Path of Exile 2.0 - Discussion

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
What is holding me back is availability of tier 6+ maps which I need to level at any decent speed.
I 5 socketed my Chestpiece and within around 45 Fusings I 5 linked so I was lucky.
However.... even though its overkill.... I still want a 6L :)
Pipe dreams hehe.

I got lucky on my Saintly Chainmail piece and 5-linked in with 20 or so fusings. But then I lost 60+ and like a bunch of socketed rerolls on another Saintly Chainmail piace, because I wanted to go for 6L and not lose my 5L... lol... Now I am broke in those two currencies.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Lol.. misunderstanding here.

He means Orbs of Alteration or "Alts" for short. Not as in 500 different alternate characters.

Oh ok, I wondered if he meant something other than alternate character, leveling 500 alternate chars for crafting sounded pretty insane.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I'm just going to drop 150 fusings and not gamble.

I fully understand, like I said I think I got lucky.

I got lucky on my Saintly Chainmail piece and 5-linked in with 20 or so fusings. But then I lost 60+ and like a bunch of socketed rerolls on another Saintly Chainmail piace, because I wanted to go for 6L and not lose my 5L... lol... Now I am broke in those two currencies.

I have very few fusings... seem to have terrible luck with drops.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Ok so I broke down and sold Alts to get jewelers to get fusings. Dropped 150 fusings on getting my mantle 5L'ed. From there it was wasting chromatics to get the colors I needed.

Ended up boosting my DPS on my flame totem from ~9.5K per totem to just south of 13K/totem (Iron Will still has to level up too, so it will go higher). AND now I have a TON of extra room in my stash :)

Now to find a wand/shield to increase my spell damage more too. AND I need to get serious about leveling as there's a few key passives I need to add on as well.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
With only a 5L wouldnt you want to be running with Added Chaos over Iron Will? or did the socket colors not pan out the way you were hoping?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
With only a 5L wouldnt you want to be running with Added Chaos over Iron Will? or did the socket colors not pan out the way you were hoping?

Correct. I should have mentioned that it didn't pan out the way I wanted running the chromatics. It was late and I just didn't want to mess with it anymore. I need to get it to 3B, 1R, 1G to run "properly". I'll give it another go soon. Still have 100+ chromatics to gamble with!

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
PoE is in my list of games I may attempt to get into. Minecraft, Diablo 3, WoW (to a very minor extent), Borderlands, and maybe another game or two had sustained me for a while, but I've grown tired of all of them as of late.

So... which class should I make? I'm not a newbie (despite my name) to gaming, so I don't need a hand-holding class. Being/feeling powerful is what's fun for me when it comes to games like this. So, what class in this game best gives the feeling/impression of being powerful? I'm trying to decide on a class.

I tried this game over a year ago, and I got a duelist to level 6. It didn't absorb me at all in that time, but I'm assuming that had a lot to do with me not sticking it out for a little while longer.

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
What you need to do first is find a BUILD that you want to play (just dig through the POE forums there are dozens and dozens) Most builds will be doable from a few different classes -- each with varying degrees of differences. The build you want to play with will help narrow down the class.

If you like to "tank" then you're going to likely end up being a marauder or templar, but even then you have a million different builds/branches to go off of.

Nov 29, 2006
Correct. I should have mentioned that it didn't pan out the way I wanted running the chromatics. It was late and I just didn't want to mess with it anymore. I need to get it to 3B, 1R, 1G to run "properly". I'll give it another go soon. Still have 100+ chromatics to gamble with!

What are you running on your flame totems?

I have (R) Flame Totem, (R) Fire Penetration, (G) Faster Projectiles, (B) Faster Casting. And leveling (B) Added Chaos Damage and (R) Iron Will. Only have a 4L so cant add them to my totems at the moment.

So im assuming the best 6L would be 3R, 2B, 1G? At least the way ive been going.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
What are you running on your flame totems?

I have (R) Flame Totem, (R) Fire Penetration, (G) Faster Projectiles, (B) Faster Casting. And leveling (B) Added Chaos Damage and (R) Iron Will. Only have a 4L so cant add them to my totems at the moment.

So im assuming the best 6L would be 3R, 2B, 1G? At least the way ive been going.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Homerboy/characters

Should be able to see everything she has there.

