Path of Exile 2.0 - Discussion

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
This thread inspired me to pickup this game again with over a year absence-I left before Act 4 began. Loving it so far but I have big problems with the final bosses in Acts 3 & 4.

Now playing HC one month event, flame totem witch (too old with too slow reactions to handle melee).

Anyway my point is my first and third unique drops with both Tabula Rasas. If anyone wants my spare who will actually use it gratis (versus trading it off) PM me. As I mentioned it is hardcore one month ladder league.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Not to be too mean, but when Slag was online in the guild complaining about difficulty, he was claiming that A4 Piety's laser was "impossible to dodge". When I suggested he use some form of increased movement (to allow for more lax reaction times), and suggested movement affixes on boots, quicksilver flasks, phase run, or any other movement skill, he got quite angry because he "thought this wasn't a game where you have to build a certain way" and logged off.

I think he just needs to stick with Diablo 3.

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
Not to be too mean, but when Slag was online in the guild complaining about difficulty, he was claiming that A4 Piety's laser was "impossible to dodge". When I suggested he use some form of increased movement (to allow for more lax reaction times), and suggested movement affixes on boots, quicksilver flasks, phase run, or any other movement skill, he got quite angry because he "thought this wasn't a game where you have to build a certain way" and logged off.

I think he just needs to stick with Diablo 3.

I think I've been able to run around A4 Normal Piety's laser with 0% movement speed gear

no idea if it spins faster in Cruel or Merciless but the laser mechanic is primarily about reacting to the long start up animation for it

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
That was my point. I assume his issue was slow reactions to the laser startup, and probably being too far away from her, movement speed DOES help with giving you a larger window to react/not having to run as close.

It doesn't spin faster on harder difficulties, but he was on normal.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Armor can negatively effect movement speed, so he may have been below 0%, but it just likely he was trying to dodge it from somewhere other than right next to her. It is also likely he isn't fully understanding the "you have can gear any way" interpretation. Sure, you can, but some things are going to make it easier, and move speed is certainly one of the best.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Armor can negatively effect movement speed, so he may have been below 0%, but it just likely he was trying to dodge it from somewhere other than right next to her. It is also likely he isn't fully understanding the "you have can gear any way" interpretation. Sure, you can, but some things are going to make it easier, and move speed is certainly one of the best.

Piety on Merciless is very rough with the orbs.
The beam hits like a truck, but I found with a quick press of a health flask you can bring yourself up or mitigate through a hit.
Movement speed definitely helps a lot

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
One month mods have changed, if you don't like Beyond now's your chance.

For me it just means it's time to try to grind to 85.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
One month mods have changed, if you don't like Beyond now's your chance.

For me it just means it's time to try to grind to 85.

I just hit 80 last night.. need push to 85 as well :)

On a side note I struck gold with a Rare drop..
Words just don't do justice .... look at the Spell damage + Cast speed :biggrin:

2qs09qc.jpg

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
There was a nice offer to give build tips. How would I provide the info for that? Would I just describe where I've put points so far and what sounds good? I've barely started.

Nov 29, 2006
I need to get in this ATOT guild you all are talking about. I dont play a ton. Couple times a week. Highest char is a 73 dual fire totem witch.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
There was a nice offer to give build tips. How would I provide the info for that? Would I just describe where I've put points so far and what sounds good? I've barely started.

Hi Craig

First things first... what type of character/play style are you interested in?
The Skill tree is huge and its easy to get lost not knowing which direction to take.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I need to get in this ATOT guild you all are talking about. I dont play a ton. Couple times a week. Highest char is a 73 dual fire totem witch.

You are more than welcome :)
Homer handles the invites, I am sure he will see this message and toss you an invite.
Please provide your in game character names etc.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Yeap just let me know your character name and I'll toss an invite.

I admit I have just been playing Standard and grinding with my dual totems. Farm some Lake. Do some maps. Wash, rinse repeat. I think I'm at level 81 now or something I dunno. I admit I die too much.

That being said, I have a stupid question -- I have accumulated all this damn currency now. WTF do I do with it all?

XiandreX that is one hell of a freaking drop.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011

I admit I have just been playing Standard and grinding with my dual totems. Farm some Lake. Do some maps. Wash, rinse repeat. I think I'm at level 81 now or something I dunno. I admit I die too much.

That being said, I have a stupid question -- I have accumulated all this damn currency now. WTF do I do with it all?

Accumulate enough to improve your gear for the High End fights like Atziri.
Get to the point where you could start a new class character on Standard and have enough to buy a 5L Weapon or a 6L Chestpiece.
Apparently the gear/skill check on Atziri is pretty big, especially Uber version.

It is indeed the best Rare drop I have ever got... by far

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Hi Craig

First things first... what type of character/play style are you interested in?
The Skill tree is huge and its easy to get lost not knowing which direction to take.

I don't know what's best but I picked a witch because I like mages and high damage magic sounds good. I've put points in +damage mostly so far. I read 'arc' (lightning?) is good?

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I don't know what's best but I picked a witch because I like mages and high damage magic sounds good. I've put points in +damage mostly so far. I read 'arc' (lightning?) is good?

From doing some research for you the following seems to meet you needs.
If you are still very low, consider restarting (early levels are very quick)

This guide explains that this is very beginner friendly, gear requirement
is very cheap and its lots of fun. :biggrin:

Arc is very good Aoe Dps, medium single target (from what I can gather)
but I am sure the others will chime in with better info. ;)

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1304510

The Skill tree for leveling should start like this... once you have this portion covered, the first link will show you the next step

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgMA34rpAv6zVyu9gm0Z37CCEAelAuNJsiyc

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Accumulate enough to improve your gear for the High End fights like Atziri.
Get to the point where you could start a new class character on Standard and have enough to buy a 5L Weapon or a 6L Chestpiece.
Apparently the gear/skill check on Atziri is pretty big, especially Uber version.

It is indeed the best Rare drop I have ever got... by far

I get I can use it to buy/upgrade stuff -- but that's mostly chaos orbs and the like. WTF do I do with 500 Alterations and junk like that? I burned through a million (still have a million more) Chromatics trying to get my sockets right on a 4L. I use the whetstones on hammers to get chisels to upgrade maps.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Also divination cards are about the most disappointing thing in the game. Such a rare drop and you need to get X of them to complete a set. And the sets are worth PURE CRAP.

sactwnguy

Apr 17, 2007
I get I can use it to buy/upgrade stuff -- but that's mostly chaos orbs and the like. WTF do I do with 500 Alterations and junk like that? I burned through a million (still have a million more) Chromatics trying to get my sockets right on a 4L. I use the whetstones on hammers to get chisels to upgrade maps.

Having a lot of Alts is good when you get into high level crafting. Read this thread about creating a high level Harbinger Bow and it will give you an idea how it works.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1250395

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Having a lot of Alts is good when you get into high level crafting. Read this thread about creating a high level Harbinger Bow and it will give you an idea how it works.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1250395

Sactwnguy beat me to it. :)
On a lot of builds having a minimum of a 5L chestpiece and 6L if you can somehow afford it, makes a HUGE difference on DPS etc.
Being able to craft the links takes a crap ton of Alts.
To be honest 500 Alts is nothing. :) It takes 150 Fusings to get 5L on Chestpiece through the Master, nevermind if you do it yourself (Rng dice rolls)

Nov 29, 2006

Infernalblood is my witches name