Professional Sports

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: torpid
Originally posted by: alkemyst
I just want to be clear... watching sporting events, an activity predominantly done by adults for thousands of years, is more pathetic than playing video games, an activity predominantly done by children?

Video games have moved into the adult realm for about the last decade more and more.

Especially with things like the Wii.

Well I don't have statistics available but I'm willing to wager that the average age is still pretty low. The last time I played UT online it was like a pimply teenaged sausagefest.

Looks like many sources say 28. Wow, that means that 28 year olds still act like pimply teenaged morons when playing video games. I can't decide if that's better or worse than the testosterone crazed ragers who watch too many sports.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
I just want to be clear... watching sporting events, an activity predominantly done by adults for thousands of years, is more pathetic than playing video games, an activity predominantly done by children?

Video games have moved into the adult realm for about the last decade more and more.

Well I don't have statistics available but I'm willing to wager that the average age is still pretty low. The last time I played UT online it was like a pimply teenaged sausagefest.

Looks like many sources say 28. Wow, that means that 28 year olds still act like pimply teenaged morons when playing video games. I can't decide if that's better or worse than the testosterone crazed ragers who watch too many sports.

what about the people that do both?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Beev
Originally posted by: Drakkon
Its funny how sports like NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, soccer, F1, Nascar, etc all have athletes that earn outrageous amounts of salaries and contract tons of money completely not based on their performance. They can do absolutely awful and yet earn millions year after year.
Then you have a sport like horse racing. A jockey only earns as much as good as he is. If he doesn't win or do well he doesn't get paid except a riding rate (usually a very small fraction of winning $ - I know our jockey doesnt get more than $20 a race if he losses badly)- plain and simple. I don't get how we got down this path with 'professional' sports paying for non-performance while horse racing seems to be the only sport that actually rewards performance.

^this^ is, in essence, what I was getting at.

how is that surprising?

how much money does the NFL bring in compared to whatever the Professional Jockey league is?

also how much easier/cheaper is football to get into than becoming a jockey?

oznerol

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2002
www.lorenzoisawesome.com

Actually, the majority of these statistics have a very loose interpretation of games - including online flash games, minesweeper, solitaire, cell phone games, etc. My grandfather bought a new PC and all he does is play solitaire on it all day. My mom loves to play Freecell. I am sure they are not alone in this.

The majority of console gamers are still teenagers, and there's a general dropoff around 18 -19 years old, typically once college starts.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Wow this thread degraded quickly.

I thought it was funny that some douche bag decided to attack my screen name and couldn't even spell it right. I'll have a Big Mac, no pickles, now get to it you little worthless shite.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Anubis

Like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?

Randum

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2004
There are plenty of athletes ready to replace the lowlifes that play currently beating their wives, dogfitting rings, and getting caught with weapons and dealing drugs. What about the asshole who drives his 300k car off the road and then runs away??? Hes a professional dumbass is what he is.

The truth is, pro sports is mainly a political game and people with money now moving players about to increase their income. There is no "for the love of the game" anymore.

And the people who are sports fans, more power to you. But don't tell me that being a sports fan is more important than enjoying any other hobby.

What you like/dislike is your own business. Its hard to be an athlete but theres a reason sports in the US were dominated by the lower class americans in the start of professional sports. Its because sports didnt require as much learning or education
"Take the ball, run down the field" or "shoot it in the hoop" and you used basic human skills kids can learn. You see six year olds playing baseball, but you don't see them practicing law or performing surgery. It doesnt take an intelligent person to be a good football player or basketball player. but I prefer to play rather than watch...just me.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

well, im not pimply faced nor am i a testosterone crazed rager

i do however play video games and watch sports
im 26

MixMasterTang

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
Its funny how sports like NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, soccer, F1, Nascar, etc all have athletes that earn outrageous amounts of salaries and contract tons of money completely not based on their performance. They can do absolutely awful and yet earn millions year after year.
Then you have a sport like horse racing. A jockey only earns as much as good as he is. If he doesn't win or do well he doesn't get paid except a riding rate (usually a very small fraction of winning $ - I know our jockey doesnt get more than $20 a race if he losses badly)- plain and simple. I don't get how we got down this path with 'professional' sports paying for non-performance while horse racing seems to be the only sport that actually rewards performance.

I read every one of your posts and I did not see anything REMOTELY related to what Drakkon said, so how exactly "in essence" was that what you were getting at?

oznerol

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2002
www.lorenzoisawesome.com
Originally posted by: purbeast0

how is that surprising?

how much money does the NFL bring in compared to whatever the Professional Jockey league is?

That's about it. People typically get paid relative to the rest of the market.

A big sports league takes in a massive amount of money - it is a huge industry and as such, can afford to compensate its employees. The player unions make sure the market value for top-performing players is as high as possible, and also maintain a minimum wage - in the NFL it's something like $250,000 I believe - to keep the league administration from essentially robbing players.

Basically, there's a lot of money to go around, and players generally get paid what they are worth - relative to the market. This is why a 3rd-string QB can never even see playing time and still make a 7-figure salary. It is, however, nowhere near as much as an elite QB is making. So, players do get paid for performing well, it's just that the scales are so much different since there's just that much money to go around.

oznerol

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2002
www.lorenzoisawesome.com

im 26

Ironically, I am both pimply faced, and a testosterone crazed rager, yet I don't play sports or video games (I prefer to whittle).

