RDNA Builders Thread - 5700 XT / 5700, etc.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
If you would consider another 5700XT, get the Sapphire Nitro+, its more expensive, but I can't find anything negative about it so they must have good QA. At least, that could be the case.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
If you would consider another 5700XT, get the Sapphire Nitro+, its more expensive, but I can't find anything negative about it so they must have good QA. At least, that could be the case.
Do you own one of these Sapphire 5700 XT cards?? Are they good??
I wont even know what I am able to purchase till this coming Thursday, as this is when Newegg will receive my returned Power Color Red Devil.
I am keeping my fingers crossed that they dont just go and send me a replacement unit of the same card..
To be truly honest here, I am scared to even try another 5700 XT at this point.
I read an awful lot of negative reviews with people with the same issues as me.
Which leads me to believe these cards have a high failure rate.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I don't personally have a 5700XT, but I have the predecessor, the Vega 64 Nitro+ from Sapphire. It is a very good card.

Reactions: Justinbaileyman

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
I don't personally have a 5700XT, but I have the predecessor, the Vega 64 Nitro+ from Sapphire. It is a very good card.
Heck yeah those are very good card,s so good in fact that 5700 XT cant best them!!
I would have gotten a Vega 64 but at the prime of there time Radeon VII released and I was trying to save my money up for one of those.
By the time I had enough saved up the 5700 XT's came out.
Kinda hurts now that I got a bum card and I have to use a old back up 1gb card for 2 weeks that cant game for crap these day.
I feel like I am going through game withdrawal LOL..
I kinda like that Asus Strix 10+ 2 phase vrm 5700 XT. I know you like Nitro+ 5700 XT but it only has 7+ 1 vrm phase which a is a bare minimum for running such a high end card.
Any ways I am on the fence which card to get now.
My choices are Asus 5700 XT , XFX Radeon VII , or EVGA RTX 2070 SUper XC Ultra.
This is of course if the prices stay the same and stock is available.

Veradun

Jul 29, 2016
Heck yeah those are very good card,s so good in fact that 5700 XT cant best them!!
I would have gotten a Vega 64 but at the prime of there time Radeon VII released and I was trying to save my money up for one of those.
By the time I had enough saved up the 5700 XT's came out.
Kinda hurts now that I got a bum card and I have to use a old back up 1gb card for 2 weeks that cant game for crap these day.
I feel like I am going through game withdrawal LOL..
I kinda like that Asus Strix 10+ 2 phase vrm 5700 XT. I know you like Nitro+ 5700 XT but it only has 7+ 1 vrm phase which a is a bare minimum for running such a high end card.
Any ways I am on the fence which card to get now.
My choices are Asus 5700 XT , XFX Radeon VII , or EVGA RTX 2070 SUper XC Ultra.
This is of course if the prices stay the same and stock is available.
I wouldn't buy an Asus tbh.

Taichi, Nitro and THICC III are better choices, as well as the Red Devil even if you got a broken one.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
I wouldn't buy an Asus tbh.

Taichi, Nitro and THICC III are better choices, as well as the Red Devil even if you got a broken one.
Why wouldnt you buy an Asus Strix 5700 XT? Its the top card with a 10+ 2 VRM power phase and buildzoids top chioce.
Next best is the Red devil but this card has dozens and dozens of negative reviews.
Plus I got a faulty one myself.
I would not get a Thicc III due to the entire shroud and back plate being pure plastic.
In my opinion though the Taichi has the best looking back plate of all the cards so far.
Well next to the one in the video I posted with the cool Japanimation back plate.

Veradun

Jul 29, 2016
Why wouldnt you buy an Asus Strix 5700 XT? Its the top card with a 10+ 2 VRM power phase and buildzoids top chioce.
Next best is the Red devil but this card has dozens and dozens of negative reviews.
Plus I got a faulty one myself.
I would not get a Thicc III due to the entire shroud and back plate being pure plastic.
In my opinion though the Taichi has the best looking back plate of all the cards so far.
Well next to the one in the video I posted with the cool Japanimation back plate.

