Path of Exile 3.0 Discussion

Page 62 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I just annointed Heart of flame myself on Xoph ammy for a big damage boost. 32c like rstrohkirch said. I even had to buy the clear oils since I didn't have any that low (ignored on my filter). Just bought like 100 of them since the first guy I messaged was selling 100 per 4 chaos.

Yeah golden has come WAY down then. I think it was like 60C+ when I bought it.
I'm ok on C right now... maybe 120C or so in the bank and a few 20-40C items on the trade block. Thanks though!

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Just had an exalt drop in delve. I'm in the market for a 6L body armor but not sure what's worthwhile. Currently my armor, evasion and chaos resistance are all low. So if I could get 2 of those along with some ES, I think it would be good but there doesn't seem to be anything great on the trade.
Do people have change for exalts or should I trade it for C before I start trying to buy armor?

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Just had an exalt drop in delve. I'm in the market for a 6L body armor but not sure what's worthwhile. Currently my armor, evasion and chaos resistance are all low. So if I could get 2 of those along with some ES, I think it would be good but there doesn't seem to be anything great on the trade.
Do people have change for exalts or should I trade it for C before I start trying to buy armor?

The way defensives work in this game is that you have to invest in them to get you any meaning result. So buying a evasion chest doesn't really do anything if you aren't building on that defense. For you, you would want a ES chest that has a good life roll on it. You could find a decent chest for around 25c right now. So I would do as you thought and sell the exalt for chaos. From there I would suggest you put added power charge on crit and added lightning damage as your 5th/6th links and buy a pair of Void Battery wands. Those two things will triple your current damage.

Chest: https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Scourge/vPb6Z4LSE
Void Battery Wands: https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Scourge/eRy9IL

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
I haven't been paying to the maps I've been scourging to tier 10. I was planning to collect a few and run them all at once. Looks like I bricked most of them, pretty much impossible for me to do. I don't know if I got unlucky but all of them have 'take physical damage when you shift in and out of nightmare'. The damage ranges from 6000 to 24000 (lol). Some of them also have mods such as lose 2100 life per second. Almost all of them have the 0.2% of life damaged per 1% of blood, which again is 20% of life per second at 100%, on top of everything else. Not that I would ever survive the physical damage.

I am going to start paying more attention instead of just blindly scourging lol, lesson learned.

However the loot seemed OK. Example from a max scourged tier 2 map. Only picked up currency and maps. However, it does take a while to scourge a map 10 times. I'm guessing it's best to scourge red tier maps a few times and run.
5.png

I'll look at stacking armour or maybe molten shell but that might be useless on the random shift in/out of nightmare. Or I just suicide and try to get as much rewards as possible.

Last edited:

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
You really don't get any bonus to scourge red vs yellow vs white. Just make it rare with 20+ pack size and roll whites. I did notice for me that the primary negative mods are there in the first 1-3 scourge levels. So you can swap them out pretty quick if you rolls something like a physical mod.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
You really don't get any bonus to scourge red vs yellow vs white. Just make it rare with 20+ pack size and roll whites. I did notice for me that the primary negative mods are there in the first 1-3 scourge levels. So you can swap them out pretty quick if you rolls something like a physical mod.

There's no reason to roll reds over whites? Damn it all.
I'm still trying to krangle all the gear for that challenge too. T3 takes FOREVER

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
There's no reason to roll reds over whites? Damn it all.
I'm still trying to krangle all the gear for that challenge too. T3 takes FOREVER

No, which is a bit odd. Obviously you'll want to be in red maps anyway as you progress but in terms of levels of scourge for items or the passive points...doesn't matter.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
No, which is a bit odd. Obviously you'll want to be in red maps anyway as you progress but in terms of levels of scourge for items or the passive points...doesn't matter.
well at least it give use to all those T1 maps laying around in my inventory.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
The way defensives work in this game is that you have to invest in them to get you any meaning result. So buying a evasion chest doesn't really do anything if you aren't building on that defense. For you, you would want a ES chest that has a good life roll on it. You could find a decent chest for around 25c right now. So I would do as you thought and sell the exalt for chaos. From there I would suggest you put added power charge on crit and added lightning damage as your 5th/6th links and buy a pair of Void Battery wands. Those two things will triple your current damage.

Chest: https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Scourge/vPb6Z4LSE
Void Battery Wands: https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Scourge/eRy9IL
Thanks. I was under the impression that you wanted layered defense. Guess my evasion is so low that adding a bit isn't going to help much.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Thanks. I was under the impression that you wanted layered defense. Guess my evasion is so low that adding a bit isn't going to help much.

You're correct in that but the layers are a bit different than what you're thinking. Primary layer is Armour, evasion or ES. Then your secondary layers are things like block, spell suppression, damage absorption means, life gained on whatever, endurance charges, guard skills, etc. So an evasion based character would have evade as the base defense and then they would supplement that with spell suppression, possibly block, possibly alignment avoidance, etc.

Reactions: JTsyo

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
You're correct in that but the layers are a bit different than what you're thinking. Primary layer is Armour, evasion or ES. Then your secondary layers are things like block, spell suppression, damage absorption means, life gained on whatever, endurance charges, guard skills, etc. So an evasion based character would have evade as the base defense and then they would supplement that with spell suppression, possibly block, possibly alignment avoidance, etc.

