Please stop flashing your lights at me

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: Mill
We aren't talking legality. We are talking the safety recommendations and allowances by a panel made up of scientists and policy-makers.

You trust policymakers?

I'm not saying that HIDs should be illegal. I'm just saying that as a socially conscious citizen who doesn't like to antagonize others, I won't get them, and I wish that others wouldn't either. Reason? Because they blind you. Yes, they fall under the "safety recommendations"...would you drink tap water that was just barely under the government approved "safety levels" for lead, cadmium, and mercury?

I've never had a problem being blinded by stock HIDs, and I fail to see how this has anything to do with spinners. HIDs aren't a fashion accessory. They are a better way of providing light. Again, I feel the reason "some" people get/feel blinded is because they look directly at the lights because they appear odd to them.

I've no problem with all the people mad at those with aftermarket systems that don't autolevel or those with fake blue lights that create a driving hazard. That's what most people are pissed about (illegal or aftermarket lights), yet they are comparing those lights to safely engineered and tested factory HID lights. It is all about ignorance. I've never been blinded by a car with factory HIDs. I did, however, get blinded by some pimped out Impala tonight that had obviously changed its stock lights for blue tinted bulbs. Not only were the bulbs misaimed, but the assembly was loose so it kept throwing light everywhere. If someone has a problem with illegal lights or aftermarket ones that aren't properly fitted then fine. But saying that stock HIDs antagonize others is silly. A vast majority of people don't even notice the difference or can't tell a difference. Many of that ones that do are staring at the HIDs or otherwise.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
But saying that stock HIDs antagonize others is silly. A vast majority of people don't even notice the difference or can't tell a difference. Many of that ones that do are staring at the HIDs or otherwise.

It appears that by your own definition, the OP is quite silly.

murban135

Platinum Member
Apr 7, 2003
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
I never said a word about foglights. Neither you or daniel can read. My lights work perfectly fine. I've driven a vehicle in front of my own car many times, and if anything they create less glare than normal lights.
Glare isn't what blinds people. Contrast blinds people. If your lights are high intensity and you're driving in the dark, the contrast (which is calculated as the difference between maximum and minimum intensities divided by the sum of the same) is very high indeed. As a result, the pupil will want to contract, making them unable to see dark areas. Since these dark areas include the road, surroundings, and everything but your headlights, they are effectively blinded. High intensity headlights suck unless the person using them knows how to aim their headlights properly. You obviously don't.

So, how, exactly am I supposed to aim self-leveling lights? They are 100% fine. I had some friends drive in front of me tonight and they said it was fine.

Easy, read your owner's manual. Here is the cliff's notes version:

1) Self level = up and down
2) Aim = left and right

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: murban135
I never said a word about foglights. Neither you or daniel can read. My lights work perfectly fine. I've driven a vehicle in front of my own car many times, and if anything they create less glare than normal lights.
Glare isn't what blinds people. Contrast blinds people. If your lights are high intensity and you're driving in the dark, the contrast (which is calculated as the difference between maximum and minimum intensities divided by the sum of the same) is very high indeed. As a result, the pupil will want to contract, making them unable to see dark areas. Since these dark areas include the road, surroundings, and everything but your headlights, they are effectively blinded. High intensity headlights suck unless the person using them knows how to aim their headlights properly. You obviously don't.

So, how, exactly am I supposed to aim self-leveling lights? They are 100% fine. I had some friends drive in front of me tonight and they said it was fine.

2) Aim = left and right

And like everyone else you'd be wrong. Read the 3rd page.

murban135

Platinum Member
Apr 7, 2003

2) Aim = left and right

OK, you caught me being sarcastic. My point is that your side to side aiming might be off and that a vertical adjustment, manual or automatic, can not fix that. I don't know the specifics of your car but most cars have a way to manually adjust the left and right aiming of the headlights.

But what is really the purpose of your post? You wrote that it doesn't happen every time you drive and 99% of the time it is not a problem. Do you expect to change the reactions of your fellow drivers by posting here or do you just want to brag about your nice ride with self leveling headlights?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mattocs
If someone is being blinded by foglamps, you really need to get them adjusted. They should be lighting the area just in front of your vehicle...no pointing up into the eyes of other drivers.

And I agree with the HID crap. Maybe they are not so great, and you need to get them fixed.

Obviously not since people think you have your bright lights on.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

2) Aim = left and right

OK, you caught me being sarcastic. My point is that your side to side aiming might be off and that a vertical adjustment, manual or automatic, can not fix that. I don't know the specifics of your car but most cars have a way to manually adjust the left and right aiming of the headlights.

