Prepping for post-election fallout?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Because Americans don't take well to the precautions they should be doing.

Open your eyes and look around at the parties and beaches and bars etc... I see these dumb@sses everywhere no masks crowded up together on and on. I wear my mask and stay away from the dummies.

I'm not saying that Trump did everything right, but to tag all of this on him is stupid partisanship.

yes, stupid American republicans act very stupid in very predictable ways.

You're not helping your case.

Reactions: Meghan54 and Pohemi

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015

Open your eyes and look around at the parties and beaches and bars etc... I see these dumb@sses everywhere no masks crowded up together on and on. I wear my mask and stay away from the dummies.

I'm not saying that Trump did everything right, but to tag all of this on him is stupid partisanship.

Inconsequential, random man named Donald Trump actively encourages all of it.

It's of no matter.

Donald Trump? Never heard of him.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
LOL, Yeah it's only republicans ignoring safe practices. ;)

No, not only. But mostly, and by a very wide margin.

Public mask wearing: Always, Very Often, Sometimes, Rarely, Never

Republican242218927
Independent412712218
Democrat6133411

In case you are lazy or math challenged, 46% of republicans wear masks in public "always" or "very often." Compared to 94% of democrats. That's a 48 point spread.

It should also go without saying that when one is cautious in a particular way, they are more likely to also be cautious in other ways, particularly in regard to the same risk (COVID in this case). And vice versa.

Yet other data also backs this up. Dems are more than twice as likely to say they intend to vote by mail this year, and more than twice as likely to say they may not vote if voting by mail is not an option.

This is not an American problem. It's a problem with American conservatives. Trump is a huge part of it right now. But it's also grounded in a perversion of libertarian ideology, the original principle being that everyone can do whatever they want so long as they don't harm others (called the non-aggression principle) having morphed into "FY I'll do whatever I want no matter who it harms."

That is the ugly truth about what American conservatism has become.

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
No, not only. But mostly, and by a very wide margin.

Public mask wearing: Always, Very Often, Sometimes, Rarely, Never

Republican242218927
Independent412712218
Democrat6133411

In case you are lazy or math challenged, 46% of republicans wear masks in public "always" or "very often." Compared to 94% of democrats. That's a 48 point spread.

It should also go without saying that when one is cautious in a particular way, they are more likely to also be cautious in other ways. And vice versa.

But how accurate is that poll?

As it asked "How often do you wear a mask when outside your home? ". Lots of room for interpretation...

Does that mean when you step out into the yard?

I don't think many people wear a mask in the back yard of their house.

Anyway my comment was to Zins absurd comment above. I also don't place a lot of faith in that poll panel by political party. What does make more sense is the separation by region. Which is probably closer to the truth.

U.S. Region
Northeast54231048
South472611313
West423310410
Midwest332911423

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

As it asked "How often do you wear a mask when outside your home? ". Lots of room for interpretation...

Anyway my comment was to Zins absurd comment above. I also don't place a lot of faith in that poll panel by political party. What does make more sense is the separation by region. Which is probably closer to the truth.

U.S. Region
Northeast54231048
South472611313
West423310410
Midwest332911423

LOL that is the best you can do? How accurate is that poll?

Ambiguities like whether it applies to one's backyard are irrelevant here because there is a huge delta in responses between dems and reps to this question. If there are some people who misunderstand the question, there is no reason such confusion would affect one group more than the other. In other words, you haven't identified any supposed defect in the question that would bias the result in either direction.

Even if you had identified a question defect which could bias the result, which you have not, it's nigh impossible that it would bias the result by this much. You can't explain away this huge of a difference, a 48 point spread, by quibbling over the wording of the question.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015

Ambiguities like whether it applies to one's backyard are irrelevant here because there is a huge delta in responses between dems and reps to this question. If there are some people who misunderstand the question, there is no reason such confusion would affect one group more than the other. In other words, you haven't identified any supposed defect in the question that would bias the result in either direction.

Even if you had identified a question defect which could bias the result, which you have not, it's nigh impossible that it would bias the result by this much. You can't explain away this huge of a difference, a 48 point spread, by quibbling over the wording of the question.
Forever JAQing off.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

Not quibbling. It's just a poll...

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Not quibbling. It's just a poll...

A poll you decided to dismiss because you didn't like the result, because it blows your whole argument that being incautious in relation to COVID is an American thing, rather than mainly a conservative thing, out of the water.

Had the poll shown a result supporting your argument, I have this feeling you would have liked it a lot more.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
A poll you decided to dismiss because you didn't like the result, because it blows your whole argument that being incautious in relation to COVID is an American thing, rather than mainly a conservative thing, out of the water.

Had the poll shown a result supporting your argument, I have this feeling you would have liked it a lot more.

Then you would be wrong. These days I put no faith in any poll that uses a party affiliation as everything is so partisan. And as I also stated the poll by region makes more sense.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Then you would be wrong. These days I put no faith in any poll that uses a party affiliation as everything is so partisan. And as I also stated the poll by region makes more sense.
Funny though that those regions also happen to roughly correlate to being more Republican (south and Midwest) or Democratic leaning (West and northeast). Which regions again have higher rates of mask wearing?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

You discount your own hand waving away in this statement. it's because it's so partisan that party affiliation is an important measurement.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

You linked an article from nearly three months ago. The US has significantly more COVID deaths per capita now.

Trump is a big reason why significant numbers of Americans refuse common sense precautions like wearing masks. Don’t let your partisanship keep you from putting responsibility where it lies.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You’re dismissing it because you don’t like what it says. Lie to us all you want but at least be honest with yourself.

Conservatives are the problem.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Still not finding large gatherings of Democrats and liberals refusing to wear masks or distance for no better reason than, "to trigger the cons". Interesting.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

Unless you have some reason to believe that Republicans would misunderstand the question at significantly higher rates than Democrats it would not matter because we would expect that the misunderstanding would be evenly distributed.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Speculation at best.
Your inability to understand that your 'dear leader' is a fucking moron, and has killed 10's of thousands as a direct result of his utter incompetence and stunning ignorance, a trait you seem to share with him.

The US which is only 4% of the worlds population accounts for 25% of cases.
The US which is only 4% of the worlds population accounts for 14% of deaths.

The man should be tried for dereliction of duty and face a firing squad. Yet fucking idiots still sing his praises and swoon like middle school girls over a teen idol.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Are you operating under the belief that Trump is a conservative? He is many negative things, but being a conservative is not one of them.

Regardless of whether Trump is conservative or not, those who are commonly understood as conservatives in America overwhelmingly support him.

Trump is a symptom, conservatives are the disease.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Everything is so partisan? Like wearing masks?
jZGgghi.png

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
You linked an article from nearly three months ago. The US has significantly more COVID deaths per capita now.

Trump is a big reason why significant numbers of Americans refuse common sense precautions like wearing masks. Don’t let your partisanship keep you from putting responsibility where it lies.

The US News article was a bit dated, but the NPR Article is dated: August 5, 2020 6:15 PM ET.

Last edited: