Please stop flashing your lights at me

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Originally posted by: Baked
HID cars are driven by aholes.

they drive with thier butts on thier steeringwheels? or they have a special attachment on the bottom cushion of thier seat? either way thats some talent.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Originally posted by: jlbenedict
Originally posted by: Sraaz
People flash their lights at me all the time. I think it's because my lights are aimed slightly too high, but I can see fine so I don't care.

You are indeed a prick

Only when I drive. There's a certain degree of anonymity that I can exploit and do whatever the fvck I want for a brief period.

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
I get people flashing their lights at me all the time when my brights aren't on and I drive a dinky Hyundai Accent with stock lights. I also notice that people like to turn their brights back on RIGHT BEFORE they pass me so that I get blinded a split second before they're gone. People are stupid.

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Originally posted by: ohtwell
Well, as I am not a redneck and do not drive a POS, I can flash you if I think you have your highbeams on! :p:p

: ) Amanda

OMG! HI AMANDA!!

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Mill
OMG, an ohtwell sighting.
Ah! They are very rare these days! Since I am on summer break I find that I have more time to nef..... I mean post! :)

: ) Amanda

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
This has to stop. It doesn't happen every night, but it happens enough to be annoying. Some moron in a POS shitbox will flash their lights as I pass them because they think I have my brights on. Nope. Just HIDs. My lights are LESS likely to blind someone because they auto-balance and aim even when going around a curve or taking a turn. Flashing your lights at me because you are an idiot redneck is getting old. Now, please die. :)

Are these aftermarket HID bulbs or did they actually come with the car from the factory, along with reflectors that are built specifically for handling HID light?

You can't just install HID lights into a reflector that isn't made for HID lighting. You WILL blind everyone on the road, and you'll be a jackass for it. Even bigger jackass for jumping on an internet forum to complain about those who flash you for your jackassery.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Another factor that may be involved is the phenomenon that may have occurred with the introduction of halogen lamps in the early 1980's. Drivers are attracted to headlamps that are different colors than would normally be seen. As such, the drivers may look directly at oncoming headlamps during driving to see the unfamiliar item. This is something that they do not normally do. Initial halogen headlamp introduction elicited some glare complaints, even though the first halogens used were actually very similar in performance to the standard non-halogens headlamps. The only marked difference was the color of the halogen headlamps.

EXACTLY! Stop staring at them you retards! I'll admit that HIDs still catch my eye every now and then, but they neither blind nor distract me. You DO have the option of not staring at them.

I'd rather face auto-leveling HIDs than incorrectly aimed halogens any time.

It's like how all the retards have to slow down and look when there's an accident on the other side of the interstate.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Originally posted by: GuideBot
This has to stop. It doesn't happen every night, but it happens enough to be annoying. Some moron in a POS shitbox will flash their lights as I pass them because they think I have my brights on. Nope. Just HIDs. My lights are LESS likely to blind someone because they auto-balance and aim even when going around a curve or taking a turn. Flashing your lights at me because you are an idiot redneck is getting old. Now, please die. :)

Are these aftermarket HID bulbs or did they actually come with the car from the factory, along with reflectors that are built specifically for handling HID light?

You can't just install HID lights into a reflector that isn't made for HID lighting. You WILL blind everyone on the road, and you'll be a jackass for it. Even bigger jackass for jumping on an internet forum to complain about those who flash you for your jackassery.

He already mentioned that they are factory.

After market "HIDs" are worthless.. generally nothing more than blue bulbs.

Factory installed set ups, OTOH, are fantastic.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: supafly
He already mentioned that they are factory.

After market "HIDs" are worthless.. generally nothing more than blue bulbs.

Factory installed set ups, OTOH, are fantastic.

Ah, that's what I get for not reading the entire thread. Still, there's got to be a reason why opposing drivers continue to flash their lights at him.

