POLL: were you spanked as a child ?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
white and spanked.

and i'm glad I was, and I will spank my kids when I have them.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
I was, and am grateful for it. Children need a healthy fear of their parents.

Punter

Jul 21, 2006
Yes and it was the only type of discipline that actually I took seriously. They always made sure I understood how much they hated to spank, but that it was necessary. Never felt a belt, either wood spoons from mom or by dad's hand. One time I tried to soften the blow by stuffing an Archie comic in my pants - somehow Dad figured that one out though.

tw1164

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
The worst part of being spanked was that I would have to go and get the paddle.

lizardth

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2005
I only needed to be spanked once, after that the threat of spanking was enough to make me behave.

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
Yep, got spanked and all the better for it when properly applied. It was a punishment reserved for severe cases and wasn't handed out indiscriminately.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Absolutely. My mother and grandmother made me get a switch ( a small thin branch off of the tree outside) and then the whipping would commence. My dad would just spank us with his hand.

I can remember the day the spankings stopped. They were going to spank me and I just looked right up and said "No." and just walked away. I wasn't quite bigger than my mom but I was stronger and my dad was disabled so he was just wasting his time trying to get a hold of me so they just quit. You kind of have to once your children learn that they have nothing to fear from you.
I never had anything anyway so they couldn't take anything away.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
European (white) spanked whenever I cross the line. My family doesn't subscribe to this white people bullshit - if kids get out of line, they get straigtened out.

jalaram

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Nope. Never spanked. My family (and my wife's family) never believed in violence, so hitting/slapping/spanking was out.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
oh hell yeah i was spanked. we got the wooden spoon, switch (god i was glad to move away from that house). of course i only got when deserved, usually for doing something ot my older sisters.

finally stopped at around 12. I was hanging out with guys i shouldn't have (they were 15-16). Well we got busted for sneaking out with beer and pot.

my dad didn't hit me or nothing. he just said that was not a wise avenue to go and was disappointed in me.

Oh i am white.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Yes. If I ever have children, they will be spanked when they deserve it. Heck, I would be glad to spank other people's kids when they deserve it, if someone would just give me the go-ahead.

2Dead

Feb 19, 2005
Yeah I was spanked as a kid. I probably got it the more when I was younger than my sisters did.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I'm white and was spanked.

My Mom's favorite weapon of choice was a wooden spoon and she pretty much spanked myself and my brother up to the point I was 11 or 12, which is around the time I reach over 6' tall.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
any other asians know the stick with the feathers ? OMG I was so scared of that thing for some odd reason. It was mostly the threat.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Yes, but it stopped really early for me. Somehow I managed to "convince" that physical punishment was ineffective for me while siblings still took some. Can't say it's a good idea though as deep down, I do feel resentment; keep that in mind if you're a parent and doing it. Oh, and I turned out 'fine', bit retarded but no drugs or criminal record;).

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
spare the rod, spoil the child.

there nothing wrong with a swat on the butt to let the kid know you mean business. i am not talking about being so heavy handed that you leave a mark.

yep, i got a whoop with a wooden yardstick every now and then. i can probably count on one hand the number of times it actually happened, but i modified my behavior VERY QUICKLY so as to not get it a second time.

Uhtrinity

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2003
I was ( a little too much I think) and yes I will spank my son if he pushes it too much. If he is misbehaving in a restaurant or a store I will usually take him to the restroom and explain to him what behavior is expected (set an ultimatum) and we will try again. If he proceeds to though a fit we leave and he gets his punishment out of public view which could be spanking, grounding, nap, etc. I am hesitant to spank in public due to peoples willingness to report child abuse even if it isn't necessarily abuse as defined by the state. He is five by the way and I have raised him alone since he was one.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
I got the belt quite a bit. Good thing, I think... cause i'm not a whiney spoiled brat.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Uhtrinity
I was ( a little too much I think) and yes I will spank my son if he pushes it too much. If he is misbehaving in a restaurant or a store I will usually take him to the restroom and explain to him what behavior is expected (set an ultimatum) and we will try again. If he proceeds to though a fit we leave and he gets his punishment out of public view which could be spanking, grounding, nap, etc. I am hesitant to spank in public due to peoples willingness to report child abuse even if it isn't necessarily abuse as defined by the state. He is five by the way and I have raised him alone since he was one.

I like that approach. It's very logical.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i was spanked by hand and with a spatula, but mainly got the spatula though.
sometimes i got the spatula and had "time out" with nothing to do, just sat on a chair and that was it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I was spanked, yes. Although, I don't agree with the strictness that my dad had (two boys close in age not making noise ever so often?), if I heard him get up after doing something, I knew it wouldn't be good! One time my mom broke a wooden spoon over my buns of steel too :p.