Remember that shutdown Trump WILL have?

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I used to work with a guy that had Rush's "show" on his radio everyday back in the late 80's, he'd get pissed every time I laughed out loud at the shit Rush would say. He was a total ditto-head.
It amazes me how his listeners don't realize he is insulting then to their face with the ditto-head stuff. Not only don't they not realize they are being insulted, they are proud of it.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
It's starting to feel like this for our man-boy leader.

Took his presidency and went All-In on the Trump Wall Shutdown.

t5wjgh2l6es01.gif

Last edited:

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
^ Far too many people around him. Poor Trump is all alone in the White House besides the guys with machine guns, the best machine guns he's ever seen. Alas, the machine gunners do not wave to him.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
^ Far too many people around him. Poor Trump is all alone in the White House besides the guys with machine guns, the best machine guns he's ever seen. Alas, the machine gunners do not wave to him.

I really thought the bill passed in February funded the office of the President for the year. Why is he all alone?

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
I really thought the bill passed in February funded the office of the President for the year. Why is he all alone?

It was mostly a joke about his pathetic (poor me), yes he actually said that, Christmas tweets about being all alone in the White House.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
It was mostly a joke about his pathetic (poor me), yes he actually said that, Christmas tweets about being all alone in the White House.

Oh, I know the whole thing is silly. There has to be 100+ people just in the west wing. Even if they are not funded almost everyone on the Presidential staff is an excepted employee.

Triloby

Mar 18, 2016
The Clemson Tigers were served McDonalds at the White House for winning their national championship. It's almost surreal to see something like this happening at the White House of all places...
Dw6CYyKWwAkcv9T.jpg

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The Clemson Tigers were served McDonalds at the White House for winning their national championship. It's almost surreal to see something like this happening at the White House of all places...
Dw6CYyKWwAkcv9T.jpg

To quote someone I know:
there's a time traveler in a cornfield somewhere looking at that footage and realizing he made a horrible mistake.
Because this is the timeline we're in. Where real life mimics parody. For example:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Reportedly the stable genius plan is now to invite select house Dems to the WH and charm them into bucking their leadership.

LOL.

All House Dems invited to the WH for lunch turned him down. Trump is having lunch with only GOP members today. So much for this gambit.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Dw6CYyKWwAkcv9T.jpg
L.O.L.
That is amazing...no need for any of the sports teams (all those invited that didn't want to come anyway but then uninvited so ha!) to head to the WH anymore...just head to the closest McDs.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
It's starting to feel like this for our man-boy leader.

Took his presidency and went All-In on the Trump Wall Shutdown.

t5wjgh2l6es01.gif

except trump never had a 93% chance of winning this thing.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
except trump never had a 93% chance of winning this thing.

93% chance of losing more like.
I wonder what he put his chances at?

We all saw it was destined for failure, but what was he realistically expecting to get out if it?

This guy is the nation's ultimate negotiator, diplomat and decision maker, as well as chief of the military.

Doesn't make me sleep better knowing he has very questionable capabilities for strategic thought.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
IRS is recalling much of it's furloughed workforce to process refunds without pay.

This is not a sustainable approach. It may not even be strictly legal.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
IRS is recalling much of it's furloughed workforce to process refunds without pay.

This is not a sustainable approach. It may not even be strictly legal.

Given Trump's history of not paying his workers, this was 1000% predictable.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Here's a lovely screed denigrating govt workers, supposedly from a senior White House functionary-

https://dailycaller.com/2019/01/14/smoke-out-resistance/

I think it might have been the guy who recently appeared on TV sporting spray hair...

This guy just might be crazy. The first people the Government service will lose is the productive ones, they are the ones that can get good jobs in private industry. If this goes on long enough the only people left in government service will be those too incompetent to do anything else.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Have to wonder if McConnell has his thumb up in the political winds here and see's this as a double win. Dems take a pounding. Trump is getting hit even worse. I wonder if he's using this as a way to drive down Trump's approval so low that it opens the door to a reasonable primary against him in 2020.

Dec 10, 2005
Have to wonder if McConnell has his thumb up in the political winds here and see's this as a double win. Dems take a pounding. Trump is getting hit even worse. I wonder if he's using this as a way to drive down Trump's approval so low that it opens the door to a reasonable primary against him in 2020.
Perhaps he's reading the political winds, but what he's doing is bad for the institution of Congress. He's basically allowing the legislature to be subservient to the executive. Do we really want even more power centered in the executive branch?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Perhaps he's reading the political winds, but what he's doing is bad for the institution of Congress. He's basically allowing the legislature to be subservient to the executive. Do we really want even more power centered in the executive branch?

When has McConnell given a shit about governing? Nearly everything he has done in the last 10 years has been bad for the institution of Congress. His entire goal is protect the GOP, fuck the country.

Reactions: Zorba

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
McConnell is getting an amazing pass in the media and by the pundits. It seems like 90% of the time they talk about stalemate, both sides dug in, etc. Only in passing do they mention the only real solution to this-McConnell allows the House bills to come up to a vote in the Senate. His position is Trump will veto them so why bring to a vote.

And right now he and other top GOP Senate leaders are drumming up support for Trump's relaxation of sanctions-something that passed the Senate in a big show in the fall of 2017 to show the Senate was independent of Trump.

Just once I wish this guy would put country ahead of party.

The only way to get this moved off square one is a whole lot of public spotlight and pressure put on McConnell-and Trump ignored (that will piss Trump off more than losing).

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Turtle doesn’t want to be primaried and is deathly allergic to anything that’s could be good for the country but bad for his power. Always looking out for number one.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Yeah there was a poll this morning that just flat out shocked me.

50% Blame Trump
30% Blame Democrats
5% blame Republicans

If the senate wanted, they'd put on their big boy pants take their previously agreed on deal and put it to a veto proof margin vote and give a finger to Trump. Your move Mitch.