Not all aftermarket HID bulbs are regular bulbs painted blue or something. I dunno where YOU shop :p

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
I never said a word about foglights. Neither you or daniel can read. My lights work perfectly fine. I've driven a vehicle in front of my own car many times, and if anything they create less glare than normal lights.
Glare isn't what blinds people. Contrast blinds people. If your lights are high intensity and you're driving in the dark, the contrast (which is calculated as the difference between maximum and minimum intensities divided by the sum of the same) is very high indeed. As a result, the pupil will want to contract, making them unable to see dark areas. Since these dark areas include the road, surroundings, and everything but your headlights, they are effectively blinded. High intensity headlights suck unless the person using them knows how to aim their headlights properly. You obviously don't.

So, how, exactly am I supposed to aim self-leveling lights? They are 100% fine. I had some friends drive in front of me tonight and they said it was fine.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

For all you idiots, the NHTSA says:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/glare.html

Don't cherry-pick your favorite sections.
Although the agency has seen advertising and received many complaints claiming that the light produced by HIDs is twice or three times as bright as that which is produced by halogen lamps, laboratory measurement, made by various parties, do not support these claims. HID light sources (bulbs) typically have about two to three times the available light flux (volume) of halogen light sources, but because of such an abundance of light, the HID optical design does not necessarily need to be as efficient at collecting and distributing light as a halogen system. The HID beam pattern is certainly more robust, providing more even and wider illumination and the potential for better visibility and comfort. This performance results in more light on the road surface and more of the roadway being illuminated. However, this additional light is not supposed to be projected upward from the lamp toward other drivers' eyes. During inclement weather, when the road surface is wet, the additional volume of light can result in higher levels of light reflected off the road surface into other drivers' eyes. However, those who have complained about HID glare have not specifically reported inclement weather as the only time when there is a problem with HID glare.

Another factor that may be involved is the phenomenon that may have occurred with the introduction of halogen lamps in the early 1980's. Drivers are attracted to headlamps that are different colors than would normally be seen. As such, the drivers may look directly at oncoming headlamps during driving to see the unfamiliar item. This is something that they do not normally do. Initial halogen headlamp introduction elicited some glare complaints, even though the first halogens used were actually very similar in performance to the standard non-halogens headlamps. The only marked difference was the color of the halogen headlamps. If this is the case now, one would expect glare complaints about HIDs to stop when drivers become familiar with the HID color. NHTSA is aware of no studies or evidence to suggest that this theory is correct.

Another factor that may lead to the perception that HIDs are significantly brighter than halogen lamps is that human eyes may be more sensitive to bluish-white light of HIDs than to yellowish-white light of halogens. When observing some HIDs, it may seem that they are not emitting white light, as required by Standard No. 108. However, when observing the beam pattern projected on a white screen, HID headlamps that comply with our lighting standard will appear to be white with color separations occurring only at the extreme edges of the pattern. Non-halogen, halogen, and HID light sources appear to be different colors to observers. Non-halogen lamps appear to be yellow when compared to halogen lamps, and halogen lamps appear to be yellow when compared to HIDs.

In a recent study by the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute (Flannagan, M. J.; 1999, ASubjective and Objective Aspects of Headlamp Glare: Effects of Size and Spectral Power Distribution," Report No. UMTRI-99-36, available in Docket Number: NHTSA-2001-8885-3) the differences reported between halogen versus HID lamps caused a small but statistically significant difference in discomfort glare noted by observers. However, it had no effect on disability glare. It is not known yet whether it is the difference in spectral power density of these headlamps, but this difference in the human eye's glare response to these different lamp designs is shown in that study.

