RIP dennilfloss

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vinny N

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2000
Thanks for the recap reitz...it was really was different back then, you could be a little naive on the internet and it wasn't the worse thing in the world...

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
He had such a unique voice, I knew a post was his even if I didn't see the name or avatar.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
When I started here, everyone was real. Everyone was truthful, it was assumed. Then Dennis killed his girlfriend and we all mourned. Only she wasn't real and it was all bullshit.

We all ate crow and realized that people on the internet can lie.

You younger kids don't realize how powerful and painful that was. The internet back then was the domain of geeks and goofballs. Normal people didn't waste their time with it and looked sideways those of us who did. It was our place, and it was different. We typed our thoughts and people typed their responses and it was all real and true and things were good.

We trusted people. It sounds misguided, in this day and age, but we did. We took posters at face value. We belived the words they wrote. There were trolls, but they were easy to spot and easy to ignore. We made friends. ATOT was a place where we could be ourselves and interact with people like us. It was good.

Then the internet got bigger. More people were online, and more people joined the forums.

[...]

Dennis taught us that people on the internet can lie. He taught us that people will manipulate our feelings for attention. He taught us that the things we read online might be bullshit.

He was the first to kill the fantasy that we'd all created. He was the first troll to bring us real pain.

Well said, Matt, and evocative of an entirely different time, on ATF and the web in general. :thumbsup:

Back in the day, I used to be able to call, say, HP, and get through to high level engineers (not CSR monkey-boys), who were glad to talk at length about the technical aspects of their products. It was truly a different time and place.

In the several "old heads chime in" OT threads, I've noticed that so many of us old head traders came to AT FS/FT from AGN. Let me tell you, we felt like a band of brothers back in that day. When you traded with someone, you felt like you'd made a friend for life.

Most of you current day posters don't know this, but before the rise of social media and general net usage , ATF was one of the top ten largest forum sites in any language, on any topic. :eek:

Now, we are somewhere between 5,000th and 10,000th or so. :D

And so, we few, we hardy few, we band of brothers were a genuine community of like minded souls . . . active, engaged, non-crazy 'puter enthusiasts, not a disparate collection of trolls, teens and shut-ins. Far from being basement dwellers, we were mostly guys in our twenties and thirties who were excited to "get under the hood" and juice that Celly 300 all the way to 450, which made a genuine, more than "just noticeable", real life difference in your 'puters performance. :cool:

Different times, is all. I miss them, too.

He was the one who brought the ugly side of reality to us all. He kinda sorta acknowledged his role in all of it after several years ( after being called on it) but he always avoided taking responsibility and he never apoligized to the many people he wronged. Now he's dead, and I'm not quite sure how I should feel.

I, too, was incredibly angry at Denis for his betrayal of our trust. The entire mod squad was, as you know, Matt. But, each year, over many years, Denis would very respectfully and humbly petition for re-entry to ATF, all the while admitting and apologizing for what he'd done.

Time heals all wounds, and, eventually, I and the other mods let him back in . . . but not for YEARS.

I came to see Denis as an incredibly erudite and absolutely gentle soul. Forgiveness certainly came to my heart. He was, in his second incarnation, an always interesting, quality poster.

I will miss his gentle presence, and our forums are a slightly diminished place for his passing.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Well said, Matt, and evocative of an entirely different time, on ATF and the web in general. :thumbsup:

Back in the day, I used to be able to call, say, HP, and get through to high level engineers (not CSR monkey-boys), who were glad to talk at length about the technical aspects of their products. It was truly a different time and place.

In the several "old heads chime in" OT threads, I've noticed that so many of us old head traders came to AT FS/FT from AGN. Let me tell you, we felt like a band of brothers back in that day. When you traded with someone, you felt like you'd made a friend for life.

Most of you current day posters don't know this, but before the rise of social media and general net usage , ATF was one of the top ten largest forum sites in any language, on any topic. :eek:

Now, we are somewhere between 5,000th and 10,000th or so. :D

And so, we few, we hardy few, we band of brothers were a genuine community of like minded souls . . . active, engaged, non-crazy 'puter enthusiasts, not a disparate collection of trolls, teens and shut-ins. Far from being basement dwellers, we were mostly guys in our twenties and thirties who were excited to "get under the hood" and juice that Celly 300 all the way to 450, which made a genuine, more than "just noticeable", real life difference in your 'puters performance. :cool:

Different times, is all. I miss them, too.

