Post a picture of yerself, P&N denizens.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Every year, I ride 545+ miles in 7 days from San Fransisco to Los Angeles to raise money for HIV/AIDS.

Here's some pictures from that:

Bike Drop off for shipping...

LqLDnEc.jpg

First camp in Santa Cruz
oPnDJjA.jpg

Climbing Quad Buster
IuGmCHI.jpg

Top of the "Evil Twins" and Halfway to LA!!!
TI83wCO.jpg

Yes, we have mermaids and you don't.
VLX9h0o.jpg

Amused... Very Amused.
oyRYsvJ.jpg

Yes, I have a goofy smile.
ctzcpaz.jpg

562 miles later at the finish line!!!
63C5ng7.jpg

Time to sleep for a week.
8zGllFK.jpg

Last edited:

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
16h111u.jpg

In Uganda bungee jumping and dipping into the Nile river.

1z6v15d.jpg

With a crocodile below me, nbd.

214dvg2.jpg

Probably not very smart, had to sign a waver before we went to find them.

24mbbsn.jpg

Murchinson falls in Uganda.

2dqikm.jpg

Kampala, Uganda. Little traffic, every day all day like this.

29borx3.jpg

Safari in Uganda. Saw every damn animal but a Lion. Got chased by elephants, say dozens of giraffes, too many others to name. Saw tracks of lions, not the actual animal, ugh.

w0kjnk.jpg

Rockhampton, Australia. Lost most of my good pics sadly.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
2a8ngbc.jpg

Paris, obviously.

1zny6f8.jpg

The one, the only real, Moulin Rouge. Was certainly interesting. Also in Paris.

27zc8s3.jpg

Bridge over the Seine river, about 200 yards from Eiffel tower.

2ykghn8.jpg

Beer "tent" in Munich, Germany for Oktoberfest. Main tent where the Mayor tapped the first keg.

25txgdk.jpg

Munich, Germany for the fest.

2cqd55h.jpg

Obviously another Oktoberfest. Buddy and I. I don't even like beer, and was 10 Euro per glass, but I played along. Blurry 4 days.

29dxngz.jpg

Another from Rockhampton, Australia. Found some others, but out in the middle of nowhere. Over a decade ago.

2lxdrpu.jpg

Another on the Nile river, having a Nile beer.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
Changed my profile picture to one of me for 1 day.

Last edited:

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Tomorrow's thread: Pictures from Amused vs Ackmed's arm-wrestling match.

I wish I had the discipline or general demeanor to get that jacked, to say nothing of travel so much.

Incidentally, Ackmed. How's the newborn?

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Every year, I ride 545+ miles in 7 days from San Fransisco to Los Angeles to raise money for HIV/AIDS.

That's pretty cool. I did a ride like this a couple years ago, Sturbridge MA to Provincetown at the end of the cape ... 192 miles in 2 days, and that was enough for me lol. This one was raising money for cancer research. Unfortunately I gave up on it the following year because I had a hard time raising that much money and ended up just donating most of my portion myself. What's the fundraising goal like for this one?

Congrats either way, that is badass to keep doing it every year.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
That's pretty cool. I did a ride like this a couple years ago, Sturbridge MA to Provincetown at the end of the cape ... 192 miles in 2 days, and that was enough for me lol. This one was raising money for cancer research. Unfortunately I gave up on it the following year because I had a hard time raising that much money and ended up just donating most of my portion myself. What's the fundraising goal like for this one?

Congrats either way, that is badass to keep doing it every year.

Thanks! It's fun and I ride every mile. Then I sleep for a week. LOL

The minimum is $3000. I usually get over 5K. :)

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I've been doing some long distances on my bike as well; how do you guys deal with the neck soreness of looking up the entire time? Do I need to get my seating and posture checked out?

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Thanks! It's fun and I ride every mile. Then I sleep for a week. LOL

The minimum is $3000. I usually get over 5K. :)

Surprisingly after mine I got a solid 9-10 hours the night after and was good from then on. The night in between the two days I got probably 3, could not sleep for the life of me. A few friends and I managed 19.2mph one day and 18.9 the other, largely due to being pulled by all the miraculously fast old dudes .... (I was 25 at the time)

I must not have enough friends, the minimum was $4.5k and I barely got 2 lol

I've been doing some long distances on my bike as well; how do you guys deal with the neck soreness of looking up the entire time? Do I need to get my seating and posture checked out?

Can't say I've had any issues with neck soreness but I do put in the effort to keep my back and neck as neutral as possible (i.e. keep your head slightly down). I try to keep my shoulders pushed back as if I was standing with a good, non-slouched posture. Remember to stretch by rolling your neck and touching your chin to your chest regularly, when you can do it safely.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Tomorrow's thread: Pictures from Amused vs Ackmed's arm-wrestling match.

I wish I had the discipline or general demeanor to get that jacked, to say nothing of travel so much.

Incidentally, Ackmed. How's the newborn?

2qk436t.jpg

Funny you should say that, arm wrestled a German guy at Oktoberfest. Some how trash started talking, I think I called beer "bitch water", I prefer liquor. We gave each other a hard time, then he challenged me to a arm wrestling match. I beat him, he said he could out drink me, I said challenge accepted. BTW, held my beer the whole time, you can see it in my left hand.

2lvoitj.jpg

20170221_184119.jpg

Youngest is doing fine, thanks. 16lbs, 24", 10 weeks. He is a big boy. Went to dinner last night.

4snnea.jpg

30jo80g.jpg

Senegal, Africa with their army doing some training, and goofing off. Got a little burned, sun is on another level there.

m9ofts.jpg

Trevi fountain in Rome, Italy.

11i0f9s.jpg

The Colosseum. Rome, Italy. Halloween night for both, was a good night. Doing work on it though :/

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
That's great man. My youngest is coming on 14 months and is becoming less baby more toddler. I will miss the baby phase very much, sleepless nights, dirty diapers, illnesses, and all. My wife misses having a newborn around, and every now and again raises the possibility of #5.

But thank you, my seeds are freaking sewn. 4 is plenty.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Saddle time. It goes away with regular saddle time. Increase your mileage incrementally and stick it out. It goes away eventually as your neck, arms and shoulders get used to it.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
54exky.jpg

Streets of Lagos, Nigeria.

2nreb6e.jpg

Again, Lagos Nigeria. Anyone interested?

dhfgpu.jpg

Southern Sicily, Italy. Some castle looking thing by the Mediterranean Sea.

rlfafr.jpg

Catacombe dei Cappuccini in Palermo, Sicily Italy. Getting mean mugged like crazy.

idub2p.jpg

On Mt Etna, Europe's highest and most active volcano. Erupted several times while there, pretty beautiful at night. Easy to see the orange glow from miles away. Very high up, was like 95 before we started the way up, around 50 up there in July.