POLL: Will you get the Nexus 7 $0/$199/$249 version

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Which one will you be buying...

• $199 8gb Nexus 7

• $249 16gb Nexus 7

• None.

Results are only viewable after voting.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Still waiting on shipment confirmation. But I did order from J&R. I kind of expected it to be shipped later than direct from Google. But I don't need it right away and it was $235 for the 16GB version since there was no tax and free shipping.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
J&R pre-order for $249. No tax except in New York. Free shipping. July 4th weekend discount code for $15.

249-15=234

:)

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Going to Gamestop today. All gone, but they are still doing the +30% on trade-ins towards Nexus 7. Dug up some old iPods and 360 games.

Edit: bonus 50% on Apple products. Paid 150. :biggrin:

Last edited:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
The Guardian gives the Nexus a lukewarm review:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technolog...le-nexus-7-review?cat=technology&type=article

WTF, the home screen doesn't rotate? Hopefully Chrome does, because that's about the only way I'd surf on the thing.

Plenty of other positive reviews counter it. I wasn't impressed with the blog Guardian review. Reviewer is definitely technically challenged and not that knowledgeable about Android.

Home screen orientation doesn't bother me. I actually prefer the vertical phone view and always lock both my phone and tablets 7" & 10" to vertical.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
Plenty of other positive reviews counter it. I wasn't impressed with the blog Guardian review. Reviewer is definitely technically challenged and not that knowledgeable about Android.

Home screen orientation doesn't bother me. I actually prefer the vertical phone view and always lock both my phone and tablets 7" & 10" to vertical.

Same here. My iPad is locked to portrait 99% of the time.

I can't believe the reviewer actually thinks the ability to open a file in whatever app you want and set a default app is a negative.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Uh, we knew the home screen doesn't rotate. It doesn't in ICS either. Slightly annoying, but easily worked around by installing Nova Launcher. Chrome does rotate between Portrait and Landscape though.

Where is the rotate home screen feature of Nova Launcher? Is it in the paid app?

Always assumed ICS/Honeycomb did it automatically since my Transformer TF101 rotates the home screen even on stock roms. Found with my Galaxy S3 it does not rotate, and it bugs the shit out of me since I almost always use landscape. And my Tbolt rotated with roms.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Nova Settings>Look and feel>Screen Orientation

note you can choose default (mostly locked), rotate, force portrait, or force landscape

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
My iPad is locked to portrait 99% of the time.
My iPad is usually locked to landscape most of the time. The rest of the time it's allowed to rotate. It's basically never locked to portrait mode.

Last edited:

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Nova Settings>Look and feel>Screen Orientation

note you can choose default (mostly locked), rotate, force portrait, or force landscape

Hmm pretty sure I looked there, but I found another app that does it too anyway. Sweetness, made my Galaxy S3 even better.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Is Netflix on this in hd? I'm looking to trade my aging tf101 for a new tablet but I want Netflix in hd like my razr.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Any word on the status of the ROMs, for USB OTG support for external storage? Last I heard it could read external drives for file transfers, but not play video directly off external media.

I don't really care so much about HDMI, although it'd be a bonus.

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
Any word on the status of the ROMs, for USB OTG support for external storage? Last I heard it could read external drives for file transfers, but not play video directly off external media.

From what I've read the current state appears to be that files can be transferred to the Nexus 7 via OTG cable but not opened/played directly from your usb storage.

However, the dev community still isn't that big since not everyone has their tablets yet and the ones that do that have them hasn't been for long so that could change.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

USB OTG works 100% just like the Galaxy Nexus. Reads and play videos directly off external media with updated Stickmount app. No custom needed, only root.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
Is Netflix on this in hd? I'm looking to trade my aging tf101 for a new tablet but I want Netflix in hd like my razr.

Your razr can handle HD? Mine hasn't been able to, even on wifi

But I also am hoping the 7 can. Shouldn't be a problem I imagine

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I feel bad for people who ordered the 16gb from the Play Store. They paid for shipping and will receive it later than B&M retail store buyers who already have the device and saved on shipping. Very amateurish launch by multi-billion dollar company. You could forgive if this was their first attempt but it's not. What's the point of preordering from Google and paying for shipping when you're going to get it later than everyone else? If you order the 16gb from the Play Store, you're rewarding Google's incompetence. You pay more to get it later, and get less support like easy returns. You have no choice for the 8gb since it's currently only available on the Play Store.

My 16gb order with J&R is backordered. But I don't have a problem with that since paid $50 less than if I had bought from Google.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
I feel bad for people who ordered the 16gb from the Play Store. They paid for shipping and will receive it later than B&M retail store buyers who already have the device and saved on shipping. Very amateurish launch by multi-billion dollar company. You could forgive if this was their first attempt but it's not. What's the point of preordering from Google and paying for shipping when you're going to get it later than everyone else? If you order the 16gb from the Play Store, you're rewarding Google's incompetence. You pay more to get it later, and get less support like easy returns. You have no choice for the 8gb since it's currently only available on the Play Store.

My 16gb order with J&R is backordered. But I don't have a problem with that since paid $50 less than if I had bought from Google.

Hmm? I haven't heard anything about the 16gb versions shipping later than the 8gb versions.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Hmm? I haven't heard anything about the 16gb versions shipping later than the 8gb versions.

They aren't. I pre ordered a 16GB model direct from Play and got a ship notice Saturday.

They're doing them in waves, the earlier you preordered, the quicker you'll get your tablet. Patience people. :p

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005

I think he just means that people who bought them from the play store are getting them after people who preordered at gamestop.

It doesnt' really bother me that I'm not the first person to get it. Life goes on, it's not like this tablet is going to drastically change my life and I can't wait a few extra days.