PS3 sale forecast cut by 6 millions!!!! SONY CEO still think it's too cheap

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: joshsquall
Just wait until more games come out. PS3 doesn't have the killer app yet to sell millions of systems. The 360 didn't either when it launched. Hell, the 360 just really got it's first one - Gears of War. The PS3's will probably be Devil May Cry 4 or Final Fantasy XIII.

FFXIII is a LONG way out. For NA, probably at least a year and a half if not longer.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: purbeast0

lol ... you asked what other buttons are pressed with the left hand, and I told you.

and the point Thraxen is making is that holding the analog with an index finger and a thumb completely changes your grip on the controller.

just admit it, using your thumb to aim is too tough for you so you just complain about it's bad design.

yes, it completely changes your grip, which wouldn't matter with proper design. unfortunately, the analog sticks on the playstation were an afterthought.

i can aim just fine, thank you. it's still more accurate when held properly.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJ
Originally posted by: joshsquall
Just wait until more games come out. PS3 doesn't have the killer app yet to sell millions of systems. The 360 didn't either when it launched. Hell, the 360 just really got it's first one - Gears of War. The PS3's will probably be Devil May Cry 4 or Final Fantasy XIII.

FFXIII is a LONG way out. For NA, probably at least a year and a half if not longer.

Yep. Gamestop/EB Games is showing a December release date for FFXIII right now. I would not be surprised to see that slip into Spring/Summer '08.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
hmm not a shock the PS3 is doing bad. the price is going to keep people out until some great games come along.

$600+ (for wires, controllers etC) is just to much for me to risk on something that has no good games out right now. I was willing to take the chance on the Wii since it was a lot cheaper and i knew there was a few games out i wanted.just wish they would get some new games out heh.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy
hmm not a shock the PS3 is doing bad. the price is going to keep people out until a lot of great games come along.
fixed. the gamecube had 'some' great games, and they only sold 20 million of those, at $200 and under.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: waggy
hmm not a shock the PS3 is doing bad. the price is going to keep people out until a lot of great games come along.
fixed. the gamecube had 'some' great games, and they only sold 20 million of those, at $200 and under.

I think if the PS3 comes out wiht 4-6 blockbuster games it will start to sell a LOT better. The fanbois need something to justify the cost. right now blu-ray is not enough.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: NuroMancer
Originally posted by: funboy42
Its the damn cost, dump blu-ray and put a dvd player in it, fix the PS2 backward compatibility with it, sell it for $299 and I will buy it before the Wii and a X360.
Plain and simple. I can play my library of PS2 games on it while I wait for more games for the PS3. I wont buy the X360 for the problems its having right now with heat, lock ups, and rings of death out of nowhere, so if they would fix the above mentioned Id buy the PS3 over the other two right away.

And if not too much put back in the rumble feature and ditch the stupid motion crap I will never use.

Most people as far as I know arn't having that kind of trouble with their 360's anymore...

Also, why would you buy a PS3 now to play PS2 games on it?

Seriously, save your money, and buy it if/when it has decent games.....

Because right now I have a ps2, xbox, 3do, gc, and dc all on my desk. I dont want to have to add yet another one on there. When I get the Wii I can ditch the gc because the Wii will play all my gc games, I would like to have the PS3 play all my PS2 games so I dont have to keep the PS2 out. I like all my PS2 and GC games but I dont like all the clutter, and to add more systems to the clutter is stupid and to put away my ps2 because I got a ps3 is stupid because I like to play, and my kids like to play still alot of the ps2 games.

It was great when the ps2 came out because I owned alot of ps1 games and I didnt have to keep it out when I got my ps2. I dont play the ps1 games anymore so it playsing the ps2 games for a few more years to me is HUGE deal for me for I can play all my games, put away the ps2, and play all the ps3 games when I start adding them to my collection.

I refuse to give up guitar hero 1 & 2 any time soon or my hot shots golf games, pretty much the only real reason I will buy a ps3.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Its the damn cost, dump blu-ray and put a dvd player in it, fix the PS2 backward compatibility with it, sell it for $299 and I will buy it before the Wii and a X360.
Plain and simple. I can play my library of PS2 games on it while I wait for more games for the PS3. I wont buy the X360 for the problems its having right now with heat, lock ups, and rings of death out of nowhere, so if they would fix the above mentioned Id buy the PS3 over the other two right away.

And if not too much put back in the rumble feature and ditch the stupid motion crap I will never use.

Most people as far as I know arn't having that kind of trouble with their 360's anymore...

Because right now I have a ps2, xbox, 3do, gc, and dc all on my desk. I dont want to have to add yet another one on there. When I get the Wii I can ditch the gc because the Wii will play all my gc games, I would like to have the PS3 play all my PS2 games so I dont have to keep the PS2 out. I like all my PS2 and GC games but I dont like all the clutter, and to add more systems to the clutter is stupid and to put away my ps2 because I got a ps3 is stupid because I like to play, and my kids like to play still alot of the ps2 games.

