Remember that shutdown Trump WILL have?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Should the compromise you speak of be a one way street? How have the right compromised on anything?

No of course not. The right are guilty of not compromising either. Stuck in trench warfare where nobody is giving an inch and the country is suffering for it. Compromise is a good thing. It hasnt been for the past two decades but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be sought.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
They might just be trying to divert attention from something else?

Yeah Melanie went to Mar-a-Lago, then she flies back.. and I'm pretty sure she'll fly back to Mar-a-Lago (so how much does this cost again)

If someone was sensible, they'd stick around..

I don't normally attack FLOTUS's but this one's just a stoopey bish.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
No of course not. The right are guilty of not compromising either. Stuck in trench warfare where nobody is giving an inch and the country is suffering for it. Compromise is a good thing. It hasnt been for the past two decades but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be sought.

Quick.. toss a chemical grenade so we can advance 2 feet.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
And right back around to "they're just as bad!" when that hasn't been true at all. Why can't McConnell & the GOP HOR compromise with Dems to override the veto of the spending measure they sent to Trump in the first place? They don't want no steenking Wall, either.

They'd rather appease the toddler in chief because bad things. Bad things might happen if they pretended to have spines. Donald has some sort of voodoo spell over them.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
That speaks five languages

European languages are related. It's really no big deal.

Most dutch speak 4 without problem.

Many Indians speak like 6 since they're related/ neighboring languages where you grew up..

Hell my spouse can speak 4.. I'm teaching her proper English which is a 5th.

Now if she has a degree in physics or mechanical engineering or speaks Basque.. that'd impress me.

Reactions: soundforbjt

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
And right back around to "they're just as bad!" when that hasn't been true at all. Why can't McConnell & the GOP HOR compromise with Dems to override the veto of the spending measure they sent to Trump in the first place? They don't want no steenking Wall, either.

They'd rather appease the toddler in chief because bad things. Bad things might happen if they pretended to have spines. Donald has some sort of voodoo spell over them.

It’s definitly true. Neither side will compromise. In this day and age it’s a four letter word. Why won’t McConnel? Because of ideology and the poison Newt introduced. You despise both sides I think because it’s true. The parties are polar opposites and yet remarkably similar as well.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

You're welcome to visit India/ Europe and see for yourself.

Hell most filipinos speak 4-5 languages come to think of it.

And the madam flotus is a hooker. I've seen plenty of hookers with books in their hands learning languages of customers hoping to find Captain Save a Ho and reel in the big fish.

cfenton

Jul 27, 2015
I’m not sure you understand the concept of a compromise then.

A compromise involves both parties getting something out of the deal. It's not at all clear to me what the Democrats get if they agree to fund the wall. Trump's position (backed by Ryan) seems to be build the wall or else. If he's so eager to get it built he should be offering something the Democrats want in exchange. He's the one who needs support to pass an unpopular piece of legislation.

Reactions: greatnoob

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
A compromise involves both parties getting something out of the deal. It's not at all clear to me what the Democrats get if they agree to fund the wall. Trump's position (backed by Ryan) seems to be build the wall or else. If he's so eager to get it built he should be offering something the Democrats want in exchange. He's the one who needs support to pass an unpopular piece of legislation.

There is nothing that they can get out of this because Trump is a zero sum guy. Everyone else has to lose for him to win. To him multiple winners is sacriledge.

To a reasonable person.. medicare for all, minimum wage increase to a living wage and voting rights act would be worth trading for a stupid wall.

But we all know the GOP will never agree to that.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Ugly is just being his disingenuous self. He knows that the Dems offered a compromise on wall funding that Trump claimed to support before he torpedoed it. Trump needs this shutdown to keep his base frothing.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It’s definitly true. Neither side will compromise. In this day and age it’s a four letter word. Why won’t McConnel? Because of ideology and the poison Newt introduced. You despise both sides I think because it’s true. The parties are polar opposites and yet remarkably similar as well.

And more straw. I don't despise both sides. I am a true blue Democrat of the New Deal variety. We've compromised with increasingly demanding conservatives since Reagan. You know, that whole trickle down job creator ideology that's beat the shit out of the middle class. And to top it off, the GOP delivered the most obstructionist Congresses in history all thru the Obama years. Then McConnell stuffed Garland, changed the rules & saddled the country with 2 extremely conservative justices. There's the minor matter of gratuitous budget busting tax cuts to wealthy right wing billionaires while putting the stink eye on programs that benefit the most vulnerable Americans.