But what is really the purpose of your post? You wrote that it doesn't happen every time you drive and 99% of the time it is not a problem. Do you expect to change the reactions of your fellow drivers by posting here or do you just want to brag about your nice ride with self leveling headlights?

The purpose of this thread was the purpose of the bulk of the threads I create on AT. To rant. Why so many people are assuming I've some kind of sinister motive for creating this thread is beyond me. When I bought my car I posted pics of when I picked it up in Europe. Since then I think I've mentioned it once or twice here which is way way way below the average for AT. Most people mention the vehicle they drive about 6 times a month, and I didn't even identify the make or model until it was necessary. So all you sissies getting butt-hurt over it can go get bent!

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006

The purpose of this thread was the purpose of the bulk of the threads I create on AT. To rant. Why so many people are assuming I've some kind of sinister motive for creating this thread is beyond me. When I bought my car I posted pics of when I picked it up in Europe. Since then I think I've mentioned it once or twice here which is way way way below the average for AT. Most people mention the vehicle they drive about 6 times a month, and I didn't even identify the make or model until it was necessary. So all you sissies getting butt-hurt over it can go get bent!

We're getting worked up over this thread because you're calling more than one person an idiot for flashing their lights at you. If people think your brights are on, your headlights are too bright. It doesn't matter if you think they're fine; more than one person has "complained" about your lights, so there's obviously something wrong somewhere.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: mattocs
If someone is being blinded by foglamps, you really need to get them adjusted. They should be lighting the area just in front of your vehicle...no pointing up into the eyes of other drivers.

And I agree with the HID crap. Maybe they are not so great, and you need to get them fixed.

Obviously not since people think you have your bright lights on.

And some people believe in imaginary things in the sky, UFOs, and other such anomalies. So what? It is rare enough that I know it isn't my fault, but rather the stupidity of the other drivers. I wanted to rant. I did. I truly don't care if people think I have a sinister motive. I've learned several things in this thread. 50% of the replies have been denigrating ricers and aftermarket HIDs (which I've repeatedly stated I don't have), so that means about 50% of all people cannot read. And, I've learned that dumbsh!ts like dullard continue their little personal vendetta. It is an internet messageboard. I think I'll go cry about it. :(

murban135

Platinum Member
Apr 7, 2003

Now I get it.

Your rant: Every other day, people flash their brights at me.

Very effective!

pclstyle

Platinum Member
Apr 14, 2004
heh, op thought tossing around a model would garner some sort of divine awe -- only thing anyone's learned from this thread is that slk drivers can be just as redneck as the guy in your aforementioned 'pos sh!tbox' 83 dodge pickup complete with gunrack and nra bumper sticker, but you're probably far more childish.

you shake off the criticism as jealousy or envy, but let me tell you - you're pretentious and you have a terrible attitude, you're ignorant and misguided. you're as transparent as they come- an insecure little boy hiding behind an acronym and a dirty white-collar. i could jump in the family s500 and play status whore, but that'd drop me to your level. only the basest of idiots need to reinforce their own worth to themselves in such a superficial way.

let me guess. stumbled on some cash, tossed it at the nearest benz you could find, expected the rest of the world to do an about face and lap at your heels. you're what we call new money- no class, no tact, unworthy of respect or even acknowledgement. good luck with life; i'll bet you're a real pain in the ass to be around.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: pclstyle
heh, op thought tossing around a model would garner some sort of divine awe -- only thing anyone's learned from this thread is that slk drivers can be just as redneck as the guy in your aforementioned 'pos sh!tbox' 83 dodge pickup complete with gunrack and nra bumper sticker, but you're probably far more childish.

you shake off the criticism as jealousy or envy, but let me tell you - you're pretentious and you have a terrible attitude, you're ignorant and misguided. you're as transparent as they come- an insecure little boy hiding behind an acronym and a dirty white-collar. i could jump in the family s500 and play status whore, but that'd drop me to your level. only the basest of idiots need to reinforce their own worth to themselves in such a superficial way.

let me guess. stumbled on some cash, tossed it at the nearest benz you could find, expected the rest of the world to do an about face and lap at your heels. you're what we call new money- no class, no tact, unworthy of respect or even acknowledgement. good luck with life; i'll bet you're a real pain in the ass to be around.

This is why I love your replies.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001

Umm, you just did.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Originally posted by: MaxDepth
So Mill, ya got highbeams?

