Radeon R9 290x QUADFIRE (Hell yeah)

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oi karl! You want to be smacked senseless!?!

GET THAT 4K AND ENJOY!

Best purchase I did this last year was that 4k screen... Eyefinity works awesome with it on 1440 with my two qnix screens and I bet that it being a matte and a middle screen it will be more awesome then the previous glossy crossover.

Trust me when I say... once you install it you gonna freaking love gaming again.

Just take my word... stay away from the 14.x drivers for your sanity.... shit drivers fro quadfire+eyefinity.

so native DP is the fix. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

14.x is a double edge sword. the frame pacing for crossfire with 14.x is a necessary.

how sensitive are you to stutter?

wermad

Feb 24, 2013
Wow, the odyssey continues. Seems like the 295x2 created a lot of buzz with four mini-display ports. I have couple of these on my future-upgrade list but the flaky drivers are at it again to really deter me from upgrading now. I finally wen't 14.x (14.4 whql) and its very inconsistent (running 3d Fanboy competition). Also the drivers crash when you boot into windows and recovers in a few seconds. I got done with the benches and went back to 13.2.

I'm also intrigued by the Ti 6GB models. Word on the grapevine has it Nvidia is holding back EVGA on releasing this beasty. My guess is to deplete Titan stock and to sell enough BE's to make some sort of justification for it (and the stupidly priced Z). Last I heard, some time in June probably. There's a good chance now that GM200 has been postponed again.

Thought about selling my five 1200 Dells but its still a very nice setup. Even after a clean driver install, performance went up a bit in games. For amd, age is a great thing as drivers will have matured enough to squash most issues.

Sorry I didn't reply to you via Steam. i was enjoying Bioshock Infinite @ 6000x1920 :D. I got to your message by the time you were offline :(.

So, as it stands, you're just waiting for the 4k Samsung? 4k tempting but Basha's 4k Surround thread really has me thinking of going back to the green team if the Ti 6gbs get released.

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
So, as it stands, you're just waiting for the 4k Samsung? 4k tempting but Basha's 4k Surround thread really has me thinking of going back to the green team if the Ti 6gbs get released.

if BF4 is one of your top games. the green team needs to sit out this round.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
Toms included this in a fairly recent article. It might be 14.4 or an unreleased one.
AMD also sent over a new beta driver late last week, which was supposed to be optimized for four-way CrossFire

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
KaRLiToS:

Check your PM. Just got the MO RA3 420 set up. Thanks for your sage advice. I sent you some photos. :awe::biggrin:

KaRLiToS

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2010
Got the 4k monitor today.

I can easily play 7680x1440 or play on the single 4k monitor in 3840x1440.

I'm very happy and don't have any issue. I didn't really have time to play today because I had so many things to do and I did the cable management for the new monitor.

The 4k monitor is just awsome, for those who can't see the difference between 4k and 1080 are blind because I see huge differences between 1440p and 2160p.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Got the 4k monitor today.

I can easily play 7680x1440 or play on the single 4k monitor in 3840x1440.

I'm very happy and don't have any issue. I didn't really have time to play today because I had so many things to do and I did the cable management for the new monitor.

The 4k monitor is just awsome, for those who can't see the difference between 4k and 1080 are blind because I see huge differences between 1440p and 2160p.

CONGRATS!!!!!! I'm happy for you. When you get time give us a peek at it!

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
finally fixed.

that confirmation is givin me the itch for 3 dell u3014.

btw. how does scale down 4k to 2560x1440 on the samsung look compare to native 2560x1440 on the catleap.

KaRLiToS

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2010
CONGRATS!!!!!! I'm happy for you. When you get time give us a peek at it!

Thanks man.

finally fixed.

that confirmation is givin me the itch for 3 dell u3014.

btw. how does scale down 4k to 2560x1440 on the samsung look compare to native 2560x1440 on the catleap.

We could say it's fixed, but I had to change my hardware to make it work.
I really like the 4k samsung monitor and it scale down to 2650x1440 pretty good, you only see a difference in the fonts, but appart of that, in games, it really looks fine.

