omega59

Aug 10, 2012
Hey guys. I have OSMC setup and with my new 2.5' HDD (Western-Digital-Passport-Drive-USB-3-0-WDBYFT0030BBK-WESN). I have a problem where it keeps crashing the OSMC with the blue-screen sad face randomly. From what I gather it is a power-insufficient issue. Looking at my PI's power supply it says Output: 5V 2500mAH, and this HDD uses a single USB 3.0, with Wattage 2.00 with Input-Voltage 5. Can someone please suggest a USB HUB that will work even for future additional drives, without the same issues I'm currently having. I do have the Ethernet socket connected and a Blue Tooth Dongle for my Logitech Keyboard connected as well. It would be a bonus if ALL my drives can remain on at the same time ofc :)

Thank You!

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Something like the StarTech ST4300MINI would probably be plenty. 3 Amps of 5V power from it's power adapter will take care of the hard drives and should put no load on your RPi.

Reactions: Charlie22911

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
In essence any usb hub with its own power supply will do. RPI3 power supplies tend to be just enough for the rpi3 and not much else.

omega59

Aug 10, 2012
I'm getting a bit annoyed with Pi3, I'm ready to ditch it for Nvidia shield or something. Pi is just too slow and i hate all these wires just to power-up a HDD. Does the shield work well with simply connecting the HDD USB?

Lewy

Aug 22, 2001
I'm getting a bit annoyed with Pi3, I'm ready to ditch it for Nvidia shield or something. Pi is just too slow and i hate all these wires just to power-up a HDD. Does the shield work well with simply connecting the HDD USB?
Well you might consider the new PI 3 B+ that came out in march as it not only offers a small speed increase (1.4Ghz vs 1.2) but more importantly much better Ethernet (300 vs 100) and wifi speeds as well as better heat and power control which means better sound too. Your micro-sd card should plug right in and work with it?
A nice $35 upgrade and you could use your old Pi for a pi-hole or something else too.

omega59

Aug 10, 2012
Yeah, i will pass though bc it's not a big difference. I am still thinking about the Shield or I will buy a cheap laptop with HDMI output. That will play everything for sure and then some.

Lewy

Aug 22, 2001
The main advantages of the pi is that it's cheap and has a big support community . There are a lot of good solutions but all will become obsolete sooner or later and each also has disadvantages too.
If you do buy a B+ I'd update and upgrade it (two simple cmds) and I think you will be a lot happier with its speed !7% faster processor and 3x Ethernet etc.
Discussion of Kodi and B+: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=329654