Remember that shutdown Trump WILL have?

Page 52 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Agencies that are recalling employees:
IRS - to process taxes, man the 1-800 helpline, and process salary verification for the mortgage industry.
FAA - recalling additional support staff other than the air traffic controllers that have been working this whole time.
FDA - recalling food inspectors and associated staff.
National Park Service - Recalling park rangers so they don't have to close the national parks.
US Fish and Wildlife Service - recalling employees so that hunting and fishing season is not disrupted.
Bureau of Land Management - Recalling employees to conduct public comment sessions so that pipeline planning can continue.

All these people have been deemed 'essential' in what feels to me like a major stretch of the term. Is making sure that hunting and fishing season is not disrupted really worth forcing people to work without pay?

It seems that a lot more of our government is 'essential' than the GOP likes to admit.

Reactions: Zorba

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Hunting and fishing can get fucked. Who do you think primarily voted for Trump?

Same for pipeline shit and drilling rights people. Shut that shit down. No mortgages either. Make the retards feel the pain of their "small government" philosophy.

You have it right, Trump is sacrificing government employees to hide the damage he is doing to the nation with his shutdown and prevent it from inconveniencing his supporters.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Agencies that are recalling employees:
IRS - to process taxes, man the 1-800 helpline, and process salary verification for the mortgage industry.
FAA - recalling additional support staff other than the air traffic controllers that have been working this whole time.
FDA - recalling food inspectors and associated staff.
National Park Service - Recalling park rangers so they don't have to close the national parks.
US Fish and Wildlife Service - recalling employees so that hunting and fishing season is not disrupted.
Bureau of Land Management - Recalling employees to conduct public comment sessions so that pipeline planning can continue.

All these people have been deemed 'essential' in what feels to me like a major stretch of the term. Is making sure that hunting and fishing season is not disrupted really worth forcing people to work without pay?

It seems that a lot more of our government is 'essential' than the GOP likes to admit.

One more.
NASA has folks working ISS real-time support and a few more of us working contractor / provider oversight as development for upcoming manned space vehicles is still continuing while their funding holds.

(Basically making sure the contractors/providers are making good engineering and ops decisions that appropriately balance the risk to crew vs schedule and budget.)

Reactions: Bitek

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
One problem with the individual agencies is you are technically now allowed to use goventy email while furloughed.

So how are they informed to come back to work?

Caesar

Golden Member
Nov 5, 1999
One problem with the individual agencies is you are technically now allowed to use goventy email while furloughed.

Guidelines I read said that they can't use the email, but can frequently check to monitor updates on their status.

Reactions: Thebobo

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Heard on NPR that 31% of of unpaid/furloughed government staff are vets. One guy had just come back from fighting in Syria and was on the job for two weeks before getting furloughed. He did not sound happy on the radio. Maybe it will finally sink in to the average voter that Trump and the republicans could not give less of a shit about veterans even though they pretend to.

Maybe it will also sink in that they don't actually give a shit about anyone in the country.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Nobody said they didn’t. There’s multiple problems that need to be addrssed. Oops

Good thing strong man Trump, the master negotiator, is leading us to success. But, one wonders how in two years of complete government control, republicans didn't make the wall happen. Oops.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Remember in 2013 when Republicans kept saying the shut down was purely a lack of leadership on Obama's part? How if a president was a good leader he would never have a shutdown? Even though they changed their demands every time Obama tried to meet them. It's funny how you don't hear them saying that any more.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Good thing strong man Trump, the master negotiator, is leading us to success. But, one wonders how in two years of complete government control, republicans didn't make the wall happen. Oops.

No shite it’s definitely on the failure of Republicans. They had plenty of time to do whatever they wanted but didn’t. You won’t hear me say otherwise. Again oops

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
No shite it’s definitely on the failure of Republicans. They had plenty of time to do whatever they wanted but didn’t. You won’t hear me say otherwise. Again oops

It must suck to vote for such a great deal maker. Oops. Guess talk is cheap.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

My manager just called me to tell me to report on Tuesday.

I am about as non-essential as a government employee can be. My entire job is internal to the government, and it will not make much difference if I do it Tuesday or next month.

So, at this point we are just calling back employees to work to make it look like the government is functioning, but we can't actually pay them. This is a new low for the federal government. I can understand that some jobs are critical for safety reasons, but really we recalled the 1-800-1040 toll line at the IRS? We recalled Fish and Wildlife people? You are harming Federal employees so as to not inconvenience people.

If the President and Congress can just ignore the consequences of a shutdown by making basically every federal worker report anyway, why would they ever care about a budget? This is just another way they have found to ignore their responsibilities and make everyone else suffer for their incompetence.

This is a terrible precedent that is going to even more dysfunction in our government. Setting these precedents seems to be a habit of this administration.

Reactions: Zorba

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

I am about as non-essential as a government employee can be. My entire job is internal to the government, and it will not make much difference if I do it Tuesday or next month.

So, at this point we are just calling back employees to work to make it look like the government is functioning, but we can't actually pay them. This is a new low for the federal government. I can understand that some jobs are critical for safety reasons, but really we recalled the 1-800-1040 toll line at the IRS? We recalled Fish and Wildlife people? You are harming Federal employees so as to not inconvenience people.

If the President and Congress can just ignore the consequences of a shutdown by making basically every federal worker report anyway, why would they ever care about a budget? This is just another way they have found to ignore their responsibilities and make everyone else suffer for their incompetence.

This is a terrible precedent that is going to even more dysfunction in our government. Setting these precedents seems to be a habit of this administration.

Sounds like a bad deal for Trump? He gets backlash from the wall, he gets backlash for the shutdown, now he gets backlash for forcing ppl to work for nothing... and all this is still a good idea in his mind.
Yea.
Check please?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
One more.
NASA has folks working ISS real-time support and a few more of us working contractor / provider oversight as development for upcoming manned space vehicles is still continuing while their funding holds.

(Basically making sure the contractors/providers are making good engineering and ops decisions that appropriately balance the risk to crew vs schedule and budget.)

My list is nowhere near near exhaustive. Because of my role in the government I talk to people in many different departments and agencies and know a good number of them outside of work, and so far I have not talked to a single person in an agency that did not have at least some people working. As of this morning it seems that most federal workers have been recalled. I won't know more until I report on Tuesday, but it really looks like about 75% or more of federal workers are being recalled without pay.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

See, republicans swore the government was bloated, inefficient, and corrupt. Guess they were right.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Absolutely. At this point I would think long and hard before I accepted any job for the federal government while Trump is in office. I suspect this will not be the last shutdown of the next two years, especially if Trump gets his way. This will absolutely damage the federal government's ability to recruit quality people going forward.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Absolutely. At this point I would think long and hard before I accepted any job for the federal government while ***Trump*** is in office. I suspect this will not be the last shutdown of the next two years, especially if Trump gets his way. This will absolutely damage the federal government's ability to ***recruit quality people*** going forward.
Does not compute....
:D

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
At what point do government worker seek other employment en masse? I'm employed in the private sector but looking myself, and it's a great job market for certain jobs at least. Recruiters are quite desperate, if I change something on my indeed resume I get a bunch of calls all about the same job :D I'm thinking of holding cage matches--you shall battle for my services and for my entertainment!