RAID0 trim and SRT seems possible on 6-series and 5-Series

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
For those of us who haven't done hex modifications in years, what is the best program to use to edit the hex values of the OROMs? Can we use the HxD or WinHex (that we use to test TRIM) to modify and save the OROMs?

Edit: Looks like HxD will do the job just fine.

Last edited:

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
Can we use the HxD or WinHex (that we use to test TRIM) to modify and save the OROMs?
Edit: Looks like HxD will do the job just fine.
Yes, I am using the tool HxD and it is doing its work fine.
By the way: To avoid any mistake done by hex editor newbees I will offer >here< a modified Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702, where the Trim in RAID option has already been unlocked for Intel 6-Series chipsets.

ney2x

Nov 21, 2012
By the way: To avoid any mistake done by hex editor newbees I will offer >here< a modified Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702, where the Trim in RAID option has already been unlocked for Intel 6-Series chipsets.

Upon checking with your modified raid_rom file, you replaced all values "01" to "07" I just tested it on my other system and here's what I found...

1. all values "01" replaced with "07" - TRIM (RAID-0) not working.
2. replacing only the specific value like for example Z68 chipset (or what MaxICH did) - TRIM (RAID-0) is working.

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
Upon checking with your modified raid_rom file, you replaced all values "01" to "07" I just tested it on my other system and here's what I found...
1. all values "01" replaced with "07" - TRIM (RAID-0) not working.
2. replacing only the specific value like for example Z68 chipset (or what MaxICH did) - TRIM (RAID-0) is working.
Thank you for having tested the Intel RAID ROM file, which has been modified by me, and for having compared it with another one, where only the correct chipset related "Flag" hex code pair has been changed. The test result is very interesting.
As a consequence I will remodify the Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702 just for the 6-Series chipset Desktop PCs (Device ID 1C06 and 1C07). I think, that there are not so many mobile systems with an Intel RAID0 array.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Of course, you guys know that I'll have to go out and buy another Corsair Force GT 180GB to now pair up and RAID my P67 system (or buy 2 new drives altogether), LOL! :biggrin: :p

ney2x

Nov 21, 2012
Of course, you guys know that I'll have to go out and buy another Corsair Force GT 180GB to now pair up and RAID my P67 system (or buy 2 new drives altogether), LOL! :biggrin: :p

To save you from flashing or modifying raid rom, you can also buy an Intel SSD and use Intel SSD Toolbox's SSD Optimizer --- TRIM (RAID-0) works without any modifications, though you need to manually TRIM your drives or setting a schedule Optimize using Intel SSD Toolbox :)

ney2x

Nov 21, 2012
Slightly off-topic:

For those sidebar gadget lovers out there, I just want to share a gadget for you to monitor your disk. You'll see some of indicator/readings when emptying recycle bin and so on... :cool:

disk_monitor.png

download link

organshifter

Nov 22, 2012
Since the TRIM in RAID0 feature works for my Z77 system with Win7 and Win8, I think, that the OS will not be the problem.
Thanks. I had a feeling that it wasn't the OS causing the issue.

In my initial modification, I changed all of the 01 flags to 07 and TRIM didn't work. Shortly after, I decided to modify my file just as MaxICH did. TRIM still didn't work. So, thinking that maybe I didn't change the flags correctly, I was happy to see that you linked to your own modded release. I compared my file with yours just now, and the MD5 and SHA1 are exactly the same. So, as it turns out, even with my file matching yours exactly, TRIM still doesn't work for me.

With my SSD's, on day one, both drives were updated to the most recent firmware, v5.0.4 which fixed the TRIM issues. I tested each drive individually, and TRIM worked perfectly. Yet and still, I can't help but wonder if it could be the SandForce SF-2281 controller that is not playing nicely.

Although my modded OROM appears to be the same as yours, maybe trying your file instead would make a difference?

Any suggestions?

EDIT: This is with Intel RST v11.6.0.1030.

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3
SSD Drives: 2x 128GB Transcend SSD320 Premium RAID0

Last edited:

Ourasi

Jun 15, 2009
The Intel SF drives would probably be the ones best suites to test this orom with, since they have a 100% working firmware for raid0 TRIM, all though I do believe SF drives TRIM just fine on Z77 in raid0 (?). I have both Intel 520's and C300's in raid0, and if someone insert the orom modded by fernando into my mb-bios I'll give it a try or two..

ney2x

Nov 21, 2012
@organshifter

All I can suggest is a trial-and-error method.

First, you need to re-create your RAID-Volume using v11.6.0.1702 ( just like I recommends here ). Second, try my modded raid rom file (which works only on Z68 system). Lastly, test if TRIM works now.

organshifter

Nov 22, 2012
The Intel SF drives would probably be the ones best suites to test this orom with, since they have a 100% working firmware for raid0 TRIM, all though I do believe SF drives TRIM just fine on Z77 in raid0 (?). I have both Intel 520's and C300's in raid0, and if someone insert the orom modded by fernando into my mb-bios I'll give it a try or two..

@organshifter

First, you need to re-create your RAID-Volume using v11.6.0.1702 ( just like I recommends here ). Second, try my modded raid rom file (which works only on Z68 system). Lastly, test if TRIM works now.

