PS3 sale forecast cut by 6 millions!!!! SONY CEO still think it's too cheap

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: bennylong

Sony will never admit their mistake. You have to remember they are Japanese.

Never admitting you're wrong isn't a Japanese trait. It's a corporate one.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
if i'll ever buy a PS3, it is going to solely be so that sony losses money. yeah so many people have $600 to spend on a game console! and the PS3 doesn't have enough games out. i think it will die. sony just did every possible thing wrong with this launch.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: ForumMaster
if i'll ever buy a PS3, it is going to solely be so that sony losses money. yeah so many people have $600 to spend on a game console! and the PS3 doesn't have enough games out. i think it will die. sony just did every possible thing wrong with this launch.

So you're going to take a $600+tax hit so that Sony loses what, $200-$300 more dollars? Smart thinking.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
if you go back to the ps2 launch it was a LONG time before you saw them on the shelves even with a very weak lineup of launch titles.
the difference is $299 vs $499-$599.
Were Sony to have released a $299 "core" and a $399 "premium" you wouldn't see any on the shelves.

like the neo geo and 3d0 before north of $500 spells disaster, doubly so when there are better buys for significantly less money.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: BigJ
Originally posted by: ForumMaster

So you're going to take a $600+tax hit so that Sony loses what, $200-$300 more dollars? Smart thinking.

Word. Something's wrong with your plan when I can screw them out of twice as much money by doing nothing.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark

Sony will never admit their mistake. You have to remember they are Japanese.

Never admitting you're wrong isn't a Japanese trait. It's a corporate one.
:confused:

No, I think its probably a Japanese trait (granted it can easily apply to many other nations).

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Originally spewed from the piehole of: some goddamn "market analyst"
brand strength
Playstation brand
power of the brand
branding branding branding

:p

- M4H

It's unlikely that it came from the analysts piehole...

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: hongkongfever
Half Life Developer say the PS3 is an utter piece of crap to make games on:

Speaking recently to Game Informer, development studio Valve's, co-founder Gabe Newell discussed the next generation efforts from Sony and Nintendo. However, one machine came out with a large dent on its reputation.

The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think It's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted. I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a "do over". Just say, "This was a horrible disaster and we're sorry and we're going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it".

Wasn't the same thing said about the PS2 from some popular developers as well? But we all know how that went...

I think it's okay to not have that many great launch games because as history has shown, it usually takes a new system at least a year to really get started. But the PS3 also has a huge price tag so people are more inclined to just wait it out all together instead of buying now. Give it a year when all the big name games come out and I think the PS3 will do just fine.

BS, shens, whatever...

Playstation 2 had a comparatively high price tag when it was released, but it also had Tekken Tag Tournament, Gran Turismo, and SSX to name a few as launch titles. The controllers and memory cards were all $35 each at launch too, but at least you could use your old controllers and memory cards for PS1 games. The inclusion of a DVD player was a nice bonus too at the time and everyone with a standard definition TV could get better picture quality. The PS2 also gave you enhanced load times and better graphics for your older PS1 games.

Fast forward to Playstation 3. There are no exclusive games except Resistance, which is a mediocre FPS, none of the old controllers or memory cards work with the new system (don't even get me started about charging $30 for a freakin' cable to get the gamesaves on the hard drive), several of the most popular games and their controllers (Guitar Hero and DDR anyone?) don't work with the new hardware. Also many PS2 and PS1 games have graphical glitches and all of them render worse looking on the next-gen hardware as compared to a PS2 rendering them. Finally, the Blu-Ray player is not the de-facto next generation HD format and the good majority of people don't have 1080p displays anyway.

Even if you have the $500 or $600 you could spend on this console, Sony really doesn't give you many reasons to want to spend your money on this console.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Nomura cut its target for PS3 game units shipped during the period to 4.5 million from 6 million, citing poor sales over the holiday season in North America.

LMAO ... that's hilarious, considering the PS3 was completely sold out and nowhere to be found in stores at any time before xmas.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: purbeast0
Nomura cut its target for PS3 game units shipped during the period to 4.5 million from 6 million, citing poor sales over the holiday season in North America.

