Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 76 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Been dealing with foot pain stopping me from doing basic activities, ladders being one of them, so couldn't work on my garage like I wanted.

Finally got my cortisone shot today, so hopefully that will fix the pain. That's normally only temporary though but I was told for some people it's permanent. Hoping that will be the case for me. Either way it will buy me 6 months or so to get all the stuff I wanted to get done in summer. I'll start with the garage, then maybe if the snow does not come after that I will start on my off grid property. I don't have any vacation left anymore so only really going to get days off here and there to work on that stuff.

As I type this it's hurting pretty bad though and probably will for next few days but it's normal.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I've been working on a field project for the past couple weeks. The day before I arrived, one of the outgoing techs taped a picture of his dog to a wall in the office trailer. Two weeks later, there are almost a hundred pet pics on the wall. :)

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
As I type this it's hurting pretty bad though and probably will for next few days but it's normal.

Your feet are two of those things you tend to take for granted until there's a problem and then they're ALL you can think about!

This the result of an old injury or something?

Reactions: highland145

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Your feet are two of those things you tend to take for granted until there's a problem and then they're ALL you can think about!

This the result of an old injury or something?

Yeah I never thought I'd have feet problems at this age. This just came out of nowhere, it's genetic apparently. Both my parents have it. But I think snowshoeing aggravated it. It's a very unnatural foot movement since you're keeping your foot straight to walk instead of letting it "roll" and every step you are holding the weight of the snow shoe with end of toes so it's pulling on muscles that are normally not meant to be pulled in that way. And we're doing this at like 10km/h. My friend who is always begging me to go goes way too fast and I'm always trying to keep up. So combination of all that probalby didn't help. Told him this year I'm just going to jog behind him. The trail is usually packed down anyway.

That reminds me I should probably look into new winter boots and then get orthotics for those too. I need orthotics now because of this.

That said the pain is much better now, the question is just how long will this last... cortisone is usually only good for a few months it's not a permanent fix. It does not really fix it, it just numbs the pain.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
You can get that same kind of pain cross-country skiing... not quite as badly though because at least some of the time you'll be "gliding" not "schlepping" 100% of the time like on snow-shoes!

And I used to get cortisone shots in my wrist regularly for pain. They would help for roughly 3-4 months then I would have to go back for a another.... it's not an actual "fix" only a band-aid.

Fortunately my wrist healed up on its own and I no longer need them! (I cut back on the fapping!)

:p

• Haha
Reactions: BudAshes

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I decided to switch to the super platinum premium dishwasher cascade pods from Costco, and they were on sale. Now I can run my dishwasher on the quick wash and everything comes out clean instead of doing a regular or heavy duty wash.

I do try to use mostly eco-friendly cleaning products- kitchen spray, bathroom spray, bon ami, stainless steel cleaner, laundry detergent - but, in this case I am saving electricity, good for my bill and good for energy demand.

Last edited:

Stiff Clamp

Feb 3, 2021
My MP3 player has risen from the dead!! :openmouth:
Water spilled on it back in March, and ever since, it showed no sign of life. :persevere:

Today I pick it up, thinking of tossing it, but first hit the power button (hey why not?) and *bam* starts right up. :sunglasses: Last thing I expected. Hadn't even charged it since it got wet.
I was going to play music on the way to work, but turns out I removed the microSD card months ago - so the player had nothing to play.

Losing that player was painful because it has an awesome decoder to make my music sound glorious. The model I replaced it with sounds like trash, comparatively. I was so bummed.

FiioM3K.jpg

Jul 27, 2020
Bought a "renewed" 14-inch Dell Latitude on Amazon. Got it in good condition. Core i5-6300U. 16GB RAM. 256GB Intel SATA SSD which was a surprise (97% life remaining). Battery seems to be fine. Windows 11 Pro. Cost me less than $163.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Many years ago, some pendejo stole the butt plug out of the receiver hitch on my FJ. I never bothered to replace it because it was cosmetic only. I went for a hike today and came across a matching Toyota butt plug out in the middle of nowhere, thirty feet from a very rough two track. I've never been able to get a vehicle down this road, not even a UTV, being on the wrong side of a rock-crawling section. I wonder if monsoon floods buried the obstacles, hmm.