It was great when the ps2 came out because I owned alot of ps1 games and I didnt have to keep it out when I got my ps2. I dont play the ps1 games anymore so it playsing the ps2 games for a few more years to me is HUGE deal for me for I can play all my games, put away the ps2, and play all the ps3 games when I start adding them to my collection.

I refuse to give up guitar hero 1 & 2 any time soon or my hot shots golf games, pretty much the only real reason I will buy a ps3.

you do know that ps2 games on the ps3 look like absolute crap, right?

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

I find it funny that PC gamers always use that same excuse about not having a mouse/keyboard, when all it is really saying is they can't adjust to using a controller because it's harder to use.

You bash one generalization and make a completely different one. Only way to solve the argument would be to find a console game that takes KB/M and do comparison. Or, take a fully supported game pad/stick on the PC and compare it to KB/M. Personally, thumbs suck for precision and you are much better able to control with the hand in general. I think KBM would win.

PimpJuice

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2005
Originally posted by: DLeRium
At 499, 599, I think it would be ridiculous. If you want true gaming, game on a PC. If you want to play fun games with 4 ppl, do it on a Wii. That's why I like the Gamecube. You don't play freaking mario kart or mario party or smash bros on a computer. Halo and stuff like that deserve to be played with a mouse and keyboard. If you're anywhere near serious about FPSes, you would be one of those hardcore CSers. But who on consoles are really hardcore anyways? You can still casually multiplayer in FPSes on your computer...

not everybody likes to sit in front of a computer 24/7. I do that at work. When I go home, I like to sit on the couch with my friends and frag away.

You cant casually play on the computer without having nonstop cheaters and paying ridiculous prices to keep up with the hardware needed. Thanks but no thanks.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: randay

you do know that ps2 games on the ps3 look like absolute crap in 480p, right?

fixed.

they don't even upscale the resolution of ps2 games so I don't see how it would make a difference.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: LegendKiller

I find it funny that PC gamers always use that same excuse about not having a mouse/keyboard, when all it is really saying is they can't adjust to using a controller because it's harder to use.

You bash one generalization and make a completely different one. Only way to solve the argument would be to find a console game that takes KB/M and do comparison. Or, take a fully supported game pad/stick on the PC and compare it to KB/M. Personally, thumbs suck for precision and you are much better able to control with the hand in general. I think KBM would win.

I think IGN did this with Quake on the Dreamcast a long time ago.

Shadowrun will be coming out soon for the 360 and the PC. They'll be able to play against each other so we'll see then.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: LegendKiller

irony at it's best :)

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006

fixed.

they don't even upscale the resolution of ps2 games so I don't see how it would make a difference.

you are misinformed.

NuroMancer

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2004

While I see your point, mine is, right now there arn't really any games worth buying a ps3 for so keep your money earning interest. When it has some decent titles you can pick it up to replace your ps2.

Also, dont forget, not all ps2 games work on the ps3. I can't remember the # but it was quite a few.

And like purbeast mentioned, your ps2 games on your ps3 will look like crap, you may want to consider keeping that ps2 :p.

NuroMancer

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2004

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

fixed.

you are misinformed.

link me to the correct information then, cause i've read all over it doesn't upscale anything, and that playing ps2 games over the hdmi cable looks awful, and even saw the video comparing normal ps2 to the hdmi ps3 one.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: jagec
They just need to go crawling over to Square-Enix and beg them to do a remake of FFVII, with updated graphics. Suddenly lots of people would buy the PS3.

Better yet, come out with a real sequel to FFVII. Then even I would buy a PS3.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

fixed.

you are misinformed.

I believe you are misinformed.
See

Even Sony says so. Kinda

Yah that's what I thought and had heard. Looks like randay is the misinformed one this time around :p

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006

fixed.

you are misinformed.

link me to the correct information then, cause i've read all over it doesn't upscale anything, and that playing ps2 games over the hdmi cable looks awful, and even saw the video comparing normal ps2 to the hdmi ps3 one.

I have personally experienced the awfulness over hdmi and component cables. The game was ff12, over hdmi and component it displayed at 480p, it was obvious that this was the problem because you can plainly see that the ugliness is caused by extra horizontal lines and also because my TV told me that the source was 480p. Playing over composite at 480i fixes it and makes it look normal like it should look. Unfortunately I couldnt get it to play at 480i over hdmi or component. Would be nice to see a fix for that, but it is possible to play ps2 games and have them look just fine on a ps3.

igowerf

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
Originally posted by: bennylong
Nomura cut its target for PS3 game units shipped during the period to 4.5 million from 6 million, citing poor sales over the holiday season in North America.

LMAO ... that's hilarious, considering the PS3 was completely sold out and nowhere to be found in stores at any time before xmas.

Yeah, because they were sitting, unsold on eBay.

w3stfa11

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2006
Originally posted by: fanerman91
Yay! The PS3 sucks! Let's all feel better about ourselves by bashing the evil $ony corporation's failure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds good to me. :p