Republican commisioner doesn't want N****r-rigging

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Agreed. I find it most amusing that "colored people" is now offensive but "people of color" is now politically correct.

I don't find his use of the word "colored" to be offensive....however, it gives me a pretty good indication of what period he grew up in.

Just like the guy who thought it was still cool to refer to Latino/Latinas as "wetbacks" cause thats how it was back in his day.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
s-JIM-GILE-KANSAS-large.jpg

This is a classic excuse....and how do you confuse N****r-rigged with jury-rigged?

He even went so far as to say "Afro-Americanized"...so he knew what he said and what he meant to say.

Source

And here I thought it was always a shortened version of niggardly-rigged! To niggar-rig as in shorting in the amount or quality used in construction. If I remember right I read it in an account of a Sailing Master's complaint to his Captain about " someone pocketing alot of silver to account for the niggardly rigging on a newly commisioned Navy ship."

Now jury-rigged, that has a root you should look up for laughs, Gerry/jerry-rigged I have seen a couple of times described as WWI&II anti German and heard others just as defamatory, mex-rigged, beloved patriot-rigged, Jew-rigged,etc.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
After the introduction of the macgyver tv show in 1985, there was no cause to use these terms as descriptors unless you want to flaunt your racism.

;)
C'mon, its just a word. The only power it has is given by the people who are offended by it.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
That is racist.

It's politically incorrect, there's a difference. If you don't want others to use a word, stop identifying yourself with it. I had a black assistant for ~2 years, funny guy. He always referred to himself as my "******", though I never called him that, except when he'd say things like, "who's your ******? Who's your ******?" *sigh* "You're my ******." "You're damned right!" He went on to work at Drexel and moved away, and even though we still email each other, to this day I still miss "my ******".

I divorced myself from white man guilt a long time ago, and all the bullshit surrounding what can and can't be said. In life you learn to respect the person, not a race, and labels are meaningless when you choose to treat everyone the same.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
It's politically incorrect, there's a difference. If you don't want others to use a word, stop identifying yourself with it. I had a black assistant for ~2 years, funny guy. He always referred to himself as my "******", though I never called him that, except when he'd say things like, "who's your ******? Who's your ******?" *sigh* "You're my ******." "You're damned right!" He went on to work at Drexel and moved away, and even though we still email each other, to this day I still miss "my ******".

I divorced myself from white man guilt a long time ago, and all the bullshit surrounding what can and can't be said. In life you learn to respect the person, not a race, and labels are meaningless when you choose to treat everyone the same.
You said Ni**er? You racist scum bag!

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
he also used the term 'colored people' which is pretty offensive these days too

mostly it shows his age
Since it's very marginally on topic and kinda almost matches your screen tag, and since it always makes me laugh . . . http://www.collegehumor.com/video/5817723/zordon-is-a-racist

Yep...I even had a black ironworker work for me...said he was my "n*gger-rigger." :shrug:
Gotta love people able to rise above political correctness.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
God, what a fucking idiot.

No...he's actually right. Words themselves have no power...it's only the people offended by such words that give them power.

My ancestors lived in the US of A before there was a US of A...and were massacred by the hundreds of thousands so the white settlers could have their land.
I still refer to them as "blanket-asses," "teepee creepers, and a wide variety of other "not so nice names."
Fuck a bunch of "OMG! We might offend <insert name of group> by using a derogatory name for them!", people.

While we're at it...let's get rid of the "Hyphenated American" labels.
Instead of being "African American," "Mexican American," "Irish American," etc, let's just use "American of African ancestry," "American of Mexican ancestry," and so on.
IMO, you're either American or you're not.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
I still refer to them as "blanket-asses,"

The Cree around here (probably the Sioux too) refer to white guys as moony ass

edit-
I've never heard anyone say N rig anything, we always said Jerry-rigged it, same meaning

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I don't find his use of the word "colored" to be offensive....however, it gives me a pretty good indication of what period he grew up in.

Just like the guy who thought it was still cool to refer to Latino/Latinas as "wetbacks" cause thats how it was back in his day.
Agreed.

Tell that to people of gay. :p
LOL I have seen some people with tee shirts reading things like "I can't even think straight, let alone be straight".

And here I thought it was always a shortened version of niggardly-rigged! To niggar-rig as in shorting in the amount or quality used in construction. If I remember right I read it in an account of a Sailing Master's complaint to his Captain about " someone pocketing alot of silver to account for the niggardly rigging on a newly commisioned Navy ship."

Now jury-rigged, that has a root you should look up for laughs, Gerry/jerry-rigged I have seen a couple of times described as WWI&II anti German and heard others just as defamatory, mex-rigged, beloved patriot-rigged, Jew-rigged,etc.
"Niggardly rigging" in historic documents would have been a valid phrase, but it's pretty sure that this was not his usage. The other is a pretty common derogatory expression for lash-ups and field expedient solutions by blacks usually due to lack of resources to properly accomplish the job, and while there is a certain admirable quality about making do without sufficient resources I'm not believing anyone who uses the phrase does so in a laudatory fashion. I'm sure this fellow meant no harm and no racial slur, but its use doesn't exactly recommend him. There's political correctness, and then there's just plain human courtesy.

I'm not sure where you are going with "jury-rigged", but in medieval times a ship commonly carried a cut-down rig (mast and sail) called a jury rig which could be used to maintain way (and therefore steering) should the larger normal rigs be destroyed or fouled.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
No...he's actually right. Words themselves have no power...it's only the people offended by such words that give them power.