LMAO ... that's hilarious, considering the PS3 was completely sold out and nowhere to be found in stores at any time before xmas.

True. Poor sales due to what? Lack of supply?

Jan 31, 2002

No so locally :confused:

- M4H

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire

No so locally :confused:

- M4H

no so whaaaaaaaaa? :confused:

NissanGurl

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2003

I bought my bro a PS3 off the shelf of the local best buy the day before Christmas Eve (and they had a bunch more just sitting).

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

I don't know where you live, but come Christmas time, our local BB and Targets had tons of PS3s on the shelves...still do.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: NFS4

I don't know where you live, but come Christmas time, our local BB and Targets had tons of PS3s on the shelves...still do.

I live in Maryland and PS3's were nowhere to be found until a week or two after xmas. Now is a different story though ...

maximus maximus

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2004
Originally posted by: herkulease
you need to do some reading man.

An analyst group cut the ps3 sale forecast, NOT Sony.

And you're going to trust SONY? Oh boy...

You didn't buy Betamax and the Mini disc, did you?

dude... why did u change ur avatar?

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: DLeRium
At 499, 599, I think it would be ridiculous. If you want true gaming, game on a PC. If you want to play fun games with 4 ppl, do it on a Wii. That's why I like the Gamecube. You don't play freaking mario kart or mario party or smash bros on a computer. Halo and stuff like that deserve to be played with a mouse and keyboard. If you're anywhere near serious about FPSes, you would be one of those hardcore CSers. But who on consoles are really hardcore anyways? You can still casually multiplayer in FPSes on your computer...

I'm surprised the console gamers here let this drivel pass uncontested.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: mugs
I'm generally the kind of person who does not spend a lot on games - most of my games have been bought used for < $20. But even I own 5 games for my Wii. Rayman is incredibly fun. Trauma Center is very good. Anyone who thinks Zelda and Wii Sports are the only good games for the Wii doesn't know much about the Wii.

I would say more the type of games wii has right now are not just for them. It still feels more like a party/gathering system to me. Not that it's a bad thing. Rayman with my obsessed friend was a huge blast. I got the game as a gift and we played at her place after Christmas for 8-9 hrs (3 of which were Rayman). We finished off Rayman this past weekend. Some of the minigames are insanely hard though (for getting points). And Cyndi Lauper is stuck in my head.. haha

But basically, Zelda is the only single player game now that has the big appeal now. COD3/Red Steele have had very mixed opinions (I have both for the record, COD3 is alright, and Red Steele.. haven't not played, just got it for $30 this week).

So I can see where a lot of gamers may not see any wii appeal. Mostly because nintendo isn't exactly marketing towards them entirely.

I'm still a bit weary on future titles. The only thing on the radar for me personally is metroid (hopefully it won't suck, I hated the DS controls) and super smash brothers. Maybe mario, but I don't enjoy Mario64 too much even after trying it out again on the VC.

I'm also not saying it hasn't been worth it, as it has, but I hope more developers jump in and try to create some unique (and if at all possible, cheaper) games. Elebits for example looked interesting, but not $50 interesting. And monkey ball felt too rushed (I bought it for the minigames). I'm thinking of tossing it in the for sale forum.

Serp86

Oct 12, 2002
seeing as there is a surplus of ps3 in usa and japan, why the heck dont they just go ahead for an early european release?

oh - an yeah - this christmas i got a ps2 - found one used with a HUGE library of great games for $200. However i am greatly interested in the upcoming ps3 titles, and would like to see them sooner.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Thraxen
Originally posted by: DLeRium
At 499, 599, I think it would be ridiculous. If you want true gaming, game on a PC. If you want to play fun games with 4 ppl, do it on a Wii. That's why I like the Gamecube. You don't play freaking mario kart or mario party or smash bros on a computer. Halo and stuff like that deserve to be played with a mouse and keyboard. If you're anywhere near serious about FPSes, you would be one of those hardcore CSers. But who on consoles are really hardcore anyways? You can still casually multiplayer in FPSes on your computer...

I'm surprised the console gamers here let this drivel pass uncontested.

It's pointless. The majority of PC gamers are elitists, whereas console gamers just don't care about PC gamers. However PC gamers don't understand that fact and will continue to bash consoles.