Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 74 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I'm not saying it was a good thing but the games today compared to yesterday...it was a good day.
The bowl games during this whole Covid19 mess have been pretty lackluster.

From players being held out because of possible Covid exposure, players opting out of playing, game cancellations (or matchup) changes, and the effort of some players (they look like they are playing in old NFL pro-bowl games), the bowl season hasn't been nearly as good.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I'm not saying it was a good thing but the games today compared to yesterday...it was a good day.
Yeah, I understood.

I just was saying as a college football fan in general, the last two years' bowl games have been rather lackluster compared to what they usually were (outside of crappy bowl games like the Jiffy Lube Oil Change Bowl that feature two 6-6 teams from Alaska). :p

Reactions: Captante

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
one of my large 3d prints finished - 3days 17hrs of print time (FDM). pretty happy with how it turned out! just need some rattle can paint and it will look pretty good

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
I was doing things in the yard yesterday and forgot to close the side gate.

Today when I got home I let the dogs in the back yard and did a few thing around the house. When I went to let the dogs in they had gotten loose.

I charged out the front door and one dog was sniffing around the front yard. I called him and he ran in the house. I started calling the other dogs and heard car horns honking and then saw my wifes dog running toward me , on the sidewalk, from a block away..

I am thankful I was able to get my dogs back safely. It's rush hour and we live 2 blocks from 2 main streets. I cant imagine losing another animal right now.

I think I thanked god 3 times on the way in the house.

Reactions: Ajay and lxskllr

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
We seem to have survived 15 hours or so of slush / freezing rain not knocking the power out (which is really a miracle with all the trees near power lines in NC). I had even moved all my extension cords into the house so I wouldn't have to dig them out of our cold garage in the middle of the night.

Secondly, I kept a few pairs of my BDUs and my Gor-Tex jacket from my military days a long, long time ago for days like today when I needed to be outside in bad weather like today, and I think I fit in them better now than I did back then (way too much beer and snacks back then). :p

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Got the new tv setup in time for the games today. Of course having amazon install the thing at 6am was sucky as fuck.. The game I really care about comes on in an hour and a half and for some reason I feel beat. I get up everyday at 530. I don't know why I feel so tired..

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Been seeing a telcomm company's trucks in my area lately. Walked over to one with a guy working on a junction box. Holla up. INET over optical fiber is coming to my neighborhood in about 1 month. I'm so very distressed that I won't have the opportunity to talk to a Comcast customer service dork in Bangladesh anymore.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I remember when they were rolling out fibre in my area, I had to sign a NDA. Yeah, it's pretty obvious seeing all the fibre trucks trucks all over town hanging new cables. Customers would sometimes slip through to our line and ask when they can get it and we had to act dumb. "Fibre? We don't have any fibre! I can transfer you to customer service for DSL or dialup though! ".

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
camelcamelcamel reported the tax software I use was $2 below my targeted price. Went and bought it, ended up with another $9 in savings due to those digital and software rewards (that I almost always have lapse) and an Amazon Rewards Day buck off (never heard of that).

Counterbalanced because I then went to have a wisdom tooth cavity filled and pay my house taxes, but heh unexpected good news is always the best even if it's minor.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I remember when they were rolling out fibre in my area, I had to sign a NDA. Yeah, it's pretty obvious seeing all the fibre trucks trucks all over town hanging new cables. Customers would sometimes slip through to our line and ask when they can get it and we had to act dumb. "Fibre? We don't have any fibre! I can transfer you to customer service for DSL or dialup though! ".

*Fiber

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Shopped at Aldi online, got their bakery cookies with M&Ms, Just had two with a mug of hot chocolate…..hmmmmm thank you ATOT, it feels good to have an appetite again ❤️❤️❤️

Reactions: Captante

AMD64Blondie

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2013
Apparently, it's the anniversary of when Rosa Parks stood up for equality on public transportation.

So, Tri-Met(my local public bus company) is letting people ride for free today.
(Portland, OR resident here..)

This is going to be a nice bonus for the day.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I tried roasted red pepper hummus this week and it's delicious. For some reason this stuff tastes like the cheese spread sandwiches my grandmother used to make. I need to find a oil free recipe. I might be able to use it to make a plant-based veggie pizza or a cheese ball.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Well, since competition is hitting our fine city in terms of high speed internet, Comcast just upped my download speed by ~75% without saying a word about it. Surprised they didn't send me a 'Great News!' email. Maybe it's just a tease.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I had no symptoms of anything but since I got into a serious relationship and she asked, I got tested for all STD's so we could have unprotected safe sex.

All clear, all systems go. Had enough unprotected sex to be a little worried, especially that one girl who liked anal. God is good.

AMD64Blondie

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2013
Been seeing a telcomm company's trucks in my area lately. Walked over to one with a guy working on a junction box. Holla up. INET over optical fiber is coming to my neighborhood in about 1 month. I'm so very distressed that I won't have the opportunity to talk to a Comcast customer service dork in Bangladesh anymore.

I'm so jealous. Still stuck with Comcast here in Portland, OR.

Really want fiber-optic gigabit internet...from some other wonderful company that isn't Comcast.

(Oh,and on a happy note..my boss gave me tomorrow & Friday off from work, using my paid vacation time.)

Reactions: Ajay