was the one who brought the ugly side of reality to us all. He kinda sorta acknowledged his role in all of it after several years ( after being called on it) but he always avoided taking responsibility and he never apoligized to the many people he wronged. Now he's dead, and I'm not quite sure how I should feel.

I guess I'm supposed to say 'Rest in Peace' even though I don't really mean it?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Flossie's dead.

It's weird. I'm not exactly saddened by it (he was damn weird, with his alien abductions and fake dead girlfriends and all, and all the damage he did to the community we used to have here), but it's sort of the end of an era I guess.

When I started here, everyone was real. Everyone was truthful, it was assumed. Then Dennis killed his girlfriend and we all mourned. Only she wasn't real and it was all bullshit.

We all ate crow and realized that people on the internet can lie.

You younger kids don't realize how powerful and painful that was. The internet back then was the domain of geeks and goofballs. Normal people didn't waste their time with it and looked sideways those of us who did. It was our place, and it was different. We typed our thoughts and people typed their responses and it was all real and true and things were good.

We trusted people. It sounds misguided, in this day and age, but we did. We took posters at face value. We belived the words they wrote. There were trolls, but they were easy to spot and easy to ignore. We made friends. ATOT was a place where we could be ourselves and interact with people like us. It was good.

Then the internet got bigger. More people were online, and more people joined the forums. Dennis was one of them. He was Dennis Fillion, at first, and switched to Dennilfloss when the boards moved to Fusetalk. He was a prolific poster. He wasn't real, though.

He made up a girlfriend and based her name on a well-known troll of the time. He killed her off and made everyone mourn her passing once she got too popular. His lie was the first lie online that most of us encountered. You younger kids are used to people being full of shit on the internet, but back then it was unheard of.

Dennis taught us that people on the internet can lie. He taught us that people will manipulate our feelings for attention. He taught us that the things we read online might be bullshit.

He was the first to kill the fantasy that we'd all created. He was the first troll to bring us real pain.

He was the one who brought the ugly side of reality to us all. He kinda sorta acknowledged his role in all of it after several years ( after being called on it) but he always avoided taking responsibility and he never apoligized to the many people he wronged. Now he's dead, and I'm not quite sure how I should feel.

I guess I'm supposed to say 'Rest in Peace' even though I don't really mean it?

QFT and now the new guard here always put "why talk to strangers".

People today want to be islands.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
reitz, it's been a long time since I thought about when most people were straight shooters and you could take what they wrote at face value. It was a good thing.

Nice to see you post.