Here's an useful table: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-xt-nitro-special-edition/32.html

Asus is as overpriced as possible (well, actually far beyond what i deem possible)

Azix

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2014
As a brand, Asus has some nice stuff. But they will make you pay for it.
there was a point where the sapphire nitro+ was selling for more than the strix on newegg iirc. And the strix has better build quality. nitro+ seems to be weaker than the powercolor and strix but still solid and looks nice.

The last price I saw was 429 on sale or thereabouts.

I bought a used pulse and its going well. Undervolted to 1860Mhz 979mV and -27 power target (I just want 60 fps at 1440p). Seems more efficient than the 1080 I had before and I would say still faster with undervolt. Can run hot without undervolt though not outside of safe temps

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Got my refund today as a partial store credit for my DOA Red Devil 5700 XT.
I guess I am gonna try to have another go at it with AMD's 5700 XT.
I am gonna buy the Asus Strix 5700 XT this time only because I had an interest in this card a week or so ago and now it just went on sale for $429.99
If it doesn't pan out this time I wont be buying AMD's GPU's for quite sometime.
I am keeping my fingers crossed so wish me luck and I will keep you all posted on how this new card works out for me.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
If it doesn't pan out this time I wont be buying AMD's GPU's for quite sometime.
Hardware that dies in the first couple of weeks is something that happen - better than breaking after warranty IMO.
The first powercolor card I had, 4850 PCS+, died on the second week, was replaced by another 4850 PCS+ and it is still running on an old PC at my parents (10 years now?). A pair of 480 Red Devils have been running fine for the last 3 years with the 1330 MHz bios.

My 5700XT Red Devil been playing a lot of stuff during its first week with no problems (mostly XBOX PC pass games and borderlands 3).
Need to get it a higher resolution monitor for xmas now to let the card stretch.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Hardware that dies in the first couple of weeks is something that happen - better than breaking after warranty IMO.
The first powercolor card I had, 4850 PCS+, died on the second week, was replaced by another 4850 PCS+ and it is still running on an old PC at my parents (10 years now?). A pair of 480 Red Devils have been running fine for the last 3 years with the 1330 MHz bios.

My 5700XT Red Devil been playing a lot of stuff during its first week with no problems (mostly XBOX PC pass games and borderlands 3).
Need to get it a higher resolution monitor for xmas now to let the card stretch.
I understand this , I just feel like AMD are starting to lose there touch when it comes to building GPU's after the RX-480,580, and 590 era.
They have had the same issues with cards running to hot and dying or burning out with random crashes since Vega and Radeon VII and now the 5700 XT's are doing the same things.
Its funny cause you don't ever see reviewers getting BAD or DOA cards and reporting on it to warn others to stay away.
I don't care who is who and what brand is what, if a product works it works and if it doesn't it doesn't.
I have no issues warning others of my findings.
Anyways I am giving AMD another chance to make things right and send me a working product so we will see whats whats.
I dont think it is to much to ask for AMD to make working products and for the QC Dept. to actually test hardware before they send it out!!

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
I understand this , I just feel like AMD are starting to lose there touch when it comes to building GPU's after the RX-480,580, and 590 era.
They have had the same issues with cards running to hot and dying or burning out with random crashes since Vega and Radeon VII and now the 5700 XT's are doing the same things.
Its funny cause you don't ever see reviewers getting BAD or DOA cards and reporting on it to warn others to stay away.
I don't care who is who and what brand is what, if a product works it works and if it doesn't it doesn't.
I have no issues warning others of my findings.
Anyways I am giving AMD another chance to make things right and send me a working product so we will see whats whats.
I dont think it is to much to ask for AMD to make working products and for the QC Dept. to actually test hardware before they send it out!!
In this case it would have been powercolor responsibility as it is their design.
Most likely it was some pcb component and not the GPU chip itself that is dead.

I didn't own any Vega based product so I can't comment on those but my red devil runs at a low temperature and it seems to have a beefy power delivery system with 10 vrm phases.

On Amazon it seems to have decent reviews.