I don't use Fire Pen as I just cast flammability constantly.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Jax, what is wrong with option B? I ask because that's generally how I approach buying from people. :-/

I have no idea which of my 15+ shop tabs a "dragon nail axe" is in. The poe.trade default whisper will tell me what buyout it is listed for so I can go to the correctly-priced tab and find the item quickly. The "verify" button on poe.trade will tell the buyer whether or not I still have the item without wasting any of my time answering inane questions.

For a high ticket item, something that costs 10+ exalted orbs, why not heckle a bit? I mean, I know there is the asking price on POE, but I am sure even some sellers would be fine with an offer that might be slightly lower. Not talking a low-baller, but some feedback for an item, or some offer is better than no offer, especially if the price is set way too high.

That said, on cheap items that are like 5C or so, I'd say waste of time for both parties to heckle.

The issue isn't bartering, but rather the lack of respect for the seller's time.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Homerboy/characters

Should be able to see everything she has there.

I don't use Fire Pen as I just cast flammability constantly.

Fire penetration gem is literally the best link you can use.

So IT'S TIME FOR A PRIMER ON RESISTANCES IN PATH OF EXILE~!

All mobs have some amount of resistances. Some mobs types have 0% fire resist. Some mob types have 0-75%. Some map mods provide resistances. Mobs can be overcapped on resistances just like players can. MOST bosses are ~25-75% resist all, and when stacked with map mods will be very overcapped on resistances. And finally, curses have drastically reduced effectiveness vs map bosses.

Resistance curses lower the REAL resistance value. So if you have 100 resistance, capped to 75, and you take a curse that is -40, you still have 60 out of your capped 75 resist. Monsters work this way as well. HOWEVER, penetration as a stat (passive tree, certain mace implicits, some unique items, and penetration gems) LOWERS THE CAP OF THE TARGET'S RESISTANCES. If you use a 35% penetration gem vs a mob with 100 resistance capped at 75, his resistance is then going to be 40 (75 cap reduced to 40).

Penetration gems (and to a lesser extent curses) act as a "more" multiplier on your damage. Against a 0% resist mob, any form of penetration you get is a simple damage multiplier (i.e. 35% penetration is 35% MORE damage, multiplicative with everything else you have). However, against resistant mobs, penetration can double (or more) your actual damage dealt.

Penetration gems suck for tooltip dps, but they are 100% the best possible gem socket you can use for any elemental spell. PERIOD.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I knew jax was going to come in here and lay down some education on all these topics :)

Consider Fire Pen added!

Nov 29, 2006
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Orb_of_Fusing

Orbs of Fusing may be obtained from vendors. Yeena sells an Orb of Fusing in exchange for 4 Jeweller's Orbs. A level 6 Vorici sells 20 Orbs of Fusing in exchange for 64 Jeweller's Orbs once daily.

Need to start leveling my masters some. I always do them when i find them in zones. Think most are lvl 4 or 5. Maybe some at 6. Not sure, ill look when i get home.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Need to start leveling my masters some. I always do them when i find them in zones. Think most are lvl 4 or 5. Maybe some at 6. Not sure, ill look when i get home.

Yeah most of mine are 5... I dont think I have a 6 yet.
I just said "screw it" and paid the vendor prices. Don't care about the savings dealing with the master AND I'd only be able to do 20 per day -- that would have been a weeks worth. I wasted some $$ but got what I wanted.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Do fire pen and flammability not stack? I also use flammability constantly.

Edit: LOL NM Jax FTW

Yes, they stack. If you run 2+ curses (via passive notable at the top of the tree, Doedre's Damning ring, Windscream boots, or vaal corrupted implicit on amulet) you can even stack Flammability + Elemental Weakness with your fire pen. The damage amplification this gives is pretty awesome.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
FINALLY got a "Clear Mind" jewel - 51% spell damage increase.
Was just doing a ton of "Sacrifice at..." fragment maps Getting TONS of drops.
Now I need 10% more XP to go up a level and get the passive socket to use it.

So what does everyone do with their Tier 1/2 maps and junk?
Had a Tier 8 yellow map drop!!! Not even going to think about attempting that one anytime soon

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
I use my low tier maps to vendor with 20% rock breaker/stone hammer/gavels to make extra chisels.