Remember that shutdown Trump WILL have?

Page 53 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Oh shit gonna get real....might have to postpone the superbowl! OH NOES. Talk about important and impacting events in our lives.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
My manager just called me to tell me to report on Tuesday.

I am about as non-essential as a government employee can be. My entire job is internal to the government, and it will not make much difference if I do it Tuesday or next month.

So, at this point we are just calling back employees to work to make it look like the government is functioning, but we can't actually pay them. This is a new low for the federal government. I can understand that some jobs are critical for safety reasons, but really we recalled the 1-800-1040 toll line at the IRS? We recalled Fish and Wildlife people? You are harming Federal employees so as to not inconvenience people.

If the President and Congress can just ignore the consequences of a shutdown by making basically every federal worker report anyway, why would they ever care about a budget? This is just another way they have found to ignore their responsibilities and make everyone else suffer for their incompetence.

This is a terrible precedent that is going to even more dysfunction in our government. Setting these precedents seems to be a habit of this administration.

Man that sucks. My job used to be essential but we've contacted most of it so no longer.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
My list is nowhere near near exhaustive. Because of my role in the government I talk to people in many different departments and agencies and know a good number of them outside of work, and so far I have not talked to a single person in an agency that did not have at least some people working. As of this morning it seems that most federal workers have been recalled. I won't know more until I report on Tuesday, but it really looks like about 75% or more of federal workers are being recalled without pay.

I know.

I got recalled this week to part time work. I think all but one of our civil servants in my group have been moved to at least on-call or part-time.

Some of the work we do is definitely essential. Other work could be deferred.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Absolutely. At this point I would think long and hard before I accepted any job for the federal government while Trump is in office. I suspect this will not be the last shutdown of the next two years, especially if Trump gets his way. This will absolutely damage the federal government's ability to recruit quality people going forward.

I jokingly told my dad this week that instead of doing engineering for the government I should have gone into a career with better job security like teaching 18th century French literature.

Feb 4, 2009
Lol...Trump is speaking to farmers right now claiming he's making it easier to get immigrant labor to help the ag sector and these morons are applauding him.

Whole industry deserves to go out of business at this point from terminal gullibility.

I sort of agree, I felt bad for the small family farms in the 90s however many (not all) consistently make bad decisions regarding how to run their businesses, profitability of their business and the continually vote against their needs.
Getting real hard to feel bad for them.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Where are you getting that info? Can you provide a link because I seriously doubt that its anywhere near most.

This is not from the news, this is me talking to people yesterday and today. I've talked to about 15 people across 9 or so different agencies and every one of them has been recalled and everyone they have talked to has as well. I have not been able to find a single federal employee that has not been recalled.

Most of these people are CPA's, timekeepers, clerks, secretaries, and other functionaries that you would have a hard time justifying as 'essential' to any operation.

Jan 25, 2011
hehehe... Build the wall!

https://abcnews.go.com/beta-story-c...tunnels-border-wall-arizona/story?id=60462672

The largest single group of asylum seekers ever to cross into the U.S. tunneled beneath the border wall near San Luis, Arizona, on Monday, voluntarily turning themselves into Customs and Border Protection, according to the agency.

Migrants can be seen marching toward Border Patrol agents by the hundreds, according to video obtained by ABC News. Smugglers dug a series of seven holes, only a few feet long beneath the steel border fence, with hundreds going beneath the wall and a smaller number clambering over it, according to CBP.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Sneaking into San Luis? That's some serious desperation.

132965_1.jpg

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Isn't being forced to work for no pay under command and without consent of the worker.. slavery?

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
This is not from the news, this is me talking to people yesterday and today. I've talked to about 15 people across 9 or so different agencies and every one of them has been recalled and everyone they have talked to has as well. I have not been able to find a single federal employee that has not been recalled.

Most of these people are CPA's, timekeepers, clerks, secretaries, and other functionaries that you would have a hard time justifying as 'essential' to any operation.

<--- yes you can, I am one :p And its funny I don't know anyone in my office of about 50 that have come back to work. But I can see why you see that according to this article about 450K are working without pay out of 800k+ I admit that's more than I thought. But thats still 350K not working.

"As the longest-ever government shutdown reached Day 27 Thursday, the number of federal employees working without pay stood at 450,000 -- but that number could top half a million in the coming days, as the Trump administration continues to recall tens of thousands of workers after almost four weeks of shuttered doors at vital agencies."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/ten...called-back-work-government/story?id=60431671

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
TSA agents should stop showing up to work on account of financial difficulties. Just say they can't afford day care/gas to work and such. Bring air travel to a halt, McConnell will fold very quickly to save his senators up in 2020.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
TSA agents should stop showing up to work on account of financial difficulties. Just say they can't afford day care/gas to work and such. Bring air travel to a halt, McConnell will fold very quickly to save his senators up in 2020.

Anal probe each of those Republican fuckers if they go through airport.

Reactions: Zorba

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Nobody said they didn’t. There’s multiple problems that need to be addrssed. Oops

uh huh. just as things improve year after year, it suddenly becomes an emergency when it never was at times when it was worse. Just fuck off. No one believes the GOP or you brainless twats that blindly slurp up all this shit-piss talking points that have no basis in reality.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
This shutdown is a lesson for everyone. The lessons are...

1) You should have at least 6 months put away for an emergency. I like to go about a year, maybe even two. You don't make enough? Get a 2nd or 3rd job then, so you can quickly put emergency money away.

2) Don't rely on the government for your financial means. IMO, developing a side hustle is doable today. Lay off the Netflix and video games.

Just my humble opinion.

Jan 25, 2011

1) You should have at least 6 months put away for an emergency. I like to go about a year, maybe even two. You don't make enough? Get a 2nd or 3rd job then, so you can quickly put emergency money away.

2) Don't rely on the government for your financial means. IMO, developing a side hustle is doable today. Lay off the Netflix and video games.

Just my humble opinion.
Sure tell a single parent to just get a second or third job. While they are at it they could cut costs by putting the kids up for adoption.

Sorry that is unreasonable for just about anyone in a real world situation.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006

Just my humble opinion.

Been in the gov for 30+ years never had a problem until Trump.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Sure tell a single parent to just get a second or third job. While they are at it they could cut costs by putting the kids up for adoption.

Sorry that is unreasonable for just about anyone in a real world situation.

Moment,

Excuses are valid but they don't solve anything. So, you're telling me that no single parent in the history of mankind has ever taken on a second or third job? I didn't say that it was going to be easy, but it's dioable. You just have to be willing to do whatever it takes to support your family. Again, it's just my opinion. I'll get off my soapbox now.