To add to that as well, the type of "base" (armour, evasion or ES) can largely depend on what type of character you chose too. A Marauder is going to have more strength nodes in his branch naturally, and armor base is going to be predicated on having a lot of strength points. It's not ALWAYS the case, but the class you start off with will more often than not likley determine that base defense you end up going with do to applicable gear that works with them.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Taking my shield off reduced my elem resistances. Made some of it back with a new amulet. Can you use oils to get Diamond Skin on a ring? The amulet is corrupted.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Taking my shield off reduced my elem resistances. Made some of it back with a new amulet. Can you use oils to get Diamond Skin on a ring? The amulet is corrupted.

No. You need to anoint amulets for skill tree nodes.
Ring anointment is for buffs to blight towers

usually, you're going to get the bulk of your resists from 2 x Rings, Amulet and/or belt.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Arggghhh.... reason #523 not to play at 4am when you can't sleep

Launched Sirus and realized it was still at awakening level 8. I just launched another map and didn't even try - no sense in wasting my time.
I don't think I'm even going to bother trying to beat him at this point. Just going to knock out the challenges that I can and keep beating on Maven

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
That sucks. I haven't even attempted sirus yet this league. Didn't play for a few days and then last night I played all my scourge maps that I could. Had to buy a levelled purity of fire to do a fire damage on shift... it was leaving me with less than 100hp on shift so I was barely surviving. Must have died 50 times doing all my scourge (the unbricked ones), but I made some nice currency. Now just to bother with selling all it.... such a hassle lol.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
That sucks. I haven't even attempted sirus yet this league. Didn't play for a few days and then last night I played all my scourge maps that I could. Had to buy a levelled purity of fire to do a fire damage on shift... it was leaving me with less than 100hp on shift so I was barely surviving. Must have died 50 times doing all my scourge (the unbricked ones), but I made some nice currency. Now just to bother with selling all it.... such a hassle lol.

Honestly, I just pull up the going rate off the trade site(s) and if its something like 1C to 13.8 chrome, I just undercut and post for 1/14. Wait like 2 mins and the hounds come to your door step in floods. Maybe you lose a few C in the end, but in the time saved you could run more maps and make up for it. And I tend to only respond to those people looking for multiple C worth... easier to just dump in large sums

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
Oh I almost always undercut, I just don't bother converting most of my stuff to chaos/exalts though. Like right now I have hundreds of essences, hundred of blight oils, over 120 stacked decks (this one I could sell very easy), dozens of scarabs, delve stuff, etc etc., can't be bothered to price it all. It just sits and moves to standard lol.
Scourge maps are loot pinatas and currency values dropped hard this league I think. Not worth it pick up stuff like six socket items at all anymore.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Oh I almost always undercut, I just don't bother converting most of my stuff to chaos/exalts though. Like right now I have hundreds of essences, hundred of blight oils, over 120 stacked decks (this one I could sell very easy), dozens of scarabs, delve stuff, etc etc., can't be bothered to price it all. It just sits and moves to standard lol.
Scourge maps are loot pinatas and currency values dropped hard this league I think. Not worth it pick up stuff like six socket items at all anymore.

Yeah a lot of that crap I just put a price on the tab and if it sells within reason so be it (scarabs for example, I know I'm giving some of them away, but at X Chaos it's worth my effort to A) Sell it and B) not have to granularly price everything. I'm happy. They're happy. Move on with life

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I put together a Fireball Hierophant for 3.17. Not sure if I'm going to run it yet or not. Sustained single target DPS is around 4.5m to 5.5m and EHP is around 6.5k. It's setup to swap greater volley or GMP for clearing which gives around 20 to 25 projectiles and 2m DPS . Total gearing is pretty reasonable for pricing as well.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I put together a Fireball Hierophant for 3.17. Not sure if I'm going to run it yet or not. Sustained single target DPS is around 4.5m to 5.5m and EHP is around 6.5k. It's setup to swap greater volley or GMP for clearing which gives around 20 to 25 projectiles and 2m DPS . Total gearing is pretty reasonable for pricing as well.

Funny you post this. I picked up a lvl20 Fireball gem drop yesterday and it got me thinking "you never see any fireball builds... and "fireball" is about the most basic and classic fantasy spell known to man". Maybe I will give this a go. I just HATE having to have to do the acts again.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I agree it's annoying AF. At least with a full set of leveling uniques you can get it down to 3 hours for most people but it still sucks.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I agree it's annoying AF. At least with a full set of leveling uniques you can get it down to 3 hours for most people but it still sucks.

I say/think every league that I'd HAPPILY pay $20 every league if they allowed you to start at maps with enough skill points to spend. IDGAF about the "story" and the acts

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I say/think every league that I'd HAPPILY pay $20 every league if they allowed you to start at maps with enough skill points to spend. IDGAF about the "story" and the acts

They should just make it so if you get to maps all new characters in that league start at level 68 and all way points unlocked. Make it so people still have to go back through and get their quest skill points so that doesn't mess anything up and done.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
They should just make it so if you get to maps all new characters in that league start at level 68 and all way points unlocked. Make it so people still have to go back through and get their quest skill points so that doesn't mess anything up and done.

That would be a decent compromise. I just still don't see why starting them at lvl 68, giving them their level skill points and the skill points from the acts wouldn't be enough. Especially if you made it to maps already.

As a REAL bonus, allow me to pay at the start of the league and start me there with my first character. I'd pay EVERY time.

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
I feel like the acts could be condensed much further, like the multiple levels of the sun/moon temples in both acts, some of the huge zones could be cut down in size. Finally, a lot of the levelling items are not available to the average player during levelling, which is stupid because it makes the acts less fun for new players since they don't know what to get. Quests offer stupid rares and jewels when they should be giving levelling uniques.

They could even make all waypoints available on the 2nd character in the same league.

Of course, they're not going to do any of this lol.