I, too, was incredibly angry at Denis for his betrayal of our trust. The entire mod squad was, as you know, Matt. But, each year, over many years, Denis would very respectfully and humbly petition for re-entry to ATF, all the while admitting and apologizing for what he'd done.

Time heals all wounds, and, eventually, I and the other mods let him back in . . . but not for YEARS.

I came to see Denis as an incredibly erudite and absolutely gentle soul. Forgiveness certainly came to my heart. He was, in his second incarnation, an always interesting, quality poster.

I will miss his gentle presence, and our forums are a slightly diminished place for his passing.
:thumbsup:

AstroGuardian

May 8, 2006
Haven't logged in for few years straight. And somehow first thing i saw was a RIP thread.
I have no idea what is happening in this world. I am born november 22-nd 1981 and people my age are dropping like flies. Colleagues, friends, relatives.... they just die. 12 people in the past couple of years. Slowly i am going crazy just of thinking about it. what the hell....

RIP Dennis

https://www.blogger.com/profile/06234780222264601955

Last edited:

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Flossie's dead.

It's weird. I'm not exactly saddened by it (he was damn weird, with his alien abductions and fake dead girlfriends and all, and all the damage he did to the community we used to have here), but it's sort of the end of an era I guess.

When I started here, everyone was real. Everyone was truthful, it was assumed. Then Dennis killed his girlfriend and we all mourned. Only she wasn't real and it was all bullshit.

We all ate crow and realized that people on the internet can lie.

You younger kids don't realize how powerful and painful that was. The internet back then was the domain of geeks and goofballs. Normal people didn't waste their time with it and looked sideways those of us who did. It was our place, and it was different. We typed our thoughts and people typed their responses and it was all real and true and things were good.

We trusted people. It sounds misguided, in this day and age, but we did. We took posters at face value. We belived the words they wrote. There were trolls, but they were easy to spot and easy to ignore. We made friends. ATOT was a place where we could be ourselves and interact with people like us. It was good.

Then the internet got bigger. More people were online, and more people joined the forums. Dennis was one of them. He was Dennis Fillion, at first, and switched to Dennilfloss when the boards moved to Fusetalk. He was a prolific poster. He wasn't real, though.

He made up a girlfriend and based her name on a well-known troll of the time. He killed her off and made everyone mourn her passing once she got too popular. His lie was the first lie online that most of us encountered. You younger kids are used to people being full of shit on the internet, but back then it was unheard of.

Dennis taught us that people on the internet can lie. He taught us that people will manipulate our feelings for attention. He taught us that the things we read online might be bullshit.

He was the first to kill the fantasy that we'd all created. He was the first troll to bring us real pain.

He was the one who brought the ugly side of reality to us all. He kinda sorta acknowledged his role in all of it after several years ( after being called on it) but he always avoided taking responsibility and he never apoligized to the many people he wronged. Now he's dead, and I'm not quite sure how I should feel.

I guess I'm supposed to say 'Rest in Peace' even though I don't really mean it?

inappropriate image deleted

I suppose my image was inappropriate, but I feel that his post is equally if not more so. Trolls and tricks have been happening across all forms of media. War of the World's with Orson Well's, do you think people showed up throwing stones at his eulogy? What about a rape in cyberspace? If Mr. Bungle died do you think somebody would be coming into that farewell thread screaming butthurt?

Deception and gullibility are part of human nature, it's up to you to not be so gullible.

Last edited:

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Sorry to hear this. I spent an afternoon with Dennilfloss many years ago at the military museum in Ottawa. A strange fellow for sure, but his posts were regularly of value.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Sorry to hear this. I spent an afternoon with Dennilfloss many years ago at the military museum in Ottawa. A strange fellow for sure, but his posts were regularly of value.

Woah.........look who showed up! Skoorb -- errr, I mean, StageLeft.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i randomly accidentally found this thread from a google search :(
c5_5.gif
dennilfloss

arcenite

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
I just found this on reddit... no way. I am sorry to learn this. What else did I miss?

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Coming up to the 1 year anniversary of his loss. Sad. How quickly time flies by.