HIDs are not just more white (having less yellow content and more blue content in the emitted spectrum), but the light is generated in a different manner. HIDs achieve light by having vaporized metallic salts participate in the electrical current flow through an arc in the bulb capsule. This is contrasted to a heated metal filament which gives a relatively even level of light at all colors in the spectrum, and thus achieves smoother white light. The HIDs blend of metallic salts is designed such that the different salts, emitting different colors of light with different energy levels, will complement each other when fully heated and electricity is passed through them, because each salt contributes various frequencies of light and at different levels of energy. The result is white light, but with a few relatively high energy spikes of light at very narrow bandwidths. These spikes are obvious in a mapping of the spectral power density of the light emitted. (See Docket Number: NHTSA-2001-8885-4, USA Today, June 7, 2001, "Bright Lights, Big Controversy" by James R. Healey, page 1, the side bar Aharsh blue light contributes to glare"). This comparison shows that the light spectrum of HIDs is not as smooth as the light from a heated filament in a halogen lamp. It is possible that our eyes are not necessarily reacting to the whiter light, but to the high energy spikes that rise above a background energy achieving the white light. If this is a cause for the UMTRI findings, it may be that a redesign of the HID system is necessary. However, this is just a theory, with no supporting data. NHTSA is initiating research to study all potential factors that may be causing HIDs to be an annoying lighting source.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
And everything you quoted was a possibility just as what I quoted. You did just as much cherry picking. Fact remains, HIDs have been approved by the NHTSA and the governing bodies of Europe and Australia.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
And everything you quoted was a possibility just as what I quoted. You did just as much cherry picking. Fact remains, HIDs have been approved by the NHTSA and the governing bodies of Europe and Australia.

No, I posted the whole section, so that people could read the bolded parts AND the context, and make an informed decision, not just have to take what I say at face value.

Obviously they're not illegal, but they're still annoying and hard for other drivers to deal with. Besides, whether or not something is legal is an awful way of determining whether or not something is a good idea.

In my state, gay marriage is illegal, bestiality is not, weed is illegal, and alcohol is not.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: jagec

No, I posted the whole section, so that people could read the bolded parts AND the context, and make an informed decision, not just have to take what I say at face value.

Obviously they're not illegal, but they're still annoying and hard for other drivers to deal with. Besides, whether or not something is legal is an awful way of determining whether or not something is a good idea.

In my state, gay marriage is illegal, bestiality is not, weed is illegal, and alcohol is not.

We aren't talking legality. We are talking the safety recommendations and allowances by a panel made up of scientists and policy-makers.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
If these are aftermarket HID's, you might want to look at the headlight assemblies a little more closely. They don't autolevel, and are illegal. If you do, indeed, drive an SLK, you've forgotten the cardinal rule of a Mercedes. Your headlamps are broken, and aren't autoleveling, or even better, are stuck in bright mode.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
We aren't talking legality. We are talking the safety recommendations and allowances by a panel made up of scientists and policy-makers.

You trust policymakers?

I'm not saying that HIDs should be illegal. I'm just saying that as a socially conscious citizen who doesn't like to antagonize others, I won't get them, and I wish that others wouldn't either. Reason? Because they blind you. Yes, they fall under the "safety recommendations"...would you drink tap water that was just barely under the government approved "safety levels" for lead, cadmium, and mercury?

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001

THe idiocy of this post just boggles the mind.

If you are being flashed, it means there is a problem.... and the problem lies with your lights

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
Originally posted by: jlbenedict
People flash their lights at me all the time. I think it's because my lights are aimed slightly too high, but I can see fine so I don't care.

You are indeed a prick

Only when I drive. There's a certain degree of anonymity that I can exploit and do whatever the fvck I want for a brief period.

remember that when someone is performing a road rage beatdown on you.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..I wear RayBan Ambermatics at night cause so many are driving around wit flame throwers for headlights.

Bullhonkie

Golden Member
Sep 28, 2001
I guess I'm in the minority but I've never had problems with HIDs blinding me unless they're horribly misleveled. I actually find they omit less glare and I don't have to look away as much to avoid killing my night vision.

tjaisv

Banned
Oct 7, 2002
Originally posted by: dxkj

THe idiocy of this post just boggles the mind.

If you are being flashed, it means there is a problem.... and the problem lies with your lights

Agreed.