Ray Tracing’s A Game Changer ,Call of Duty: Modern Warfare , and RTX review for "Control" ,Minecraft NEW Ray Tracing RTX Mode Hands-On And Tested

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Krteq

May 22, 2015
AMD hardware can run it, you are absolutely correct, where are the drivers to support it?

Right now developers have to work around the fact that AMD is refusing to support the industry standard....
As I told you before in another thread, AMD is one of co-authors of DXR standard and they have support in drivers (DXR fallback layer), but it's not exposed yet, probably due to fact that fallback layer is already deprecated.

For example, since Adrenalin 19.1.2, these lines of code are present in amdxn64.dll file
PFIn9se.png

So, stop spreading that misinformation

Reactions: Glo.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The gaming industry revolves around Linux and 'support' is an existential thing that doesn't require customers being able to use it..... Ladies and gentlemen AMD support base :)

Reactions: Muhammed

Muhammed

Jul 8, 2009
AMD hardware can run RT tech demos anyway (see Minecraft with RT features running on 5700XT
Pascal can run these very same demos too. With better speeds too.

RT can run on anything, even CPUs, it's the performance that matters. MineCraft RTX uses real time RT to do real time shadowing, lighting and reflections. This isn't possible with the mods.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
The gaming industry revolves around Linux and 'support' is an existential thing that doesn't require customers being able to use it..... Ladies and gentlemen AMD support base :)

Your strawman arguments are tiresome and getting old fast. You also constantly mention AMD fans and AMD support base in a very negative way, seems you have an axe to grind.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Control: RTX provides little to no IQ change but cuts the framerate in half: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/control-benchmark-test-performance-nvidia-rtx/4.html

Also the DF video confirms DX12 is a stutterfest like many other DX12 games. But you need DX12 for RTX. Whoops. o_O

I mean who in their right mind is going to claim those screenshots are a "game changer", "must have", and are absolutely worth cutting your framerate in half? I guess some people will continue to insist the Emperor has nice clothes...

As someone who many times got railed by my lecturer in 3D animation for leaving glossy surfaces stupidly shiny looking, I have to say alot of the RTX shots look utterly silly in light of the PBR Metallic Roughness model that has been around for years - it's not like it suddenly became redundant because of RT, and it just makes their texture artists look like lazy slobs who can't be bothered to make a decent go at it, all to prove to nVidia they can bend over the furthest for that sponsorship money, just uuuuuuggggghhhh......
Yep, it's ridiculous levels of PhysX particles and over-tessellated concrete barriers all over again. Also when we were told to drop to 22" 1680x1050 TN from 30" 2560x1600 IPS because 3D-Vision was "the future".

Last edited:

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
Also the DF video confirms DX12 is a stutterfest like many other DX12 games. But you need DX12 for RTX. Whoops. o_O
NV already has their own vendor specific Vulkan extension for accelerating RT, and a vendor agnostic extension is in development (with many HW vendors input) pending a second implementation for release (probably AMD next year).

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Your strawman arguments are tiresome and getting old fast. You also constantly mention AMD fans and AMD support base in a very negative way, seems you have an axe to grind.
Are AMD fans, and AMD support base diagnosed by Nvidia shill, or fanboy? ;)

Im sorry, people, but that is how comical some comments are, done by two specific users are in this thread.

Muhammed

Jul 8, 2009
Control: RTX provides little to no IQ change but cuts the framerate in half: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/control-benchmark-test-performance-nvidia-rtx/4.html
Bad attempt at misleading the public, from that very same article:

so it's not surprising that Control has an excellent raytracing implementation. Unlike most other games which only use a single raytracing effect, Control uses RTX for lighting, reflections, and shadows. Combined, these add impressive visuals that make the whole game more lifelike and interesting—when have you ever started shooting at your own reflection in a far away glass panel? As expected, RTX does come with a significant performance hit—when all RTX features are enabled, we see performance drop 40% to 50%. Still, even at that cost I'm tempted to say that this is the first game where RTX really makes a difference and raytracing can shine.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/control-benchmark-test-performance-nvidia-rtx/6.html

Muhammed

Jul 8, 2009
Once again none of the reflections, shadows or indirect lighting in that video are true ray tracing, they are just a screen space effect unable to catch off screen objects and lights, also any dynamic object doesn"t cast shadow or reflections. Not to mention, it hardly runs well at 1080p.

See DF analysis of that mod here:

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
Only looking at those on my phone, but the screenshots are not that impressive for 40-50% lower frame rates. Also, I'm not interested in playing at 1080.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Bad attempt at misleading the public, from that very same article:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/control-benchmark-test-performance-nvidia-rtx/6.html

People have eyes, everybody can tell that the differences are minimal. And as for the bit you quotes from TPU where they say "When did you last shoot at your own reflection", this was first possible in Duke Nuk'em back in the 90's. Yes it was a 'faked' reflection, but it had the exact same visual effect with no performance hit.

You can go through the reviews that have the slider to see RTX ON/OFF, the vast majority of the areas have only extra floor reflections. And all it cost was half the frame rates.

Muhammed

Jul 8, 2009
People have eyes, everybody can tell that the differences are minimal.

Look at the pictures yourself instead of regurgitating a reviewer's opinion. I encourage "the public" to do the same.
Those who played the game can tell that the difference is huge, not those arm chair experts who desparately want the RTX to fail!