But Dems are obviously being unreasonable here in not indulging the toddler in chief. I mean, he has hostages, right, so we better give him what he wants.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Ugly is just being his disingenuous self. He knows that the Dems offered a compromise on wall funding that Trump claimed to support before he torpedoed it. Trump needs this shutdown to keep his base frothing.

I can't wait until Pelosi & HOR Dems toss a writ of impeachment in McConnell's lap.

Feb 4, 2009
Related but off topic. I heard some Republican Representative on the radio saying: it’s up to the Democrats, nobody wants to see DACA end everyone wants strong boarders. Let’s pass a spending resolution then talk about DACA when everyone is back to work.

Sounds a lot like it’s too soon to talk about guns let’s do it later when the time is right

Later never comes...

Reactions: soundforbjt

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

they gave trump more border security the last time. That was compromise.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I completely agree it’s a waste of resources but it’s what a large segment of America wants. There’s a LOT of wasted resources in the government. Why is this the one that causes you to dig up your heels in and cause a government shutdown?

No.

It's what a teeny teeny tiny fucking minority of America wants.

Stop lying. And fuck all those fascist assholes that think we need a fucking useless wall. Let them all go to the border and link arms as a human wall. ...it will probably stretch a mile, but they would be providing the first useful service to humanity they have served at that point. Such fascist assholes are beyond redemption.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I completely agree it’s a waste of resources but it’s what a large segment of America wants. There’s a LOT of wasted resources in the government. Why is this the one that causes you to dig up your heels in and cause a government shutdown?

Less than a third consider the wall a priority. Waste? Sometimes but problems go far deeper with misallocation and ill informed policies. I'm for reforming all that. I'll go along with the vast majority and not create yet another farce.

Also consider that this is more than the wall. All Trump will have to do is threaten a shutdown for anything he wants, forming an aliance with Putin against Europe, seizing personal property in the name of the government and building on it. Absolutely everything by the method he uses now, blackmail. Of course blackmailers always act after the payment with highest ethics./s

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yea they should and yes it is good politics. Have you ever been married? It’s impossible to get by without compromise, even if you think...no you know!...the other side is wrong. We have a marriage of opposing viewpoints that makes up this great country and yes compromise is sorely needed. The Newt Gingrich approach of no compromise is ripping the country apart. So yes, they should.

You don't understand. You say you do, but you don't. Please read carefully:

I am not saying they should never compromise. There's a significant amount of middle ground where you can. But there are issues on which you just shouldn't bend. The wall is one of them. It's not just wasteful, it's born out of hatred, ignorance and incompetence. Making that compromise would represent a compromise in basic humanity on top of being a bad political move.

Besides, you know the saying: if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything. A good person is flexible and open to change, but also knows just where they'll remain firm.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
He will probably sit on it like Merrick Garland.

Impossible. The law demands that it be addressed in a timely fashion & Mitch can't change the law w/o the HOR. I don't think he'll invoke that Constitutional crisis to save Trump's ass.

When & if he turns on Trump he'll give no warning & go straight for the throat.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Wut? Impeach him? Lay it the premise for me, what would he be impeached for. I don’t know the mechanism but I’m assuming congress would have to come together to vote for an impeachment, what would these Congress critters use as their basis. And do you really truly think the Dems in power would do that? The Kavanaugh fiasco was a black eye for he Dems, do they want to revisit?

Then you're either too partisan or weren't paying attention. Kavanaugh is not fit for that court and you fucking know it. The black eye, nay, oily fetid rank stain is a persistent affliction to this day and the USSC wears it - in the form of Boof Kavanaugh's membership.

Another thread though, surely.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001

I dunno, ask for something. Don’t touch Obamacare for instance. Or grant dreamers amnesty (I think that was proposed already, push again, this time with a shutdown government). Can’t get anything if you don’t ask. And the GOP needs to be willing to bend and give. That’s the way compromise works and the way our government should work if it was run by adults.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Trump is a zero sum guy.

Which is why he signed the omnibus bill exactly as Nancy and Chuck wanted and the compromise was more military spending. Trump, the take no prisoners zero sum no compromise guy. I’ll be darned