1665437534501.png

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
When we bought land last year the terms of sale gave the seller a year to get rid of a container or it became ours. Finally, a year and a half later, it’s gone.

1671399809761.jpeg

Reactions: Ajay and Kaido

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
It was a pack rat ridden eyesore. Containers are great for shipping stuff but there are much better options for storing stuff. Containers get stupid hot in my climate. The previous owner had drilled a hole to run power which opened the way for the pack rats, Rodent piss really reeks.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Those are crazy expensive now, I would have sold it if you didn't want it. Can probably get like 7 grand for it. That's about what they seem to go for.

I'd love one on my property but can't justify the cost. I can build a more practical shaped shed for that price. Containers are harder to break into though but no matter what if someone wants in, they'll get in.

Hoping to actually start doing more work on my property next summer. I kind of got screwed by my foot issue this summer. By the time I managed to get a cortisone shot it was almost over and all my vacation was used up. 1st order of business is going to be a big shed/garage though. I'm thinking a pole barn as it would be the fastest to go up. I can always build a better structure later down the line. If I do a loft on the pole barn I can still have a proper insulated building envelope for sleeping in. The bottom part would be more or less for storage.

After seeing Into The Wild I kinda want an old bus to convert into a bunk too, going to keep an eye out for that, would be epic to find a GMC fishbowl bus or something for sale. Probably hard to get now days though, our city got rid of those about 10 years ago or so.

I have 40 acres so it's just the thing of clearing enough land and I have room for pretty much any cool thing I come across for cheap.

Reactions: lxskllr

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That's not a bad idea, pile drive 2 I beams through them into the ground then fill with concrete. Throw a ratchet strap and flick it for good measure, and that's not going anywhere.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Arizona was using those containers for a border wall

View attachment 73063
Yes, and besides being illegal, it's stupid idea. Containers have gained a weird fetish status with people trying to use them for all sorts of things for which they are poorly suited, this being a prime example. Ducey's containers provide cover for cross border traffic. There's a reason the actual border wall was built using bollards. The Mexicans should drag those things across the border and sell them. Governor Ducey should be held personally liable for cost of removing the containers and charged with criminal trespass for placing them.

Last edited:
Reactions: KMFJD and Perknose
Nov 17, 2019
Post 1,876 ....

I got a $19.00 check in the mail for the big whopping auto insurance discount/rebate thing a couple of years ago when nobody was driving.

I got one back then too, but I got mad at their stupidity for not just applying it to the next premium. Left it in a drawer, uncashed. Forgot about it.

In the meantime, I changed auto insurance companies and got a massive rate discount, like 40% below what that company was charging.

Got an email a couple of weeks ago ... 'you didn't cash our check ... we're sending a new one'.

This time I cashed it.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Yes, and besides being illegal, it's stupid idea. Containers have gained a weird fetish status with people trying to use them for all sorts of things for which they are poorly suited, this being a prime example. Doucy's containers provide cover for cross border traffic. There's a reason the actual border wall was built using bollards. The Mexicans should drag those things across the border and sell them. Governor Doucy should be held personally liable for cost of removing the containers and charged with criminal trespass for placing them.

My favorite was probably the 'lets buy them off an ocean megafreighter and turn them into dwellings!' followed by 'Uh....wait...now how do we deal with all the incredibly toxic materials they used to prevent corrosion and pest issues?'

Nov 17, 2019
^^^

Container House Which is Made of 7 Shipping Containers | Living in a ...

Shipping Container Homes That Look Absolutely Amazing

Shipping Container Guest House by Jim Poteet | Architecture & Design

5 Steps to Turning a Shipping Container Into a Shipping Container Home

Guessin' they musta' figgered it out.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Guessin' they musta' figgered it out.

You can buy them direct from a manufacturer before they get treated. And there are companies out there that will decontaminate them for you BUT a lot of people decided to do it themselves. Having seen what passes for DIY homeowner work quality over quite a few years I have no doubt that most of those were done incorrectly. Not to mention there was a rash of shady businesses doing the decontamination that are conveniently no longer around should you run into any major health issues

Many also have terrible insulation if any at all. But they were all the rage of social media influencers a couple of years back. I think they've moved on to 'Van Life' now and are currently making that terrible