I didn't think it was that cold...
;)
LOL and glad I wasn't drinking anything.

Hey Mill, it is not the high-beams OK? If you would get off the phone and stay in your lane, I would quit doing it! jk

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I don't know why you bother explaining yourself. There are members of this board who others feel they have to respond negatively to. You just happen to be that person for many of the users here. Whatever you say will elicit some kind of negative reaction. Why even pay attention anymore!

: ) Amanda

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

*yawn*

Really, if you can't read then there is no reason to call me ignorant. The first several replies mentioned foglights, Sylvania Silverstars and blue-tinted bulbs -- as well as suggesting that I needed to aim my lights. I mentioned nothing of the model or make of my car, in fact I never mentioned the make. I simply said these are stock lights on my SLK. That's hardly "tossing around a model." I'm sorry that you and others get butthurt, but I mentioned it once in a thread of 140 posts. If I'm pretentious, then you you've managed to ebscond with that flaw and save it all for yourself.

Pray tell, what acronym am I hiding behind? My name on this forum is certainly not one. I find it funny that I'm "bragging" when I mentioned I have stock lights and the car model, but you then decide to imply that you are "old money." You somehow managed to 80 times as pretentious as I've ever been in my life and managed to drop a model of a car in the thread that had no relevance.

Actually, no. Who is "you" by the way? A motley crew of 6th grade Boston windbags? I bought my car because I liked it, and it certainly wasn't the "nearest" one I could find. In fact, I ordered in June and picked it up in Germany in October. I had to wait to get my desired options. I could not care less about the brand other than getting a discount for doing Euro delivery. I still own my Ford and I've owned as many domestic cars as I've owned imports. *shrug* It sounds like you and others are the ones caught up in brand. I mention a relevant fact (that my lights are stock and the model of the vehicle), and it somehow turns into me showing off? If I wanted to show off it wouldn't be concerning my car. Search for my name. How many threads have I made concerning it? One. I've had it for over nine months.

There are plenty of people on this board that know me personally in real life or through PMs. Ask them if I'm pretentious or give a damn. I enjoy cars, nothing more and nothing less. I made a rant thread because I find it funny that people flash their lights because they think my highbeams are on. In the common AT way (as of late) instead of considering what I think to be a possibility it must be something else. Either mis-aimed lights, a thinly-veiled brag thread, aftermarket HID, or whatever someone could quickly type in. It is none of it. It is what I said it is. People see something different and flash. You don't like my conclusion then get bent. There is no "catch" in this thread. It isn't a brag thread. There's nothing wrong with my car, and I don't have aftermarket lights. That takes care of about 88% of the posts. The other 12% are just clueless flamers like yourself.

Speaking

Of "bragging" or being pretentious

You easily

better

me on mentioning your car

Yep

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: ohtwell
I don't know why you bother explaining yourself. There are members of this board who others feel they have to respond negatively to. You just happen to be that person for many of the users here. Whatever you say will elicit some kind of negative reaction. Why even pay attention anymore!

: ) Amanda

As you know, I only truly care about what long time members and people I know think. Everyone else is just trying to get points for being a flamer.

Slappy00

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2002
glad i got a cheapo nissan.

I don't see the big deal in HIDs anyways "They are brighter and help me see the road better "

you know the funny thing is that most of these folks who drive the AMGs 7-series and whatever, they live in the city (or rich burbs) where everything is lit the fvck up all night. Yet they need more light for some reason. I dont know of ANY people in the rural parts of Illinois that drive a HID'd-out 7-series or whatever and they (along with the rest of the population) get along fine with inferior halogen lamps in the backest of nights. Face it its a status symbol.

As a side rant today I was behind some douche in a H3 going through a construction zone. This fool slowed down to like 10mph go over a 3" (raised off of the ground) plate they set down to cover a hole while they worked on something else. I swear driving in the city makes me want to ride a bicycle.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
I don't care if HID's are legal or not, those fvcking things blind me when the car they're attached to is driving by. I'll flash them when it happens.

RedArmy

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2005
If anyone ever flashed me with their lights when I was just using my regular ons I would turn my highbeams on for a second to let them know.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Originally posted by: RedArmy
If anyone ever flashed me with their lights when I wa just using my regular ons I would turn my highbeams on for a second to let them know.
I knew I wasn't the only one ;)
My first car with halogens was the same way. Even though the lights were aligned correctly (they used to inspect for that in Florida), I would get flashed because they were brighter than regular old-fashion lights. And when the smart a would flip onto high to "get me", I would get the last laugh.