POLL: Will you get the Nexus 7 $0/$199/$249 version

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Which one will you be buying...

• $199 8gb Nexus 7

• $249 16gb Nexus 7

• None.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
The Nexus 7 definitely looks nice at the $200 price point, but I just don't know what I would do with a Tablet when I already have a top-tier touch screen phone.

Can anyone in the same boat give me some insight? Seems like the functionality overlaps, just with an advantage of a larger screen. But who wants two devices to carry around?

You really wouldn't.

I find tablets more appealing if you don't have a smartphone. Right now, I have a HTC Thunderbolt. If my smartphone and plan weren't paid for by my company, I'd have a prepaid basic phone with much better battery life and a tablet.

That said, overall I'm starting to consider that the 7" form factor isn't ideal for a color tablet. 10" seems more appropriate, especially if it's a companion to a smart phone (10" makes the most sense even without a smartphone).
I'd definitely want 3G/4G if I had no smartphone.

10" + 4G = iPad for me, if I had no smartphone.
10" + WiFi= iPad for me, if I have a smartphone (and wanted a tablet).

There's a lot of passionate diehards on both sides of the iOS/Android fence but just my thoughts. I'm very wary of Android tablets, as the strongest of them all is locked into Amazon's ecosystem of all things.

My only mobile devices at this time are HTC Thunderbolt (and an Android powered Nook Touch if that counts). But looking at iPhone5 + no tablet. Or basic phone + iPad3 4G.

In my opinion, data plans are so damn outrageous from a good carrier like Verizon that I wouldn't pay for a smartphone if mine wasn't paid for. Rather pickup a iPad3 and activate the 4G when traveling.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Some Nexus 7s have surprisingly bad image retention

Some have suggested this is a native behavior with IPS displays called "image retention." I did a side-by-side of the same image with a Transformer Prime and Trasformer Pad 300 - both of which have IPS displays. The retention occurred only with a bright-white image on a darker color. The Nexus 7 does it with almost any image, and more severely. This may be an issue with the IPS panel in the Nexus 7, or it could be a software problem, but it's by no means the same in every Android tablet with an IPS display out there. It's definitely worse on the Nexus 7, any way you slice it.

wm_IMAG0132_thumb1.jpg
wm_IMAG0133_thumb1.jpg

ASUS Response: We've received a response from ASUS that they're unable to replicate the problem on production units (I/O units are, technically, pre-production), so this may have been sorted out in time for the initial consumer run. It appears, then, that this problem is at least affecting only some units.

so is the ipad nano :sneaky:
Nah, iPad mini. The nano is the iPod touch. ;)

However, I'm not so interested in the iPad mini. I want that elusive microSD support.

Last edited:

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
The Nexus 7 definitely looks nice at the $200 price point, but I just don't know what I would do with a Tablet when I already have a top-tier touch screen phone.

Can anyone in the same boat give me some insight? Seems like the functionality overlaps, just with an advantage of a larger screen. But who wants two devices to carry around?

Nexus 7 ordered from J&R with the $15 July 4th discount, no tax, free shipping. Email confirmation received.

If you have something like a Galaxy Note which has a 5.4" screen, a 7" tablet probably doesn't make sense. For those with a 3.5" to 4.5" screen, a 7" tablet probably makes a good complementary device. But it all depends on what you want or think you want out of it.

For myself, I'm using it primarily as a highly portable ebook reader, a light gaming tablet, a portable web browser, and also to view certain documents on the go. I could go with a 10" device but that leans towards the cumbersome side. I'll experiment with other functionality when I get the device.

Most of my Android experience has been in the testing phase of certain proprietary apps. I'll also use this as an opportunity to see what the vaunted difference is between Gingerbread and ICS/JB since most users claim it is a night and day difference in usability. So far, and I'm not comparing apps but the OS, Gingerbread has been a sub-par experience as compared to iOS 4. To me, there were more "geek" moments in Gingerbread than in iOS 4. And by "geek" moments, I mean behavior that only a more tech oriented person would expect or stuff you have to Google to find out how to do something.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
I hate that iOS doesn't have my beloved Firefox, it really is a shame that the closed system has the best hardware/devices and ecosystem with all the best devs focusing on it. I think many that haven't devoted their first born to feelings surrounding their choice of Android or iOS are in this boat.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
I hate that iOS doesn't have my beloved Firefox, it really is a shame that the closed system has the best hardware/devices and ecosystem with all the best devs focusing on it. I think many that haven't devoted their first born to feelings surrounding their choice of Android or iOS are in this boat.