Shlong

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2002
Originally posted by: MixMasterTang

I read every one of your posts and I did not see anything REMOTELY related to what Drakkon said, so how exactly "in essence" was that what you were getting at?

To cover his tracks? :D

Anyways getting back on topic... yeah sports is pure entertainment value. Not everyone is interested in computers & technology, yet we have a lot of people here posting with similar interests. Reading about the latest cpu or the roadmap of Intel is entertaining for some. Sports, is very entertaining & it also brings in big time money. As for being paid on performance, there's CEO's who are making their companies lose billions yet being compensated greatly... however in terms of athletes, if they're underperforming they'll at least bring in revenue by bringing in fans or interest to the team.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003

im 26

Yeah but do you watch TOO MANY sports or ACT like a pimply teenager?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
the other night, my friends were talking about how they had great seats for some game, and I was all like, "well, I got awesome seats for the spice girls concert!"

they looked at me as I slowly bowed my head in shame and quietly backed out of the room.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
The NFL has lost me as a fan. The Broncos have huge problems with their players. drugs, dui's getting killed.... i just have no interest in watching thugs play. baseball and hockey is what i watch now.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Citrix
The NFL has lost me as a fan. The Broncos have huge problems with their players. drugs, dui's getting killed.... i just have no interest in watching thugs play. baseball and hockey is what i watch now.

European football is pretty friggen good, too.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

im 26

Yeah but do you watch TOO MANY sports or ACT like a pimply teenager?

no

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001

how is that surprising?

umm...you do realize horse racing brings in close to that of the NFL - on any given day the horse racing industry has money handled in the 100's of millions not counting the big race days (derbys, cups) where it can easily reach 1 billion for a single track. Some estimates put it near the trillion$ mark worldwide over any given year. The NFL only operates a few months out of the year and is on the order of 15-20 $billion annually. The total made off merchandising and the like in the long run might equal out but I'd bet that they are close.

I don't know who you were implying is easier. I can become a jockey tomorrow - all I have to pass is a riding test and get a mount at some small time tracks which isn't that hard. However when you look at the jockeys for the major races (Kentucky derby, breeders cup) theres only a select maybe 20-30 that ever make it to that level each year and that kind of money and they do so through their performance but they still have to ride into their 40-50's because they ride for money and dont have it automatically paid out to them.

Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: ducci
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but watching sports is 100% completely pathetic. Chances are, someone on either team is cheating, so why watch it? You aren't watching a "good" game. You're watching some shitty steroid pumped, low IQ idiot throw/bounce a ball.

While it's not always feasible, go out and actually play the sport yourself. Have some fun with friends. Maybe you'd lose a little weight too. If you watch sports occasionally, when nothing else is on, then that's dandy. But all of the idiots out there who buy team dolls, wallpapers, plushies, jerseys, and paint their faces and go to every single god damn game?: Grow the hell up.

Pathetic? Man, you have a link to your TF2 stats in your signature. Hell, you post in a TF2 forum.

If you're going to be a massive douchebag, at least try to cover your tracks.

ahahahaha pwnd

Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
I don't do this a lot but ha this is great. OWNED!

Switching the words in a previous post is all it takes to impress you? That's actually fairly impressive in itself...

yea, but i'm just a pathetic idiot that watches sports, so what do i know.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

how is that surprising?

umm...you do realize horse racing brings in close to that of the NFL - on any given day the horse racing industry has money handled in the 100's of millions not counting the big race days (derbys, cups) where it can easily reach 1 billion for a single track. Some estimates put it near the trillion$ mark worldwide over any given year. The NFL only operates a few months out of the year and is on the order of 15-20 $billion annually. The total made off merchandising and the like in the long run might equal out but I'd bet that they are close.

I don't know who you were implying is easier. I can become a jockey tomorrow - all I have to pass is a riding test and get a mount at some small time tracks which isn't that hard. However when you look at the jockeys for the major races (Kentucky derby, breeders cup) theres only a select maybe 20-30 that ever make it to that level each year and that kind of money and they do so through their performance but they still have to ride into their 40-50's because they ride for money and dont have it automatically paid out to them.

If you include the wagering of NFL games via Vegas and illegally, it would blow horse racing out the door.

Apr 17, 2005

incorrect, guaranteed contracts are on a decline. a players money and fame is directly based on how well and how hard he plays. so no, they can't do awful and get absurds amounts of money.

and a contract in sports is like any other contract, people see what you're bringing to the table and they pay you what they think you're worth.

Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Randum
There are plenty of athletes ready to replace the lowlifes that play currently beating their wives, dogfitting rings, and getting caught with weapons and dealing drugs. What about the asshole who drives his 300k car off the road and then runs away??? Hes a professional dumbass is what he is.

The truth is, pro sports is mainly a political game and people with money now moving players about to increase their income. There is no "for the love of the game" anymore.

And the people who are sports fans, more power to you. But don't tell me that being a sports fan is more important than enjoying any other hobby.

What you like/dislike is your own business. Its hard to be an athlete but theres a reason sports in the US were dominated by the lower class americans in the start of professional sports. Its because sports didnt require as much learning or education
"Take the ball, run down the field" or "shoot it in the hoop" and you used basic human skills kids can learn. You see six year olds playing baseball, but you don't see them practicing law or performing surgery. It doesnt take an intelligent person to be a good football player or basketball player. but I prefer to play rather than watch...just me.

who the fuck said that?

also if you think that all players only play for money then you need to watch more sports. kthxbye.