Professional Sports

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: manowar821
Originally posted by: tfcmasta97
lol this post from someone named pale riders. quit the sports and huddle in the basement for some mad DnD

LOL HE DOESN'T LIKE SPORTS HE'S SO GHEEYYY

You're like, one of those retarded beer belly tailgaters, aren't you?

You pissed off someone made fun of your dungeon master :confused:

U bettar shut teh fuk up, or I'll cast sum lvl 19 silence on ur ass. LOL MAGEPWND

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
sports are something that people live for. they are things that people want to do 24/7 because it makes them feel happy.

feeling happy and good about yourself is probably the best thing one can do for themselves, and sports is an outlet. whether it's playing the sport, watching it, or playing a video game of the sport, they are all fun things to do.

and people look up to these professional athletes because they too themselves are/were probably athletes and understand just how much talent/skill it takes to play on the levels of professional athletes.

considering how much $$ is made because of professional sports and how much entertainment is gotten from it, I think they do deserve the money they are paid, no questions asked.

michaelsslave

Sep 17, 2007
Originally posted by: TheSlamma
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
The Cheatriots broke the camels back for me with the NFL this year.
That's because you're a highly sensitive and delicate Nancy:roll:
Actually it's because I hate what cheating does for the sport. It's too bad we can't meet face to face for you to call me a Nancy :)

if you think the pats are the only ones who cheat/try to cheat in the nfl, then your in denial big time

michaelsslave

Sep 17, 2007
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
The Cheatriots broke the camels back for me with the NFL this year.
That's because you're a highly sensitive and delicate Nancy:roll:
Actually it's because I hate what cheating does for the sport. It's too bad we can't meet face to face for you to call me a Nancy :)

Looks like you're done with all sports. If you knew what actually goes on behind the scenes of any competitive sport, you'd cry and pout.
Explain to me cheating in the NHL and how it impacts the sport.

Steriods, HGH, illegal hockey sticks/blades, illegal sized goalie pads, etc...
I have serious doubts that Yzerman, Gretzky, Sakic and Naslund ever juiced. If they did they prolly were sold vegtable oil cause they sure arent very big. Infact almost every single great hockey player isn't really that big, maybe Hull but I don't see that he did either. That being said I don't know what benefit it gives in the sport.
taking steroids != getting big

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: chuckywang
Originally posted by: Pale Rider
Why do we feel the need to pay money to watch millionaires throw a ball around?

I was thinking about this as I read the Pacman NFL thread.

Every year these guys get worse and worse. I've decided I can't watch anymore. Spitting on fans, attacking fans, endless cheating, betting against their own games, throwing games, endless illegal activities off the playing field, no respect for the fans that pay their salaries.

I'm not saying everyone should quit watching pro sports, but for me enough is enough. It seems the professionalism left long ago.

I agree for the NFL.

add the NBA to that.

teclis1023

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2007
I watch FIS Alpine Skiing. Sometimes I watch NPPL or XBALL paintball, but unfortunately the sport is so riddled with cheaters and whiners that it's often not worth it.

Honestly, I wish Lacrosse was more of a national sport. I'd watch that probably weekly.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
jesus people, it is called supply and demand......

All you sports haters, what is your entertainment? One of the things that entertains me is football. College and Pro......

Providing entertainment to the masses is helping society. People need to think about other things than their day to day job.....

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
pro soccer players are a bunch of p*ssies. they refuse to play a physical game and dive at every opportunity. it brings such great shame to a sport i love so much.

stop watching the italians and start watching the germans, spanish and portugest, they play a much more physicial game

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Those who mention steroids & HGH, was just recently revealed that one player, Paul Byrd, purchased over a thousand doses of HGH within I think 2 year time span! That's crazy.

But more to the original point of the article, THAT'S BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT PEOPLE WATCH! Everyone, raise your hand if you watched the Spurs playoff and championship games? Hardly anyone? That's what I though. Everyone, raise your hand if you watched the Rockies playoff and coming World Series games? Oh, I see plenty of hands, that's not because they're playing the historic Red Sox and their $150m payroll, is it? "Good guys" don't make it in sports. Everyone will pay to see a great player with a bad attitude, over a bad player with a great attitude.

And yes, the salaries have definitely widened the gap between players and fans, there is no excuse for being paid millions and not performing. Absolutely no love lost from fans when they boo players.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Have fun watching the O channel or Antique Roadshow or whatever else it is you'll be doing when we're watching the Superbowl.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but watching sports is 100% completely pathetic. Chances are, someone on either team is cheating, so why watch it? You aren't watching a "good" game. You're watching some shitty steroid pumped, low IQ idiot throw/bounce a ball.

While it's not always feasible, go out and actually play the sport yourself. Have some fun with friends. Maybe you'd lose a little weight too. If you watch sports occasionally, when nothing else is on, then that's dandy. But all of the idiots out there who buy team dolls, wallpapers, plushies, jerseys, and paint their faces and go to every single god damn game?: Grow the hell up.

oznerol

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2002
www.lorenzoisawesome.com
Originally posted by: Beev
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but watching sports is 100% completely pathetic. Chances are, someone on either team is cheating, so why watch it? You aren't watching a "good" game. You're watching some shitty steroid pumped, low IQ idiot throw/bounce a ball.

While it's not always feasible, go out and actually play the sport yourself. Have some fun with friends. Maybe you'd lose a little weight too. If you watch sports occasionally, when nothing else is on, then that's dandy. But all of the idiots out there who buy team dolls, wallpapers, plushies, jerseys, and paint their faces and go to every single god damn game?: Grow the hell up.

