Professional Sports

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
If you want professionalism stick to golf.

Most of this stuff has been going on forever, but now people are more interested in hearing it and being able to put down someone more successful than they are.

I am sure they will miss the amount you have contributed to their salary.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: TheSlamma
The Cheatriots broke the camels back for me with the NFL this year.
That's because you're a highly sensitive and delicate Nancy:roll:
Actually it's because I hate what cheating does for the sport. It's too bad we can't meet face to face for you to call me a Nancy :)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Actually it's because I hate what cheating does for the sport. It's too bad we can't meet face to face for you to call me a Nancy :)
Oh I wouldn't want to upset a delicate flower such as yourself.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
I quit paying attention to baseball after their strike.
Basketball has always been a joke to me.
At least in the NFL, as in Pro Wrestling, those guys invest their bodies.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Looks like you're done with all sports. If you knew what actually goes on behind the scenes of any competitive sport, you'd cry and pout.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

ETHUG4LIFE!

weiv0004

Oct 28, 2004
I totally agree with the OP here. Sports "professionals" are extremely overpaid. That being said, musicians are as well. What about actors who are paid many millions of dollars for a few months of pretending to be someone else. Then some of these actors spend their spare time drunk driving and blowing their money on extravagant crap.

I guess the way I rationalize it is that professional athletes not only exel at their sport, but are also often television personalities by default.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I love football, but I kind of get turned off to it by some of the players. They get paid millions of dollars, you'd think they could show a little class.

This article kind of sums it up.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

Looks like you're done with all sports. If you knew what actually goes on behind the scenes of any competitive sport, you'd cry and pout.
Explain to me cheating in the NHL and how it impacts the sport.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
I've never enjoyed watching professional sports the very reason that they're getting payed millions to throw, kick, or otherwise utilize a ball. Professional sports has always been a bad thing.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Steriods, HGH, illegal hockey sticks/blades, illegal sized goalie pads, etc...

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005

I have serious doubts that Yzerman, Gretzky, Sakic and Naslund ever juiced. If they did they prolly were sold vegtable oil cause they sure arent very big. Infact almost every single great hockey player isn't really that big, maybe Hull but I don't see that he did either. That being said I don't know what benefit it gives in the sport.

oznerol

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2002
www.lorenzoisawesome.com
Get over it.

It is entertainment. It's the same way movie stars, tv stars and musicians are overpaid.

Also keep in mind your ticket sales only account for a fraction of the entire revenue stream of these events. TV broadcasts and advertising is where the big money is.

People are consumers. We consume food, entertainment, whatever. So long as the market continues to grow, so will the salaries.

I also don't think it's any relevance what these players do off the field anyway. I am not asking them to babysit my children, I expect them to perform at a professional level at their sport. The vast majority of players do this. If they cannot manage their personal lives during the off-season, I really couldn't care less. It's actually fairly expected - most of these players are quite uneducated and come from low-income families in the first place. What do you expect them to do if suddenly they get thrown millions of dollars in their direction?

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

I have serious doubts that Yzerman, Gretzky, Sakic and Naslund ever juiced. If they did they prolly were sold vegtable oil cause they sure arent very big. Infact almost every single great hockey player isn't really that big, maybe Hull but I don't see that he did either. That being said I don't know what benefit it gives in the sport.

You don't know what benefit it would do in hockey? What benefit does it provide in other sports?

It helps one to recover more quickly from injury and workouts. Faster skating, stronger slapshots. I guess ignorance is bliss.

imported_Tango

Golden Member
Mar 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
pro soccer players are a bunch of p*ssies. they refuse to play a physical game and dive at every opportunity. it brings such great shame to a sport i love so much.

Yet they often incur in terrible injuries. A bad tackle can destroy a career, and they know it.

Soccer must be about skill and creativity, not about physical contact. Watch boxing if you want a sport where the bigger guy wins...

MasterOfKtulu109

May 16, 2006
Originally posted by: ducci
Get over it.

It is entertainment. It's the same way movie stars, tv stars and musicians are overpaid.

Also keep in mind your ticket sales only account for a fraction of the entire revenue stream of these events. TV broadcasts and advertising is where the big money is.

People are consumers. We consume food, entertainment, whatever. So long as the market continues to grow, so will the salaries.

I also don't think it's any relevance what these players do off the field anyway. I am not asking them to babysit my children, I expect them to perform at a professional level at their sport. The vast majority of players do this. If they cannot manage their personal lives during the off-season, I really couldn't care less. It's actually fairly expected - most of these players are quite uneducated and come from low-income families in the first place. What do you expect them to do if suddenly they get thrown millions of dollars in their direction?

exactly. im not gonna stop watching movies or listening to music because actors and musicians make a lot of money.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I would like to know who should get the proceeds if not the actors, celebrities, and musicians? They are hardly overpaid based on the revenues they make. Musicians are often screwed compared to what the labels make.

tfcmasta97

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2004
lol this post from someone named pale riders. quit the sports and huddle in the basement for some mad DnD

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I have always preferred College to Pro, mainly because it's the team. Stardom of an individual player is not what I want to see in a sport, a sport I want to see the team work together perfectly. How well a team can work together, and how skilled each individual player is, is what makes a better team. College sports rule. I played baseball and my favorite part was the team element, well at least I never got to experience a well-bonded team but always wished I had. Maybe that's what has driven me to become more of the leader-type person than I used to be, and have the drive to be a part of a well-oiled team.

Hmm. I love when as you are writing a post on a message board, you learn a little more about yourself. :D

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: tfcmasta97
lol this post from someone named pale riders. quit the sports and huddle in the basement for some mad DnD

LOL HE DOESN'T LIKE SPORTS HE'S SO GHEEYYY

You're like, one of those retarded beer belly tailgaters, aren't you?

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Ther was an article on ESPN over the summer about how bad NFL players were in the 70's. They got in just as much or more trouble, its just that the media back then wasn't NEAR as invasive and omnipresent as it is now, which is why it seems they are so much worse. Kinda like how past presidents had mistresses but no one talked about it, Bill Clinton does it and he's the devil.

It was wrong then, and its wrong now, there's just a lot more attention to it these days.

And I still love me some pro sports.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: manowar821

You pissed off someone made fun of your dungeon master :confused:

Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: manowar821

You pissed off someone made fun of your dungeon master :confused:

lol :thumbsup:

Jahee

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2006

Lol, here we go...