Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 76 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
twitter.com
Been dealing with foot pain stopping me from doing basic activities, ladders being one of them, so couldn't work on my garage like I wanted.

Finally got my cortisone shot today, so hopefully that will fix the pain. That's normally only temporary though but I was told for some people it's permanent. Hoping that will be the case for me. Either way it will buy me 6 months or so to get all the stuff I wanted to get done in summer. I'll start with the garage, then maybe if the snow does not come after that I will start on my off grid property. I don't have any vacation left anymore so only really going to get days off here and there to work on that stuff.

As I type this it's hurting pretty bad though and probably will for next few days but it's normal.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I've been working on a field project for the past couple weeks. The day before I arrived, one of the outgoing techs taped a picture of his dog to a wall in the office trailer. Two weeks later, there are almost a hundred pet pics on the wall. :)

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
As I type this it's hurting pretty bad though and probably will for next few days but it's normal.
Your feet are two of those things you tend to take for granted until there's a problem and then they're ALL you can think about!

This the result of an old injury or something?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
twitter.com
Your feet are two of those things you tend to take for granted until there's a problem and then they're ALL you can think about!

This the result of an old injury or something?

Yeah I never thought I'd have feet problems at this age. This just came out of nowhere, it's genetic apparently. Both my parents have it. But I think snowshoeing aggravated it. It's a very unnatural foot movement since you're keeping your foot straight to walk instead of letting it "roll" and every step you are holding the weight of the snow shoe with end of toes so it's pulling on muscles that are normally not meant to be pulled in that way. And we're doing this at like 10km/h. My friend who is always begging me to go goes way too fast and I'm always trying to keep up. So combination of all that probalby didn't help. Told him this year I'm just going to jog behind him. The trail is usually packed down anyway.

That reminds me I should probably look into new winter boots and then get orthotics for those too. I need orthotics now because of this.

That said the pain is much better now, the question is just how long will this last... cortisone is usually only good for a few months it's not a permanent fix. It does not really fix it, it just numbs the pain.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
You can get that same kind of pain cross-country skiing... not quite as badly though because at least some of the time you'll be "gliding" not "schlepping" 100% of the time like on snow-shoes!

And I used to get cortisone shots in my wrist regularly for pain. They would help for roughly 3-4 months then I would have to go back for a another.... it's not an actual "fix" only a band-aid.

Fortunately my wrist healed up on its own and I no longer need them! (I cut back on the fapping!)

:p

• Haha
Reactions: BudAshes

ASK THE COMMUNITY