Remember that shutdown Trump WILL have?

Page 49 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Sane rational people understand that you don't reward a toddler for having a tantrum. They know Trump claimed responsibility for the shutdown. Many of his voters in red states are the biggest federal aid consumers. Trump. He's a raging narcissist, and saving face is his utmost priority. But he's a dumbshit as a dealmaker and he's left himself no face-saving exit (though I guess burning the boats is a kind of strategy). I can't imagine an exit strategy that leaves his fragile manbaby ego intact.

Actually I can imagine it - he just lies to his base and says he won, just like he said his unratified USMCA deal would make Mexico pay for the wall. It's not like Rush Limbaugh is suddenly going to become a fact-checker. His fans eat up this bullshit like it's gummy bears. I'm baffled why Trump hasn't already done this.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Congressional Republicans had been trying to put together a deal that gave the Democrats something but Trump shot it down several times because he thought the Supreme Court was going to hand him a win (they have yet to grant cert to the case).

What a dumbass.

So, who rescinded protections for Dreamers & people granted asylum long ago?

Trump.

Fuck you, Donnie. I hope the CBP, the TSA & the Coast Guard all stage a one day walkout.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017

Trump.

Fuck you, Donnie. I hope the CBP, the TSA & the Coast Guard all stage a one day walkout.
He has five crazy tweets off this morning. This FBI story really seems to have triggered him.

Reactions: Chocu1a

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

Congressional Republicans had been trying to put together a deal that gave the Democrats something but Trump shot it down several times because he thought the Supreme Court was going to hand him a win (they have yet to grant cert to the case).

What a dumbass.

Trump.

The Trump logic here is amazing.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

"Those drug toting rapists steeling our Jobs (Mexicans) are going to totally Love me because Poopy Pelosi and the Angry Dems won't give in to my hostage Demands. My Baby cages are beautiful and Amazing! NO COLLUSION!"

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
..I do have a plan on the Shutdown. But to understand that plan you would have to understand the fact that I won the election, and I promised safety and security for the American people. Part of that promise was a Wall at the Southern Border. Elections have consequences!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 12, 2019

Having shit for brains has consequences, too..

Yes, Donnie, they do. Not all are positive, however.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Don't expect Trump to pay attention to polls on this issue. He's pleasing his fan base, which are the only people who care and who HE cares about. If federal workers quit, well, his base won't care. Remember, these are the people who campaign on making government smaller - not necessarily smaller through financial attribution, but they'll take what they can get. This could go on until there's a noticeable economic impact.

It seems, today's Republicans don't want small government. They want fantasy small government. They want an end to all of the money that goes to other people, but a continuation and expansion of what goes to themselves. A government shutdown forces them to see just how much they're sponging off the government.

I think the Venn Diagram of Trump Supporters and "Chronic Lyme's" sufferers is a single circle.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Break up media monopolies, bring back the fairness doctrine, bring back station ownership laws, and make illegal to spew bullshit while calling yourself news.

News stations? You must be... older. People's own peers deliver the feel good news now.
Social media abounds in unchecked stupidity.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
News stations? You must be... older. People's own peers deliver the feel good news now.
Social media abounds in unchecked stupidity.
That is completely true, but it is still Fox and Rush that start the brain softening. It is also old people that post all that crap in FB.

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
He has five crazy tweets off this morning. This FBI story really seems to have triggered him.

Perhaps that the real reason for Mitch keeping the shutdown. Once the government is open then the major impediment into Congressional investigations is removed. Right now a good number of people are in no mood for a coverup and if the Dems plan on keeping their hold they won't hide or shy away from Putin influence on GOP congressional members. No repeat of burying this as done with Iraq, please.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Reports of growing security problems at airports. Checkpoint closures at IAH and enormous lines at ATL.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Trump officially nixed Grahams suggestion of a short term reopening. He's going from shovel to backhoe for the hole he's trying to dig himself into.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Trump officially nixed Grahams suggestion of a short term reopening. He's going from shovel to backhoe for the hole he's trying to dig himself into.

Reportedly the stable genius plan is now to invite select house Dems to the WH and charm them into bucking their leadership.

LOL.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Getting close to the point where Dems should start issuing a menu of demands in exchange for his wall money.

Citizenship for DACA eligibles: $2B in wall money

Green cards for TPS recipients: $500M

Implementation of a revised guest worker program with higher caps for Mexico/Central America $1B

etc...

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
The GOP will cave to Rush every last time. He's enormously powerful among the base.
I used to work with a guy that had Rush's "show" on his radio everyday back in the late 80's, he'd get pissed every time I laughed out loud at the shit Rush would say. He was a total ditto-head.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I used to work with a guy that had Rush's "show" on his radio everyday back in the late 80's, he'd get pissed every time I laughed out loud at the shit Rush would say. He was a total ditto-head.
I worked with a guy like that in the late 90s right up until just after 9/11. Really nice Christian guy would do anything for anyone, but man, did he hate liberals, lol.

Reactions: nickqt

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Lol...Trump is speaking to farmers right now claiming he's making it easier to get immigrant labor to help the ag sector and these morons are applauding him.

Whole industry deserves to go out of business at this point from terminal gullibility.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Rush has been one of the most divisive voices in American politics for 30 years. The modern GOP pitch is modeled entirely to his efforts. It's all in the derisive attitude & dishonest characterization of Libruhls.

Reactions: DarthKyrie