Pathetic? Man, you have a link to your TF2 stats in your signature. Hell, you post in a TF2 forum.

If you're going to be a massive douchebag, at least try to cover your tracks.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Originally posted by: ducci
Pathetic? Man, you have a link to your TF2 stats in your signature. Hell, you post in a TF2 forum.

Where did I mention anything about forums in my post?

See, I knew this would happen, some fucktard would bring up video games, and it only took one reply.

Posting on a football forum is great, if it's about the sport and not the NFL, etc. I even agree with the concept of fantasy football to an extent.

If you're going to be a massive douchebag, at least try to not be a moron for the duration you write your posts.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
baseball - $20 per seat (low end), 55k people (max), 81 home games a year. That's a lot of income, even before merchandise. Pay the players who are helping you with that income.

oznerol

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2002
www.lorenzoisawesome.com

See, I knew this would happen, some fucktard would bring up video games, and it only took one reply.

Posting on a football forum is great, if it's about the sport and not the NFL, etc. I even agree with the concept of fantasy football to an extent.

If you're going to be a massive douchebag, at least try to not be a moron for the duration you write your posts.

Actually, I was commenting on you being a pretentious prick, calling people who watch sports "100% pathetic." Also subtly suggesting people who do so require physical activity to lose weight.

It's a hobby. It is entertainment. And it greatly parallels how you like video games.

For example, everything you said about sports being pathetic, I could direct towards TF2 and it would be exactly the same.

Moral of the story - stop being such a douchebag.

Actually, let's try it:

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but playing TF2 is 100% completely pathetic. Chances are, someone on either team is cheating, so why play it? You aren't playing a "good" game. You're playing with some shitty pimple-faced, 12 year old idiot clicking a mouse.

While it's not always feasible, go out and actually play the game yourself. Have some fun with friends. Maybe you'd lose a little weight too. If you play TF2 occasionally, when nothing else is on, then that's dandy. But all of the idiots out there who post in TF2 forums, care about TF2 stats, don't move out of their parents' basement?: Grow the hell up.

Being a douchebag is easy.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Pale Rider
Why do we feel the need to pay money to watch millionaires throw a ball around?

I was thinking about this as I read the Pacman NFL thread.

Every year these guys get worse and worse. I've decided I can't watch anymore. Spitting on fans, attacking fans, endless cheating, betting against their own games, throwing games, endless illegal activities off the playing field, no respect for the fans that pay their salaries.

I'm not saying everyone should quit watching pro sports, but for me enough is enough. It seems the professionalism left long ago.

Some, but not all, of my reasons for watching professional sports:

Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburg Steelers, San Francisco 49ners, and Boston Patriots superbowl winning teams

Michael Jordon et al and the Chicago Bulls

Walter Payton, Jim McMahon, Mike Singletary, the Fridge, Mike Ditkas and the 1985 Bears

Bill Russel, Larry Bird and the Celtics

Chamberlain, Jerry West, Magic Johnson, Jubbar, Kobe Bryan, and Shaquille O'Neal and the LA Lakers

The Celtic and Laker games during the last three decades of the 20th Century

Sonny Jurgenson, George Allen, Joe Gibbs, Larry Brown, The Diesel, The Hogs, Doug Williams (and the XXII
Superbowl), and the Washington Redskins

Muhammad Ali

Muhammad Ali and George Frasier fights

Muhammad Ali knocking out George Foreman

Tiger Woods

The Red Sox winning the 2004 World Series.

College sports have not provide the great memories that I have gotten watching professionals play. I like watching the best play and compete at their sport.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Weak rant. Sounds like you need to grow up.

People that enjoy sports don't play sports or go out and have fun with friends? I enjoy watching sports, playing sports and playing TF2. Why do you care how people enjoy themselves? Posting your TF2 stats in a link is no different than someone showing their pride for their sport's team.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Actually, I wasn't implying that sports fans are lard asses. I was pointing out the healthy benefits.

Also, switching the words in my post made the second paragraph make absolutely zero sense. You think I should go out and start shooting people?

What you meant to say, was that it parallels watching professional gaming, which is incredibly stupid. I like TF2, so I play it. You like football, so play it. Neither of us should waste time watching other people do it.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Weak rant. Sounds like you need to grow up.

People that enjoy sports don't play sports or go out and have fun with friends? I enjoy watching sports, playing sports and playing TF2. Why do you care how people enjoy themselves? Posting your TF2 stats in a link is no different than someone showing their pride for their sport's team.

Nope, completely incorrect, read my last post.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003

Actually, I was commenting on you being a pretentious prick, calling people who watch sports "100% pathetic." Also subtly suggesting people who do so require physical activity to lose weight.

It's a hobby. It is entertainment. And it greatly parallels how you like video games.

For example, everything you said about sports being pathetic, I could direct towards TF2 and it would be exactly the same.

Moral of the story - stop being such a douchebag.

Actually, let's try it:

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but playing TF2 is 100% completely pathetic. Chances are, someone on either team is cheating, so why play it? You aren't playing a "good" game. You're playing with some shitty pimple-faced, 12 year old idiot clicking a mouse.

While it's not always feasible, go out and actually play the game yourself. Have some fun with friends. Maybe you'd lose a little weight too. If you play TF2 occasionally, when nothing else is on, then that's dandy. But all of the idiots out there who post in TF2 forums, care about TF2 stats, don't move out of their parents' basement?: Grow the hell up.

Being a douchebag is easy.

I don't do this a lot but ha this is great. OWNED!

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
I don't do this a lot but ha this is great. OWNED!

Switching the words in a previous post is all it takes to impress you? That's actually fairly impressive in itself...