Thanks for the info guys. It puts my mind to ease knowing that there may still be hope. I'm going to try your suggestions asap!

davidm71

Nov 13, 2008
@organshifter

So you need to recreate the volume from scratch to have trim working?? I will try that later. Also any X58 users out there want to mirror my efforts?

Also slightly off topic what stripe size are you guys using?

Thanks.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009

Hey have you updated your field for the p67 series? and what do we are we supposed to do with the file once you have it?

Last edited:

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
Hey have you updated your field for the p67 series?
I have unlocked the TRIM in RAID0 ability for all 6-Series Desktop Chipsets by setting the FLAGS for both related Intel SATA RAID Controllers (DEV_1C06 and DEV_1C07) from "1" to "7".
and what do we are we supposed to do with the file once you have it?
If you have any desktop system with an Intel 6-Series chipset (e.g. P67 or Z68) and want to get the TRIM in RAID0 feature, you can download the modified Intel RAID ROM module and replace the Intel RAID ROM module, which is inside your actual mainboard BIOS, by this modified file.
If you do not know how to do it, you can find a guide >here<.

Ourasi

Jun 15, 2009
I have unlocked the TRIM in RAID0 ability for all 6-Series Desktop Chipsets by setting the FLAGS for both related Intel SATA RAID Controllers (DEV_1C06 and DEV_1C07) from "1" to "7".
If you have any desktop system with an Intel 6-Series chipset (e.g. P67 or Z68) and want to get the TRIM in RAID0 feature, you can download the modified Intel RAID ROM module and replace the Intel RAID ROM module, which is inside your actual mainboard BIOS, by this modified file.
If you do not know how to do it, you can find a guide >here<.

Have inserted your latest modded 6-series only orom module, and tested a quickformat on my secondary raid0 with two 64gb C300's on Intel SATAII. They where used for more then a year and was a bit degraded, the format gave them their performance back and then some, they actually scored higher then new, unused and empty. So my initial experience is that atleast the C300's got trimmed. I've not tested the tool used in the OP's posts yet to confirm (never used it, not sure howto), but even my Intel 520 raid0 behave differently, as they score higher in anvil for each test I do, naturally the opposite of a nontrim environment, but I'll hold off saying if it's working on them with sertainty, but seems like they are behaving like they should do if trimmed between runs..

Thx for the pre-fixed orom fernando, forced med to learn MMtool for UEFI aswell, not that it was very different from non-UEFI...

Did not recreate the arrays, did not have to do that to get manual TRIM to work with Intel SSD Toolbox, so chose not to again.. None I know had to do this to get TRIM to work on Z77 after orom updates either..

Last edited:

ney2x

Nov 21, 2012
So you need to recreate the volume from scratch to have trim working?? I will try that later. Also any X58 users out there want to mirror my efforts?

Also slightly off topic what stripe size are you guys using?

Thanks.

What I am trying to say is, you need to recreate raid volume if your existing raid volume was created using an older raid orom v11.5.0.xxxx below.

Brahmzy

Jul 27, 2004
Can somebody with a P8P67 Deluxe test out all of this with the latest 3509 BIOS?
I'd be willing to pay $ for a verified TRIM-working 3509-based BIOS. Serious about the money. A new P8Z77-V Pro would cost me $180 right now.

MaxICH

Nov 19, 2012
Can somebody with a P8P67 Deluxe test out all of this with the latest 3509 BIOS?
I'd be willing to pay $ for a verified TRIM-working 3509-based BIOS. Serious about the money. A new P8Z77-V Pro would cost me $180 right now.

Dufus posted his tests on a Asus P67 board in the OP, so I'm not sure what other confirmation you are looking for. You can even use the orom posted by Fernando if you are not familiar with hex editing and test it in less than 5 minutes.

Brahmzy

Jul 27, 2004
Is there a quick way / diy guide to inject that modded OROM into a 3509 bios? And will my board allow me to flash a modded 3509 bios over asus's 3509 bios?

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
Is there a quick way / diy guide to inject that modded OROM into a 3509 bios?
Yes, >here< is a guide. Nevertheless I have just downloaded the latest BIOS 3509 for your ASUS P8P67 DELUXE mainboard and updated the Intel RAID ROM module from v10.5.1.1070 to v11.6.0.1702, which has been modified by me regarding the TRIM in RAID feature for 6-Series chipsets. You can download this BIOS from >here<.
And will my board allow me to flash a modded 3509 bios over asus's 3509 bios?
Yes.

Good luck!
Fernando

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
NOTICE: This thread was started to only show that it is possible to have RAID0 trim with some currently unsupported chipsets. I never have worked in the computer/software industry and all testing done is purely empirically based and therefore prone to error. To get proper RAID0 trim support wait for Intel and manufacturers to provide an updated OROM with validation to ensure proper operation.

I disagree about "proper validation" being needed or EVER being released.
This is driver DRM to encourage people to upgrade.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Anyone know if the most recent verison of the intel toolbox will allow a manual trim pass on a Raid 0 setup for an X58 chipset?

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
The issue I am having is that mmtool nor aptio are recognizing any of the gigabyte bioses that my board uses (ga-p67x-ud3-b3 board). I get an error when trying to load the rom