Do you use Firefox on Android? I tried it once and thought it sucked complete ass. Use Firefox for my desktop so it was pretty disappointing.

Dolphin > Opera > Stock ---------------> Firefox

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Do you use Firefox on Android? I tried it once and thought it sucked complete ass. Use Firefox for my desktop so it was pretty disappointing.

Firefox for Android has been a work in progress for a while now. I understand its much better in its current form that previous, but Chrome is the best browser on Android right now.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Firefox for Android has been a work in progress for a while now. I understand its much better in its current form that previous, but Chrome is the best browser on Android right now.

Haven't tried Chrome since it first came out. Last I heard you could click on an option each page to view desktop view or something?

I only use desktop view even on my phone, so Chrome has been worthless. They fixed it yet?

Edit:

Appears this has been fixed. Still very lacking in options though, such as keep screen on with browser open, and change volume up/down button to page up/down like in Dolphin.

Edit2:

Gah, nope. Closing Chrome or opening a new tab makes you need to check the request desktop option each time. It's a shame, seems like a nice browser but I can't do without those options.

Last edited:

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
Nexus 7 ordered from J&R with the $15 July 4th discount, no tax, free shipping. Email confirmation received.

Where did you find it on J&R ???
I'm looking all over for it.
I will cancel my pre-order and order it from J&R.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Last edited:

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007

It was terrible and slow before. It's gotten much better. I tended to prefer Opera Mini (works even when I have no 3G or 4G signal great) but prefer the latest FF for android. It works pretty well and I love the new interface, looks pretty slick.

Don't give up on FF, it's always changing. I'm not a Chrome fan for many reasons.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
It was terrible and slow before. It's gotten much better. I tended to prefer Opera Mini (works even when I have no 3G or 4G signal great) but prefer the latest FF for android. It works pretty well and I love the new interface, looks pretty slick.

Don't give up on FF, it's always changing. I'm not a Chrome fan for many reasons.

What are these "many" reasons?

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
None, because I still believe all tablets are toys.

It doesn't matter if it's a Touchpad, Galaxy Tab, Transformer, PlayBook, iPad 3, or the new "Surface" tablets from Microsoft.
The "Nexus 7" is no exception and falls in that same exact category as the others.

It's a mobile computer system used as a toy most of the time and I call it the great Dr. appt. "equalizer", waiting isn't so bad if you've got a good tower defense game going, I often look up to see others peering over looking jealous like Damm!, he's actually having fun while waiting. Also a "7 tablet is the best bathroom device bar none (excluding TP..

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
It's dead, Jim.
http://slickdeals.net/f/4837912-7-1...a-3-Quad-Core-CPU-Pre-order-234-Free-Shipping

**EDIT**
Also, the one from J&R doesn't come with the $25 Google Play Store credit.
For most people the J&R deal is a wash(meaning you only save $10-20) and the shipping will take 5-7 business days versus 2-3 business days with Google.

I can wait.
It would have been for me $249+14+16= $279-$25= $254.
Vs $249-$15 =$234 $25 cash discount is much better than $25 in google money.
Plus I get 4x pts from my CC buying from J&R.
Damm, I just missed it.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008

Hmm I'll have to give it another try sometime. Dolphin just seems to have every tweak/option you could want though, no other browsers match it. Unfortunately it hangs fairly often though depending on the webpage, on my tablet anyway. Has always had problems in ICS.
It's a mobile computer system used as a toy most of the time and I call it the great Dr. appt. "equalizer", waiting isn't so bad if you've got a good tower defense game going, I often look up to see others peering over looking jealous like Damm!, he's actually having fun while waiting. Also a "7 tablet is the best bathroom device bar none (excluding TP..

Yea I would have killed for a smartphone/tablet as a kid all the fucking times I had to wait for my mother. Boredom is now extinct.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
You really wouldn't.

I find tablets more appealing if you don't have a smartphone. Right now, I have a HTC Thunderbolt. If my smartphone and plan weren't paid for by my company, I'd have a prepaid basic phone with much better battery life and a tablet.

That said, overall I'm starting to consider that the 7" form factor isn't ideal for a color tablet. 10" seems more appropriate, especially if it's a companion to a smart phone (10" makes the most sense even without a smartphone).
I'd definitely want 3G/4G if I had no smartphone.

10" + 4G = iPad for me, if I had no smartphone.
10" + WiFi= iPad for me, if I have a smartphone (and wanted a tablet).

There's a lot of passionate diehards on both sides of the iOS/Android fence but just my thoughts. I'm very wary of Android tablets, as the strongest of them all is locked into Amazon's ecosystem of all things.