Hopefully your new card is working fine.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
2080Ti seems like it was worse (space invaders).
Looks like there are gonna be issues with this card as well.
QC didnt check mounting heatsink to PCB pressure and it looks like the screws are to long to make correct tight pressure and keep the heatsink connected to the CPU,VRM,and Memory. here is a video to show what I am talking about.Skip ahead to 1:30 to see what I am talking about.
I think I will either put in some washer or new screws to fix the issue myself rather then RMA the card.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Radeon VII also had some washer mods for its retention mechanism that worked for some folks.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Just a quick update here guys. I got my Asus Strix 5700 XT today from UPS.
All I can say is WOW what a card!!
At first, I thought I got another DOA card because soon as I powered the PC on I got a black screen, no Bios or post or thats what I thought cause then a message popped up on the screen saying my T.V. doesn't support the video device or resolution which is totally inaccurate.
Anyways I literally didnt do anything and the card fixed the issue all by its self some how over the course of 60 seconds.
I then booted into windows and did all the rigmarole and installed the drivers and even flashed to the newest efficiency bios.
This card is completely amazing and worth every penny and hassle I went through with the Power Color Red Devil.
The image and color quality that this card provides is insane compared to my old GTX 1660 TI.
Not sure how to explain it but textures and just the graphics them selves look better.
Also the card runs super cool and feels almost ice cold to the touch vs. me burning the crap out of my finger on the red devil.\Oh and I was one of the lucky one and didnt get a defective unit with loose screws which needed that washer mod.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
At first, I thought I got another DOA card because soon as I powered the PC on I got a black screen, no Bios or post or thats what I thought cause then a message popped up on the screen saying my T.V. doesn't support the video device or resolution which is totally inaccurate.
Anyways I literally didnt do anything and the card fixed the issue all by its self some how over the course of 60 seconds.

Huh. Some new AM4 Ryzen systems behave the same way. They get locked into a memory training loop or something and take awhile to boot . . . kinda wonder if your PowerColor card didn't just get stuck that way.

The image and color quality that this card provides is insane compared to my old GTX 1660 TI.

AMD fans have been saying that about their cards for years: NV sacrifices IQ for performance. Allegedly. I can't tell since I haven't had an NV card in awhile.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Huh. Some new AM4 Ryzen systems behave the same way. They get locked into a memory training loop or something and take awhile to boot . . . kinda wonder if your PowerColor card didn't just get stuck that way.

AMD fans have been saying that about their cards for years: NV sacrifices IQ for performance. Allegedly. I can't tell since I haven't had an NV card in awhile.
Well I am not a all out AMD fan as I like both AMD and Nvidia alot and have had many many GPU's from both through the last 20 or more years.
It is just strange with this card as image quality goes,because soon as I installed it with the Radeon drivers I could immediately tell the difference in video quality.
The colors seem much more vibrant and sharper and the blacks are much blacker and much deeper.
So far so good, the only complaint I have is the weight of the card.
I thought my motherboard was heavy and weighed my case down but now its darn near impossible to even pick up my case with all the components set up with this card now added.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Not sure how to explain it but textures and just the graphics them selves look better.
It is just strange with this card as image quality goes,because soon as I installed it with the Radeon drivers I could immediately tell the difference in video quality.
The colors seem much more vibrant and sharper and the blacks are much blacker and much deeper.
I've seen that too. It seems that in many cases, NVidia detects displays, and doesn't drive them at the full color range, or full Chroma sub-sampling depth (4:2:0 instead of 4:4:4) or something. My AMD cards, by default, look way better.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
OMG just about had a heart attack!!
I updated to the AMD Radeon 2020 Adrenalin Drivers that just came out today and when I restarted my PC to finish the update/install, I got blank black screen with an error message saying device doesn't support resolution and resolution out of sync please contact your vendor.
Waited and waited and it did not fix itself this time.

Luckily I have my Windows Login as a Pin code so I restarted again maybe 3 times in a row and got to log into Windows from a blank black screen and by luck the radeon drivers and software was able to finished the install and the screen came back on.
I can only imagine those who don't have windows set up this way will be stuck and unable to use there 5700xt's due to this weird bug.

Any ways, I have been playing Halo Master Chief Collection online Multiplayer through XBox Gamer Pass for like the last 2 hours with all settings completely maxed out with out any stuttering or lag like alot of 5700xt owners report.
Temps stay at a cool 45c for Gpu , 40c for VRM and 36c for Memory if any one was wondering.

I am currently using ECO/Efficiency Bios Mode so that is helping also to keep temps low but I havent been able to tell the difference in performance at all vs the OC/Performance mode except temps are way better with ECO.