Remember that shutdown Trump WILL have?

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Related but off topic. I heard some Republican Representative on the radio saying: it’s up to the Democrats, nobody wants to see DACA end everyone wants strong boarders. Let’s pass a spending resolution then talk about DACA when everyone is back to work.

Sounds a lot like it’s too soon to talk about guns let’s do it later when the time is right

Later never comes...

Whatever that guy can eat dirt. DACA amnesty is certainly wanted by he majority of Americans and is a completely fair bargain for a border wall. That is a great compromise. If the gov stays shut down long enough it will happen.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
No.

It's what a teeny teeny tiny fucking minority of America wants.

Stop lying. And fuck all those fascist assholes that think we need a fucking useless wall. Let them all go to the border and link arms as a human wall. ...it will probably stretch a mile, but they would be providing the first useful service to humanity they have served at that point. Such fascist assholes are beyond redemption.

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2590

American voters oppose building a wall on the Mexican border 54 - 43 percent and say 54 - 44 percent the wall is not necessary to improve border security, according to a Quinnipiac University National Poll released today.

43%. Teeny teeny tiny. I better stop lying.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I dunno, ask for something. Don’t touch Obamacare for instance. Or grant dreamers amnesty (I think that was proposed already, push again, this time with a shutdown government). Can’t get anything if you don’t ask. And the GOP needs to be willing to bend and give. That’s the way compromise works and the way our government should work if it was run by adults.

The GOP doesn't want Trump's stinking wall any more than the Dems. It's apparently too much to ask that they just nut up & say so, huh?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Of course they don’t. None in power want any sort of real border security. They want the issue to be alive so the have somehing to campaign on, but there’s too many 1%ers profiting from illegals to want to clamp down. So we never will.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2590

American voters oppose building a wall on the Mexican border 54 - 43 percent and say 54 - 44 percent the wall is not necessary to improve border security, according to a Quinnipiac University National Poll released today.

43%. Teeny teeny tiny. I better stop lying.

You don't even read your own links-

By a wider 62 - 34 percent, American voters oppose shutting down the government because of funding differences over the wall. Republicans support shutting down the government over the wall 59 - 33 percent, the only listed party, gender, education, age or racial group supporting a shutdown

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
You don't even read your own links-

Ok. He responded to a post I made that a large segment wants the wall saying it was teeny weeny. I responded to him with a post showing the numbers, 43% want a wall. Not so teeny weeny. Whether they think the govenmnent should be shut down over it is a different story all together. Even then a third of voters isn’t teeny weeny. Keep up

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Of course they don’t. None in power want any sort of real border security. They want the issue to be alive so the have somehing to campaign on, but there’s too many 1%ers profiting from illegals to want to clamp down. So we never will.

Yeh, give it the ol' bothsides treatment, huh? Border security is vastly improved from 10 years ago. Building the Wall won't really make it any better at all.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Ok. He responded to a post I made that a large segment wants the wall saying it was teeny weeny. I responded to him with a post showing the numbers, 43% want a wall. Not so teeny weeny. Whether they think the govenmnent should be shut down over it is a different story all together. Even then a third of voters isn’t teeny weeny. Keep up

I have. It's perfectly clear that support for the Holy Wall doesn't justify shutting down the govt to have it, other than in the delusional reaches of Trumplandia.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
I have. It's perfectly clear that support for the Holy Wall doesn't justify shutting down the govt to have it, other than in the delusional reaches of Trumplandia.

I agree. I wonder what the percent would be if the pollster asked "is opposing the wall worth shutting down the government"?

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
You could borrow the wall from Ringworld (1000 miles high), electrify it and cover it with 50 cal machine gun emplacements and it still wouldn't fix the "problem" (let's assume illegals are actually one worth all this fuss for a second).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...lly-federal-data-show/?utm_term=.14d1f64fde76

By far, most illegals enter the country legally, and don't cross the border where a wall would go.

This whole thing is a sham to get votes. Anyone wanting the wall is either an ignorant moron, or someone that knows better playing team ball.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You could borrow the wall from Ringworld (1000 miles high), electrify it and cover it with 50 cal machine gun emplacements and it still wouldn't fix the "problem" (let's assume illegals are actually one worth all this fuss for a second).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...lly-federal-data-show/?utm_term=.14d1f64fde76

By far, most illegals enter the country legally, and don't cross the border where a wall would go.

This whole thing is a sham to get votes. Anyone wanting the wall is either an ignorant moron, or someone that knows better playing team ball.

Facts don't matter in post-truth Trumplandia.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Not sure why facts even matter at this point. A sizable part of the country wants a wall. They’re wrong about it solving their problems but they want it, and in the scheme of things for governmental size the cost ain’t gonna break us either. Hell, think of it as shovel ready stimulus. So now the question why is the left willing to dig their heels and shut down the government over it?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

I've got the formula for Scrinth down but I need to tap into the vacuum and draw sufficient energy to make it. Fusion was not good enough so that got tossed on a shelf somewhere, antimatter was unstable during manufacture. Probably be another six months before I have a lunar mass of energy per second ready to go...

Hey, if I'm gonna Sci-fi, I'm going large.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Not sure why facts even matter at this point. A sizable part of the country wants a wall. They’re wrong about it solving their problems but they want it, and in the scheme of things for governmental size the cost ain’t gonna break us either. Hell, think of it as shovel ready stimulus. So now the question why is the left willing to dig their heels and shut down the government over it?

As I said what enabling a chronic blackmailer worth? If the Dems cave on the wall in a way Trump likes then he's just won the country and it now belongs to him. How? If it works once, it will work again and again...

I'm not sure how closely the House Dems are permitted to work with the SDNY and Mueller, but our best bet is taking all the crimes we find and criminally indict and prosecute Trump ASAP. The Reps will then dump Trump like the deadly viper he is.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
As I said what enabling a chronic blackmailer worth? If the Dems cave on the wall in a way Trump likes then he's just won the country and it now belongs to him. How? If it works once, it will work again and again...

I'm not sure how closely the House Dems are permitted to work with the SDNY and Mueller, but our best bet is taking all the crimes we find and criminally indict and prosecute Trump ASAP. The Reps will then dump Trump like the deadly viper he is.

Don’t cave, compromise. Ask for something and get it.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Don’t cave, compromise. Ask for something and get it.

Actually, we did that and it was shot down. Trump is all or nothing. There is no "Art of the Deal", it's the force of unbridled power corrupting the owner of the One Ring.

What could Bilbo have offered in trade for "the Precious"?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

All the reasons have been patiently explained to you ad infinitum.

Dems aren't shutting down the govt. Trump is. He owns this, and GOP congress critters are letting him do it.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Actually, we did that and it was shot down. Trump is all or nothing. There is no "Art of the Deal", it's the force of unbridled power corrupting the owner of the One Ring.

What could Bilbo have offered in trade for "the Precious"?

You didn’t do that with a shutdown looming though.