CONS:
-Unmatching screen in the middle of my triple setup
-The 4k is a TN panel while my CrossOvers are IPS and glossy
-The 4k panel is a tiny bit bigger than the 27" CrossOvers

I really prefer the look of IPS honestly. The 4k is a matte panel, which I prefer less. Also, when I set two monitors at 1440p while the Samsung is set at 4k, the font looks all weird on the side panels

I'm happy the way my setup looks but I don't like to have mismatching monitors, it looks out of place.

Honestly, I would have prefer to have all my CrossOvers working like they were with my Quad 7970 or Tri 6970.

Overall satisfaction with the 2 x CrossOvers + 4k samsung versus my Triple CrossOvers = 6.4/10.

By the way, today I'm having a conference call with AMD, they want to speak with me

Agenda:
  • Introductions
  • Current status of the issue: DP Port, adapter(s), drivers, system configuration, etc.
  • Determine next steps
  • Open discussion

Honestly, at this point I'm just tired and indiferrent. I have put too much energy in that and I know I was VERY VERY patient, actually, I'm a very patient man. But my HUGE patience reached its limit.

I still accepted the conference.

Have a nice day everyone.

tulx

Jul 12, 2011
By the way, today I'm having a conference call with AMD, they want to speak with me

Having followed this thread since post one I'm quite astounded by the commitment on both your and AMD's side to solving the issue.

You've obviously invested sizeable amount of money in this and have shown admirable patience and resourcefulness. Though I'm just as much if not even more impressed by AMD's resolve. I work at a very large business software company and can without the shadow of a doubt say that they've gone far beyond anything that'd be even remotely financially justifiable in supporting the issue.
This is one of those very unfortunate cases where the affected customer base is statistically negligible and it just sucks to both parties. Most companies would've given you some coupon and basically said "tough luck" long ago, including the one I work for.

I'm glad you've at least found another workable setup, though I know too well that nothing but a full resolution to the actual issue will feel good enough.

I really hope AMD manages to work this out with you.

KaRLiToS

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2010
Having followed this thread since post one I'm quite astounded by the commitment on both your and AMD's side to solving the issue.

You've obviously invested sizeable amount of money in this and have shown admirable patience and resourcefulness. Though I'm just as much if not even more impressed by AMD's resolve. I work at a very large business software company and can without the shadow of a doubt say that they've gone far beyond anything that'd be even remotely financially justifiable in supporting the issue.
This is one of those very unfortunate cases where the affected customer base is statistically negligible and it just sucks to both parties. Most companies would've given you some coupon and basically said "tough luck" long ago, including the one I work for.

I'm glad you've at least found another workable setup, though I know too well that nothing but a full resolution to the actual issue will feel good enough.

I really hope AMD manages to work this out with you.

Maybe, but I never saw any sign of progress though. I would have been impressed if it got resolved

Maybe my thread is just PR for them. Write QuadFire 290x in google and this thread comes first.

Maybe they just said they tried but never did. (I shouldn't say that because Sam (warsam11) really helped me. That guy is truely awsome. )

Because 7 months after launch, DisplayPort adapters are still not working.

Anyway, I'm happy because my 7 months son is in perfect shape and health. I didn't have to troubleshoot him at all. He launched as advertised the same week as the R9 290x.

This is him stock clocks. No OC or overvolting. (His shoes are overclocked though)
20140501_131858_zps839627a8.jpg

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
This is him stock clocks. No OC or overvolting. (His shoes are overclocked though)
20140501_131858_zps839627a8.jpg

Word of advise as a father....You don't want to in any way OC the little guy.

Maybe AMD will send you a 295x2 for your troubles.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
KaRLiToS: He's GREAT! Wait until he is old enough to use a mouse! You're gonna lose that UBER rig to him!:biggrin:():)

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
We could say it's fixed, but I had to change my hardware to make it work.
I really like the 4k samsung monitor and it scale down to 2650x1440 pretty good, you only see a difference in the fonts, but appart of that, in games, it really looks fine.

CONS:
-Unmatching screen in the middle of my triple setup
-The 4k is a TN panel while my CrossOvers are IPS and glossy
-The 4k panel is a tiny bit bigger than the 27" CrossOvers

I really prefer the look of IPS honestly. The 4k is a matte panel, which I prefer less. Also, when I set two monitors at 1440p while the Samsung is set at 4k, the font looks all weird on the side panels

I'm happy the way my setup looks but I don't like to have mismatching monitors, it looks out of place.

