POLL: Will you get the Nexus 7 $0/$199/$249 version

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Which one will you be buying...

• $199 8gb Nexus 7

• $249 16gb Nexus 7

• None.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
None, because I still believe all tablets are toys.

It doesn't matter if it's a Touchpad, Galaxy Tab, Transformer, PlayBook, iPad 3, or the new "Surface" tablets from Microsoft.
The "Nexus 7" is no exception and falls in that same exact category as the others.

Course its a toy, but in the impulse buy range. :p

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008

It doesn't matter if it's a Touchpad, Galaxy Tab, Transformer, PlayBook, iPad 3, or the new "Surface" tablets from Microsoft.
The "Nexus 7" is no exception and falls in that same exact category as the others.

Too old for toys or what? :)

Piano Man

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000

hewhodieswith128572853507500037.jpg

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Just to be straight on topic with the OP, I pre-ordered 2 16GB versions. I had an original Nook Color running ICS, and while its good the 800Mhz (now overclocked to 1.2Ghz) Cortex A8 definitely shows its age along with the limited RAM. I have no interest in 10" tablets so I'm super excited for this. 16GB will be plenty for my usage.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000

I've gotten plenty of work-related use out of my modded nook color (showing its age) and some use out of my ipad (but i refuse to pay for apps for it and dont want to deal with itunes)

im in IT, and carrying around a tablet with dropbox/skydrive access and an excel editor is way easier than carrying around my laptop for all sorts of uses, and a fair amount of time id rather read on one for work/technical documentation than read on my laptop/pc

i work for an IT consulting firm and the medical system we have been working with will even allow physicians to put their ipad on a secure wireless network and get access to their EHR system

my only thing right now is do i want to keep the ipad2 i have (given to me by work, i dont love the thing) and get a nexus 7 to upgrade from the nook color, or do i sell the ipad2 and get the new transformer when it comes out?

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
Nook Tablet's interface is nothing like the N7's interface. Chrome for websites, currents and whatever for magazines. The nook is locked down tight, the N7 is designed around the play store and standard android apps.

It still seemed to me that the 7" screen was too small for "real" web, but also weird for mobile sites (plus a lot of .m pages suck). It was also too small for magazines, having to scroll back and fort to read long sentences and look at graphics. And at least what I saw the magazines cost the same on the tablet as actually buying at so then I might as well do that anyway!

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010

I'm so on board with this! I got better things to spend my money on, and other, better toys I want

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I think the tablet should support USB OTG and MHL adapters.
As mentioned earlier, AnandTech inquired about this and reported back already. It does natively support USB OTG, but does not natively support mounting external storage over USB, nor does it natively support MHL.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
As mentioned earlier, AnandTech inquired about this and reported back already. It does natively support USB OTG, but does not natively support mounting external storage over USB, nor does it natively support MHL.

Hopefully the "natively" part won't be a problem, there are several apps and .zips to solve that already.

We probably won't get a decent answer until someone here gets one and tries it out.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Hopefully the "natively" part won't be a problem, there are several apps and .zips to solve that already.

We probably won't get a decent answer until someone here gets one and tries it out.
See below:
Confirmation OTG storage works via root and Stickmount app. Just as I thought. However he couldn't get the files to play directly off of usb storage. He had to transfer the file directly to the tablet in order to play/use it. But it's good sign.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1743052&page=3

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005

Yeah, if it's just a matter of rooting or needing a custom ROM (slightly more annoying), then I don't consider that a problem at all. I'm just worried it won't support HDMI period.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
so i would need a micro-USB - B port to microSD card adapter?

i like the screen res but having something sticking out of the tablet is annoying and makes me think a galaxy tab 7 might be better.

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
so i would need a micro-USB - B port to microSD card adapter?

i like the screen res but having something sticking out of the tablet is annoying and makes me think a galaxy tab 7 might be better.

Not a chance.
Slower cpu and no JellyBean.
And you'll be waiting a while to get JB on the Tab.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Yeah, if you're going to buy a non-Google 7" tablet, it'd be best to wait a couple of months. The Tegra 3 machines are coming.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
The Nexus 7 definitely looks nice at the $200 price point, but I just don't know what I would do with a Tablet when I already have a top-tier touch screen phone.

Can anyone in the same boat give me some insight? Seems like the functionality overlaps, just with an advantage of a larger screen. But who wants two devices to carry around?