Remember that shutdown Trump WILL have?

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
All those workers get paid when the shutdown ends. They are not working for free but without a paycheck until the shutdown ends. How many of those calling in sick are really waiting tables or driving for Uber? They call in sick as a middle finger to the system.

I agree that the shutdown is not productive. But the mainstream media is saying that these government workers are going to food pantries to get food. Also known as food banks.

I think people think they are working for free. They are simply doing their jobs without a paycheck until the government shutdown ends. After the shutdown ends, they get back pay.

somewhere between 50-80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck.

i'm not sure if you are really that disconnected from reality or are just being an ass.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
All those workers get paid when the shutdown ends. They are not working for free but without a paycheck until the shutdown ends. How many of those calling in sick are really waiting tables or driving for Uber? They call in sick as a middle finger to the system.

I agree that the shutdown is not productive. But the mainstream media is saying that these government workers are going to food pantries to get food. Also known as food banks.

I think people think they are working for free. They are simply doing their jobs without a paycheck until the government shutdown ends. After the shutdown ends, they get back pay.

That must be true because you feel it's true.

Jan 25, 2011
Trump's proposal fails 51-47 with Manchin voting for it.

Now let's see if there's more support for Pelosi's. It won't hit 60 but will garner more votes most likely giving her yet more momentum.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Not sure what that's saying but the Trump proposal lost 51-47. The Dem proposal went down 52-44 somehow. Must have been more abstainers afraid to go on record.

They're all Republicans. Mitch is telling Trump that he can't (or won't) hold the line much longer...

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Seriously tone deaf response.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
I wonder if there is any route that Pelosi can offer Trump so he can back down on the wall and still save face without seeming (in his own eyes) to give in? If he could find a way to back off and still avoid feeling like a Loser, would he back down and take it?. If there is something, I believe Pelosi is enough of a grown-up to do it.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Listening to Trump now. When asked if he would accept a deal without a wall, there were the words "I wouldn't be happy with it" and "there are other alternatives". A lot of double talk after, but to me it sounds like he's going to end up caving. Well, unless someone calls him weak for backing down. Actually, as he rambles on he seems to revert. Dude is unpredictable. He seems to feel more than one incompatible way at once and instead of reconciling that difference acts like whichever way he is feeling at the time is the way he's always felt. Now he just said "I have other alternatives if I need them" and "we have to have the wall". So I'll update my prediction to him caving on the shutdown then declaring an emergency to build the wall anyway when Congress passes a bill to end the shutdown without wall funding. What scares me about that is that Congress is probably going to make concessions short of wall funding to try and appease Trump then end up paying for a wall too. But if it works that way his ass needs to be grass through impeachment post-haste.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Listening to Trump now. When asked if he would accept a deal without a wall, there were the words "I wouldn't be happy with it" and "there are other alternatives". A lot of double talk after, but to me it sounds like he's going to end up caving. Well, unless someone calls him weak for backing down. Actually, as he rambles on he seems to revert. Dude is unpredictable. He seems to feel more than one incompatible way at once and instead of reconciling that difference acts like whichever way he is feeling at the time is the way he's always felt. Now he just said "I have other alternatives if I need them" and "we have to have the wall". So I'll update my prediction to him caving on the shutdown then declaring an emergency to build the wall anyway when Congress passes a bill to end the shutdown without wall funding. What scares me about that is that Congress is probably going to make concessions short of wall funding to try and appease Trump then end up paying for a wall too. But if it works that way his ass needs to be grass through impeachment post-haste.

I thought the same thing listening to him lately. He 's leaving things "open to interpretation". But, his word salads often do this. It's possible Trump grasps that he is in a no-win situation. Abandon the shut down, lose the base. Stay the course with the shut down, lose everyone else plus a percentage of the base. Either way, his chances to win in 2020 look dim -- he may be aware of this.

Has a thorough cost assessment phase for the Wall project been carried out?

Something that will result in proper estimates, quantity surveying of materials, feasibility studies, environmental impact, resourcing plans, Gantt charts, timeliness, etc., etc., that would normally be done for such a huge undertaking

What would be the cost for such a phase? Would getting such a phase underway be sufficient to both please the base and the talking heads on TV he listens to and sometimes takes orders from in the short term and also eventually result in an excuse to not do it when the huge price tag to the taxpayers is finally understood?

Or..Appoint a commission to study the issue, accept bids, draw up plans, work out how to get the land etc. with the plan that construction will start somewhere around say July 2021 (assuming the new sitting president still wants it). He and his base can complain all they want

Mar 11, 2004
CT teams up with Webster Bank to offer interest free loans to the 1500 essential federal workers in the state:

https://www.wfsb.com/news/gov-lamon...cle_d8f6366e-1905-11e9-beed-a35a73a1fd80.html

That's a good way for the banks to win back some favor. On top of that if it bites them, they have a good case for sympathy from the government.

Looks like he will take the "Declare and Emergency" route. It will probably get tied up in court, but he will still be able to proclaim victory.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/24/politics/trump-border-wall-emergency-draft/index.html

Only with his idiots but he'll always be able to do that. Plus, if he gets slapped hard on this by the courts, it could offer some leverage for impeachment proceedings as this would be a power grab by the President, and when coupled with other actions, this looks more and more like intentional sabotage. Just wait though, Turmp and right wingers will say this was intentional (drain the swamp!), and then will try to argue it wasn't when questioned in a court.

And he's already owned the shutdown, and this is almost certainly going to have a longer term issues. Plus, how long will it even stave off another shutdown? Are we going to be right back here next year? Before then?

Reactions: Uhtrinity

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I’m sure the WH didn’t expect their bill to get less votes than the Dem bill. Lol at Jared being surprised more Dems didn’t vote with them.

Mitch has warned Trump that this is slipping out of his grip and was a mistake to begin with.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
I wonder what’s under the hood. Is the state guaranteeing them? Are there fees? Nothing is ever free. A bank isn’t going to loan money out from the goodness of its heart.
Maybe not, but it is great publicity for the bank. They might be hoping that doing so will prompt these federal workers to open accounts with them in the future.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Trump the Hostage Taker just got booted in the mushroom again.

I like how Pelosi voted for both. Trump's in it so that he personally looks like somewhat less of a liar, screw the price tag and easy counters to the wall. Pelosi actually gives a damn about American families while acknowledging that funds for effective border security are appropriate.

I wonder, what might republicans think about a future Democratic president Declaring an Emergency over guns after another brutal mass shooting? How about Declaring an Emergency over carbon emissions? I guess that whole filibuster thing has already been forgotten huh?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I wonder what’s under the hood. Is the state guaranteeing them? Are there fees? Nothing is ever free. A bank isn’t going to loan money out from the goodness of its heart.

Credit union here in VT is doing similar. Small loans, zero interest for fed employees who sign up as members.