Honestly, I would have prefer to have all my CrossOvers working like they were with my Quad 7970 or Tri 6970.

Overall satisfaction with the 2 x CrossOvers + 4k samsung versus my Triple CrossOvers = 6.4/10.

thanks for the honesty.

native resolution is best for quality viewing.
IPS is best for color n viewing angles.

have you considered any other 2560x1440 ips 27" with native display port? given all the efforts/patience you put into this. returning the samung for different monitor should not be too much more effort/patience. that should improve your overall satisfaction.

6.4 is just not enough to justify your pilgrimage.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I think the solution is to get 3 4K monitors, then everything would match. Game on 1 screen, do other stuff on the side ones.

KaRLiToS

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2010
thanks for the honesty.

native resolution is best for quality viewing.
IPS is best for color n viewing angles.

have you considered any other 2560x1440 ips 27" with native display port? given all the efforts/patience you put into this. returning the samung for different monitor should not be too much more effort/patience. that should improve your overall satisfaction.

6.4 is just not enough to justify your pilgrimage.

I just did a full day of gaming with this setup and my overall satisfaction went up to 9.2/10

There are much more PROs than CONs honestly..Duting game you can't notice that the panels are different.

I'm getting happier and happier.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
I just did a full day of gaming with this setup and my overall satisfaction went up to 9.2/10

There are much more PROs than CONs honestly..Duting game you can't notice that the panels are different.

I'm getting happier and happier.

Hope your conference call goes well. Please share with us what was discussed. Good luck.
I'm impressed by how much attention you got.

KaRLiToS

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2010
Hope your conference call goes well. Please share with us what was discussed. Good luck.
I'm impressed by how much attention you got.

I finally declined the call.

But it is true that AMD gave me good support. I received a mail from an engineer today and it seems that my system is very picky. Just like it was with my Quad HD 7970.

Hi Karl,

First I wanted to commend you on your gaming rig. It is “certified” as an EPIC rig by the team here.

I apologize that we aren’t able to provide a fix to your original problem at this time but it is something we are still investigating and we’ll follow up when the fix is completed.

As you have identified, the likely source of the problem is the dongle. While we do provide our customer guidance on these adapters/dongles, these products are manufactured by 3rd party manufacturers some of the issues are out of our control and can be difficult to isolate and address. The problem expedites itself as different monitors models react differently the dongles as well.

To be honest, we are still trying to reproduce your exact problem in-house. We have the details of your system and are attempting to reproducing your system as closely as possible but there is always some variability from system to system.

I’m glad that you are able to enjoy your setup with the your new 4K Samsung monitor. We have a couple of them in house in a 3x1 4K setup and everyone just stops to stare.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. We’re gamers, Computer tweakers, water cooling enthusiasts too, so we love to see the amazing builds you put together and enjoy when our customers get the same satisfaction we do about our products.

Best Regards,

[Engineer name]

Anyway, I should have bought a Native display port monitor in the begginning.

The more I play with my setup now the more I enjoy it. It's also very nice to be able to play many resolutions such as 1080p, 1440p, 2160p and triple 1440p.

I never thought I would see that much difference in sharpness between 1440p and 2160p.

Tomorrow I'll make a vid of the new setup and a gaming sequence.

King4x4

Jan 12, 2013
Game in eyefinity when a game supports it. Game in 4k when it doesn't.
Best of two worlds! Not to mention input lag is much lower on the sammy :p
Told ya you will love it karl!

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
The more I play with my setup now the more I enjoy it. It's also very nice to be able to play many resolutions such as 1080p, 1440p, 2160p and triple 1440p.

I never thought I would see that much difference in sharpness between 1440p and 2160p.

Tomorrow I'll make a vid of the new setup and a gaming sequence.

I had the same when I recently upgraded to 1920x1080 screen... [Jelly]

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
But it is true that AMD gave me good support. I received a mail from an engineer today and it seems that my system is very picky

That's really good from a company to follow up with this personalized msgs. Happy that you now can enjoy your ubber rig. Can't wait to see the video.