My ancestors lived in the US of A before there was a US of A...and were massacred by the hundreds of thousands so the white settlers could have their land.
I still refer to them as "blanket-asses," "teepee creepers, and a wide variety of other "not so nice names."
Fuck a bunch of "OMG! We might offend <insert name of group> by using a derogatory name for them!", people.

While we're at it...let's get rid of the "Hyphenated American" labels.
Instead of being "African American," "Mexican American," "Irish American," etc, let's just use "American of African ancestry," "American of Mexican ancestry," and so on.
IMO, you're either American or you're not.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
has Kansas' black person been reached for his reaction?
LMAO

With this behavior they'll be a long time getting their second black person.

WTF? Setting aside basic human courtesy, his points are entirely valid. We have little control over others' words, but we have ultimate control over their effect on us.

The only caveat I'd accept to that is that if slurs are widely spread and unchallenged, then due to subconscious coloring of thought (no pun intended) such things might have a material effect on us by prejudicing others' perceptions of us as lesser beings.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
s-JIM-GILE-KANSAS-large.jpg

This is a classic excuse....and how do you confuse N****r-rigged with jury-rigged?

He even went so far as to say "Afro-Americanized"...so he knew what he said and what he meant to say.

Source

Shrug, I heard that phrase a TON when I was growing up and often have to catch myself from saying it too. Sometimes shit happens and you slip up, I'd give him a pass personally.

Kinda funny how he tried to save himself, but just made it worse, when put on the spot though.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Better than than the Senate Majority Leader and then 3rd in line for the Presidency.

The third in line for the President is the President Pro Tempore of the Senate. Not the majority leader. The president pro Tempore was is the longest serving member of the majority party.

I can only assume you we're referring to Robert Byrd who was a KKK member in the 1940s but later denounced that group, regretted his choices, and eventually voted for the 68 civil rights act. I trump you with the Strom Thurmond who left the Democratic Party(alon with all the dixicrats except Byrd) and joined the republicans(who had open arms) because he opposed the civil rights movement and was a racist that never really reformed even though he had a black illegitimate child.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Shrug, I heard that phrase a TON when I was growing up and often have to catch myself from saying it too. Sometimes shit happens and you slip up, I'd give him a pass personally.

Kinda funny how he tried to save himself, but just made it worse, when put on the spot though.

I think the funniest part is that anyone who has grown up around the term, would know exactly what he meant and would agree with it, regardless of its un-PC nature. So this is...much ado about nothing.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Me too. Goes back to never saying it even when it's safe, then you're at the least much less likely to say it when it's not safe. If I insult someone, I want it to be intentionally.

The third in line for the President is the President Pro Tempore of the Senate. Not the majority leader. The president pro Tempore was is the longest serving member of the majority party.

I can only assume you we're referring to Robert Byrd who was a KKK member in the 1940s but later denounced that group, regretted his choices, and eventually voted for the 68 civil rights act. I trump you with the Strom Thurmond who left the Democratic Party(alon with all the dixicrats except Byrd) and joined the republicans(who had open arms) because he opposed the civil rights movement and was a racist that never really reformed even though he had a black illegitimate child.
Funny how proggies never mention how Byrd got caught writing letters about how America needed the Klan "more than ever" AFTER he supposedly renounced it, or continued using the "N" word in defamatory fashion his whole life. His selection for President Pro Tempore was and remains a blight on our nation. Funny too how proggies never mention that of the filibustering Democrats who left the party to start the Dixiecrats, Thurmond was the ONLY one who eventually became a Republican, as if all those who returned to the Democrat Party mean nothing compared to the ONE who became a Republican.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Agreed. I find it most amusing that "colored people" is now offensive but "people of color" is now politically correct.

What I find even more amusing is that we call black folk "colored or people of color" or whatever when in reality black is the absence of all color (well, actually light which the brain then interprets into color). Everyone but black folk should be called colored lol.

Maybe uncolored? absorbers of all visible light? reflectively challenged Americans?

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Me too. Goes back to never saying it even when it's safe, then you're at the least much less likely to say it when it's not safe. If I insult someone, I want it to be intentionally.

Funny how proggies never mention how Byrd got caught writing letters about how America needed the Klan "more than ever" AFTER he supposedly renounced it, or continued using the "N" word in defamatory fashion his whole life. His selection for President Pro Tempore was and remains a blight on our nation. Funny too how proggies never mention that of the filibustering Democrats who left the party to start the Dixiecrats, Thurmond was the ONLY one who eventually became a Republican, as if all those who returned to the Democrat Party mean nothing compared to the ONE who became a Republican.

It's funny how righties continue to deny the southern strategy and play down the worst racist, sorry "segregationist" in the Senate Strom Thurmond. Who likewise was selected at president pro Tempore.

Umm you are wrong about Thurmond being the only southern democrat to switch parties. There were many especially at the state and local level.

Thurmonds and his lack of zero remorse or repentance trumps Byrd any day of the week. So your are wrong there too.

Last edited:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I think the funniest part is that anyone who has grown up around the term, would know exactly what he meant and would agree with it, regardless of its un-PC nature. So this is...much ado about nothing.

Well, he did use it in about the worst possible context but I'm with you. He has already apologized, time to move on. I wonder how many calls for resignation he got from people that can actually vote for him?

Besides, it says right there in the article that he considers 50% of the states black population family.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Chalk it up in the "probably shouldn't have said it, but probably shouldn't have to resign over it" category