I posted DF analysis about the tech, now TPU, even PCGH.. all think RTX in Control make a huge difference, those are people who actually played the game.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Those who played the game can tell that the difference is huge, not those arm chair experts who desparately want the RTX to fail!

I posted DF analysis about the tech, now TPU, even PCGH.. all think RTX in Control make a huge difference, those are people who actually played the game.
Everybody has seen not only pictures, but also gameplays, that compare side-by-side, RTX on and Off, and the effect is still not worth the performance hit, nor is such game changer that you picture it ito be.

I always find funny, that you, or people like you, find that when other people do not agree with your world view, on Nvidia products, you accuse them of wanting RTX, or any Nvidia technology to fail.

If this is the best Nvidia can do, it will fail regardless of what we think, because it is not impressive. That is all.

Is this the best thing RTX offers?

Arm chair experts, you say? I think their opinion is the most important, because they are the ones who buy the products, that you promote here so much. And so far, RTX does not offer any reason to buy Nvidia product, solely for RT. So I think you should stop being disrespectful towards users, with whom you do not agree with.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Once again none of the reflections, shadows or indirect lighting in that video are true ray tracing, they are just a screen space effect unable to catch off screen objects and lights, also any dynamic object doesn"t cast shadow or reflections. Not to mention, it hardly runs well at 1080p.

See DF analysis of that mod here:

please list a time code for where DF says it is screen space effects.
About SEUS
SEUS (Sonic Ether’s Unbelievable Shaders) is a shaderpack for Minecraft to be used with OptiFine or GLSL Shaders Mod (legacy).
SEUS Renewed is a reinvention of the legacy versions of SEUS that brings you quality visuals at a reasonable performance using traditional rasterization-based rendering methods. There are some unreleased development versions of SEUS Renewed, but most of my development time lately goes into developing SEUS PTGI.
SEUS PTGI is an experimental version of SEUS that includes a totally custom software implementation of ray tracing that does not require an RTX graphics card and will work on any NVIDIA graphics card (though low-end cards may struggle with performance. AMD compatibility is still being worked on). The “PTGI” in the name stands for “Path Traced Global Illumination”, which is the main feature of this project. It also includes ray traced reflections.

you may want to do some research, path tracing is the latest variant of ray tracing.

it handles color, specularity, shadows, area lights, reflection, refraction, caustics, global illumination; the same as contemporary algorithm real time raytracing.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
If this is the best Nvidia can do, it will fail regardless of what we think, because it is not impressive. That is all.

Is this the best thing RTX offers?
This is the best that current hardware can do with RTRT, Nvidia or not. Not so much a fail, just premature for the current state of HW for those who prefer high res gaming. To those with 1080p displays who dont care much about high res, RTRT may be a worthwhile option for them to turn on/off.

Reactions: DXDiag

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
This is the best that current hardware can do with RTRT, Nvidia or not. Not so much a fail, just premature for the current state of HW for those who prefer high res gaming. To those with 1080p displays who dont care much about high res, RTRT may be a worthwhile option for them to turn on/off.

Thing is 1080P gamers rarely have $1000 video cards that can actually run at 1080P with adequate frame rates.

Reactions: Elfear

Muhammed

Jul 8, 2009
Everybody has seen not only pictures, but also gameplays, that compare side-by-side, RTX on and Off, and the effect is still not worth the performance hit, nor is such game changer that you picture it ito be.
I am not the one picturing, I am quoting the people you quoted.
But go on keep on denying, while ray tracing keeps being integrated into every major engine under the sun and most AAA games. Maybe keep yourself confined to PS3 graphics while at it.

Muhammed

Jul 8, 2009
it handles color, specularity, shadows, area lights, reflection, refraction, caustics, global illumination; the same as contemporary algorithm real time raytracing.
You do the research not me, I basically provided you with the links to my data, you didn't. Anyway here is the part you are looking for:

DXDiag

Nov 12, 2017
No. Im saying that future of gaming is Linux. Thats it. Stadia, and other game streaming services in the future, is just part of it.
On one hand you prefer 4K resolution above all else, on the other hand you like streaming services and believe they are the solution and the future, then you dislike DLSS and upscaled resolutions for the services of Ray Tracing and believe they are not the future. Makeup your mind already friend.

If you don't like DLSS, then by necessity you won't like streaming services, as they will never be able to offer you true 4K sharpness or quality or high fps for that matter, their output will always be compressed, full of image artifacts and limited to 60fps.

People prefer different things, many people value advances in graphics simulation over mere sharpness from extreme resolutions.

Reactions: Muhammed

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
On one hand you prefer 4K resolution above all else, on the other hand you like streaming services and believe they are the solution and the future, then you dislike DLSS and upscaled resolutions for the services of Ray Tracing and believe they are not the future. Makeup your mind already friend.

If you don't like DLSS, then by necessity you won't like streaming services, as they will never be able to offer you true 4K sharpness or quality or high fps for that matter, their output will always be compressed, full of image artifacts and limited to 60fps.

People prefer different things, many people value advances in graphics simulation over mere sharpness from extreme resolutions.
And I think you have read way too much in my posts, and made up YOUR mind.

Its funny that you believe I like streaming services, based on my comments about them. I do not like streaming services. How does this statement change your perception of me? ;)