Remember that shutdown Trump WILL have?

Page 51 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Tho imagine if Trump has dug out his approval floor to 30%. Polling indicates he’s hemmoraging independents because of the shutdown. That’s a dead presidency.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
If Chuck and Nancy meet at the WH the condition that must be met is McConnell is there, no excuses. "Too busy, conflicts" aren't good enough. If he's not there they walk.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
If Chuck and Nancy meet at the WH the condition that must be met is McConnell is there, no excuses. "Too busy, conflicts" aren't good enough. If he's not there they walk.

He’s basically irrelevant since he’s going to do whatever Trump wants. So far the only plan is to keep demanding the thing the Dems won’t agree without any actual negotiating in increasingly dramatic scenes. Trump is TERRIBLE at judging the opposition in this context. Maybe worst of any president in US history.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
He’s basically irrelevant since he’s going to do whatever Trump wants. So far the only plan is to keep demanding the thing the Dems won’t agree without any actual negotiating in increasingly dramatic scenes. Trump is TERRIBLE at judging the opposition in this context. Maybe worst of any president in US history.

I disagree and that's because of something illustrated by Vi.

Who is to blame? Trump, then Dems and at a far far dead last, Republicans at 5 %. I submit that having only the face of Nancy, Chuck and Trump without McConnell allows him to be out of sight and mind. That being the case he needs to be sitting with Trump and in the room even if he plays dead. Republicans need to be part of this very visible fight and Mitch is the personification of political obstruction.

Reactions: Thump553

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I disagree and that's because of something illustrated by Vi.

Who is to blame? Trump, then Dems and at a far far dead last, Republicans at 5 %. I submit that having only the face of Nancy, Chuck and Trump without McConnell allows him to be out of sight and mind. That being the case he needs to be sitting with Trump and in the room even if he plays dead. Republicans need to be part of this very visible fight and Mitch if the personification of political obstruction.

Since Trump very publicly took the responsibility I doubt Mitch is going to give anybody reason to reassign blame to him. He’ll hang back unless something extraordinary forces him to move, which the longer this goes on is a distinct possibility.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Since Trump very publicly took the responsibility I doubt Mitch is going to give anybody reason to reassign blame to him. He’ll hang back unless something extraordinary forces him to move, which the longer this goes on is a distinct possibility.

He'll hide in his shell, hence forcing him to come out. One vital thing I think we are not doing is making the GOP pay a penalty rather than allowing them to play hapless victims with the rest of us.

These guys laid a turd in the pool with Trump and they can't be allowed to remain invisible.

Reactions: Bitek

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

I think Trump double crossed McConnell when he balked at the spending resolution. It was all agreed upon until Trump reversed course to keep Coulter, Limbaugh & the rabid talking heads of the right wing happy. So McConnell said "You're on your own, Mr President. Don't talk to me- talk to the Democrats." Now he'll sit back & watch Trump burn himself down to the ground. His people, the rich people, will be just fine & the rest of us can go take a flying fuck at a rolling donut.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Meanwhile, Rasmussen's latest poll has Trump's approval down to 43 percent. You know, Rasmussen... the poll that historically skews conservative and is usually the only one Trump fans like to cite (because it's the one that tells them what they want to hear)? Yeah, that poll.

The shutdown appears to be a significant drag on Trump's approval ratings, and I don't see them getting better the longer he keeps his head buried in the sand.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Meanwhile, Rasmussen's latest poll has Trump's approval down to 43 percent. You know, Rasmussen... the poll that historically skews conservative and is usually the only one Trump fans like to cite (because it's the one that tells them what they want to hear)? Yeah, that poll.

The shutdown appears to be a significant drag on Trump's approval ratings, and I don't see them getting better the longer he keeps his head buried in the sand.

Yeah his "general" approval is at 36% which is tied for his historical lows. Bigly numbers.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Yeah there was a poll this morning that just flat out shocked me.

50% Blame Trump
30% Blame Democrats
5% blame Republicans

If the senate wanted, they'd put on their big boy pants take their previously agreed on deal and put it to a veto proof margin vote and give a finger to Trump. Your move Mitch.

I'm thinking the responses to this poll aren't what they seem... I'm guessing it was a "select one option" poll, in which case most who selected Trump would have also selected Republicans if they could have. I'd look at it more like 55% Trump/Republicans and 30% Democrats.

Dec 10, 2005
I'm thinking the responses to this poll aren't what they seem... I'm guessing it was a "select one option" poll, in which case most who selected Trump would have also selected Republicans if they could have. I'd look at it more like 55% Trump/Republicans and 30% Democrats.
Yeah, there is no way that Republicans can avoid the shit smearing that is arising from this Trumpertantrum.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
All of this can be over as soon as McConnell can drum up enough votes in the Senate.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Turtle doesn’t want to be primaried and is deathly allergic to anything that’s could be good for the country but bad for his power. Always looking out for number one.

He's got six years to worry about that-an eternity given the average person's attention span now.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
I think Trump double crossed McConnell when he balked at the spending resolution. It was all agreed upon until Trump reversed course to keep Coulter, Limbaugh & the rabid talking heads of the right wing happy. So McConnell said "You're on your own, Mr President. Don't talk to me- talk to the Democrats." Now he'll sit back & watch Trump burn himself down to the ground. His people, the rich people, will be just fine & the rest of us can go take a flying fuck at a rolling donut.

he'll hold a vote on lifting sanctions on russia but not reopening the government. it's not a good look for cocaine mitch.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I think that for every dollar lost to the federal government as a result of the shutdown we should penalize Kentucky at a 1:1 ratio.

One dollar lost = one less dollar of federal aid/funding going to the state of Kentucky.

I am SO SICK of our country being run by Mitch McConnell.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Tho imagine if Trump has dug out his approval floor to 30%. Polling indicates he’s hemmoraging independents because of the shutdown. That’s a dead presidency.

trump doesnt want to be president. Its ruined his life.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
All of this can be over as soon as McConnell can drum up enough votes in the Senate.

The bill that the Dems sent him is virtually identical to the one the Senate passed last year by 100-0. Trump could still veto if the necessary 2/3 majority in the HOR can't be obtained.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
It's possible McConnell has convinced himself that everything bad about Trump is just flim-flam created by the media and the Democrats. He doesn't realize that Trump will just keep the government turned off for as long as he can get away with and that there is no "deal". The shutdown gives Trump allies what they want: Less government. Steve "lets burn it down" Bannon must be grinning from ear to ear. If Dems are smart, they'll negotiate with the real decision makers: Trump's ministers of bullshit Limbaugh, Coulter and Hannity.

I was explaining to my Trumpist aunt that taxes pay for services that are necessary for the economy and that the government helps to drive GDP growth. she was surprised because she had never considered that. She had always just viewed it as that the government took the tax money and used it to snort cocaine or something.

I think there are a lot of people like that, who basically view the government as a black hole - but mainly because that's the popular cultural image, not because they have actually put any thought into it. Regrettably, no good comes of demonstrating how wrong that is. And there are some things where the damage will be hard to correct. The government employs a lot of people. Dumping a million or so people into unemployment is not going to have good results on the economy.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I still think McConnell is insulated enough that he isn't getting the heat he deserves on this. I really think he's trying to play both sides and drive down the rating of both Trump and the democrats. Then he'll play kingmaker to run someone as primary vs Trump.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
He's got six years to worry about that-an eternity given the average person's attention span now.

McConnell is up for re-election in 2020 & Kentucky Repubs love them some Donald. Oh yes they do. Out in the countryside, they're proud to be ignorant.