My only mobile devices at this time are HTC Thunderbolt (and an Android powered Nook Touch if that counts). But looking at iPhone5 + no tablet. Or basic phone + iPad3 4G.

In my opinion, data plans are so damn outrageous from a good carrier like Verizon that I wouldn't pay for a smartphone if mine wasn't paid for. Rather pickup a iPad3 and activate the 4G when traveling.

Yeah, as a complimentary device 10" seems more appropriate. But the market seems to be preferring smaller tablets these days.

If you have something like a Galaxy Note which has a 5.4" screen, a 7" tablet probably doesn't make sense. For those with a 3.5" to 4.5" screen, a 7" tablet probably makes a good complementary device. But it all depends on what you want or think you want out of it.

For myself, I'm using it primarily as a highly portable ebook reader, a light gaming tablet, a portable web browser, and also to view certain documents on the go. I could go with a 10" device but that leans towards the cumbersome side. I'll experiment with other functionality when I get the device.

Most of my Android experience has been in the testing phase of certain proprietary apps. I'll also use this as an opportunity to see what the vaunted difference is between Gingerbread and ICS/JB since most users claim it is a night and day difference in usability. So far, and I'm not comparing apps but the OS, Gingerbread has been a sub-par experience as compared to iOS 4. To me, there were more "geek" moments in Gingerbread than in iOS 4. And by "geek" moments, I mean behavior that only a more tech oriented person would expect or stuff you have to Google to find out how to do something.

My phone is 4.8, which is big but note galaxy note big. I guess the 2.2 inches isn't enough of a reason to me.

But to each his own. The Nexus 7 looks pretty sweet.

ThermalShark

Apr 2, 2012
I'm most likely going to sell my Kindle Fire. I have ICS ROM on it but this is a much better device. I only got the Fire for $140 on a Amazon deal so I won't be losing that much money. What I really like about the Nexus is that it has NFC and Bluetooth. Easy to share things between my phone and the tablet and being able to use a controller wirelessly with Bluetooth is great as well.

Same here, I use BT a lot, the Fire just doesn't cut it, and the whole "integration with Amazon services" thing isn't that big of a deal.

Ordered a 16GB Nexus :)

SpacemanSpiffVT

Apr 17, 2001
just ordered a 16GB, first time using a Android device, have been on iphones for 2.5 years so we will see. I am just a bit tired of itunes and all of apples crap. It seems like google is catching up nowadays to Apple in the apps department so I figure its worth a shot.

A bit ticked off that with shipping and tax it ends up being $275... but 8 GB isnt gonna cut it. shoulda ordered from staples instead

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2001
Haven't tried Chrome since it first came out. Last I heard you could click on an option each page to view desktop view or something?

I only use desktop view even on my phone, so Chrome has been worthless. They fixed it yet?

Edit:

Appears this has been fixed. Still very lacking in options though, such as keep screen on with browser open, and change volume up/down button to page up/down like in Dolphin.

Edit2:

Gah, nope. Closing Chrome or opening a new tab makes you need to check the request desktop option each time. It's a shame, seems like a nice browser but I can't do without those options.
its sad how 3rd party software always comes with so many options. you would think google would bake in a lot of power options into their software, but it's always up to AOKP and CM9 to add those options users want....

gmaster456

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2011
When I get it I'm most likely going to be getting the 16gb version. It's size makes it great for travel and I love that it has built in GPS and is running pure android.

ChrisAttebery

Nov 10, 2003
I've been waiting for these to come out ever since Asus showed the MeMo tablet. I get a $200 credit from work if I buy a Tegra device, so it's a no brainer. I ordered the 16GB model as soon as the pre-order opened.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
ops, what happened? Now I'm kind interested in one...?

Anyway, how is web browsing on a 7" screen really? Seems to be squezed between the small web of phones and "the real" web of ipad/laptops.. I'd prefer to have something close to the latter. Then I might actually be interested in this.

Read two reviews now and for some reason they barely mention how browsing the web is. When did people quit the web?? Do we only care about design and apps now?

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
ops, what happened? Now I'm kind interested in one...?

Anyway, how is web browsing on a 7" screen really? Seems to be squezed between the small web of phones and "the real" web of ipad/laptops.. I'd prefer to have something close to the latter. Then I might actually be interested in this.

Read two reviews now and for some reason they barely mention how browsing the web is. When did people quit the web?? Do we only care about design and apps now?

Browsing the web on it is similar to browsing on a 10in 1280x800 tablet like the TF300. Except you have to scroll and zoom around more. Several reviews I've seen on the N7 did take it through several web sites though.