panama papers

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Forgive me if I'm reading this wrong but you seem to be implying that if someone is found out to be guilty of impropriety that should be ignored if they otherwise gel with your political views?

That's not what I said at all. Out of the blue, Sonniku took a swipe at Hillary & Dems in general, likened it to the Trump phenomenon. There's nothing linking her to any of this, but Repubs' former champion is obviously up to his eyeballs in it, something they managed to overlook at the time, still do-

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/mitt-romney-s-tax-dodge-20121012

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Hold onto your butts guys!

The Editor in Chief of Süddeutsche Zeitung responded to the lack of United States individuals in the documents, saying to "Just wait for what is coming next".
tick...tock...tick...tock...*sits anxiously with arms crossed*

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
AND THIS JUST GOT A LOT BIGGER THAN A FEW AMERICAN OFFSHORE ACCOUNTS.

One day during his presidential re-election campaign in September 1996, Bill Clinton walked into a room in Westin Crown Center hotel in Kansas City, Mo. At stake was a quarter-million dollars in campaign fundraising. Clinton turned to his generous host, Farhad Azima, and led the guests in song.

“Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you….”

https://panamapapers.icij.org/20160405-spies-secret-offshore-companies.html

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
We couldnt have this fine data release without some of the leakers devolving into fighting among themselves now could we?

Seems that ICIJ and Wikileaks are now at each others throats.

swamplizard

Mar 18, 2016
AND THIS JUST GOT A LOT BIGGER THAN A FEW AMERICAN OFFSHORE ACCOUNTS.

https://panamapapers.icij.org/20160405-spies-secret-offshore-companies.html

Hi norseamd,

A few more tidbits may be in order to entice people to read these articles:

"Azima, an Iranian-born American charter airline executive, had long donated to both Democratic and Republican administrations. He visited the Clinton White House 10 times between October 1995 and December 1996, including private afternoon coffees with the president. Years later, as Hillary Clinton stood for election to the Senate in December 1999, Azima hosted her and 40 guests for a private dinner that raised $2,500 a head.

Azima’s Democratic fundraising activities provided an interesting twist in the career of a man who has found himself in a media storm of one of America’s major political scandals, the Iran-Contra affair, during the Republican Reagan Administration."

and...

"Another colorful connection to the CIA in the Mossack Fonseca files is Loftur Johannesson, now a wealthy silver-haired 85-year-old from Rekyavik, also known as The Icelander. Johannesson is widely reported in books and newspaper articles to have worked with the CIA in the 1970s and 1980s, supplying guns to anti-communist guerrillas in Afghanistan. With his CIA paychecks, The Icelander reportedly bought a home in Barbados and a vineyard in France.

Johannesson himself emerges in Mossack Fonseca’s files in September 2002, long after his retirement from secret service. He was connected to at least four offshore companies in the BVI and Panama linked to homes in high-priced locales, including one located behind London’s Westminster Cathedral and another in a beachfront Barbados complex where a similar home is now selling for $35 million. As recently as January 2015, Johannesson paid thousands of dollars to Mossack Fonseca for its services."

Holy crap, where will this all lead?

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Me thinks this whole story is just the tip of a MUCH larger iceberg and that many MANY other outfits have and are being used to hide money from the tax man.

I'm hoping the names of everyone involved are released and it's my guess that we'll see a majority are right leaning types but that a goodly number will be left leaning types are well -- maybe 2/3 versus 1/3. But, it could be closer to 1:!.

Brian

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Holy crap, where will this all lead?
And this is leaked from just one company in Panama.

I would think there are other companies doing this as well. It seems like it's rather lucrative for everyone involved.

Last edited:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Such a negative attitude.

International Banksters really laid the bone to Iceland during the financial crisis. They're also a small & tight knit society so they're very touchy about any sort of corruption relating to that, rightfully so.

America is different, of course. Repubs nominated a master of international finance for President in 2012 & none of them felt any qualms at all. The one year's tax return he didn't make public was the year the IRS allowed tax amnesty for previously undeclared offshore accounts.

Go figure.

It's beyond amusing to compare your posts, and 'principals', here to those in the Hillary email thread.

Over there you rage against unproven accusations, innuendo and speculation, yet here you gleefully and shamelessly promote it.

Fern

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It's beyond amusing to compare your posts, and 'principals', here to those in the Hillary email thread.

Over there you rage against unproven accusations, innuendo and speculation, yet here you gleefully and shamelessly promote it.

Fern

Wah. There's a difference between innuendo & revelations from a candidate's own declarations, isn't there?

Mitt *is* deeply involved with offshore investment & banking.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Wah. There's a difference between innuendo & revelations from a candidate's own declarations, isn't there?

Mitt *is* deeply involved with offshore investment & banking.
And Cankles Clinton is also mixed in all this too :D

Corruption for all your savior party members you bozos think represent you.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
And Cankles Clinton is also mixed in all this too :D

Corruption for all your savior party members you bozos think represent you.

Please. Clinton has no direct involvement even if some of his supporters do.

If you can't see the difference it's because you're willfully blind.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011

Fern

If your employed by the campaign why would you do that?

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Let's be honest. Nothing will come of this because the rich control the narrative. Not you or I. I have yet to see the MSM focus no more than 45 seconds to a minute on these leaks.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Please. Clinton has no direct involvement even if some of his supporters do.

If you can't see the difference it's because you're willfully blind.
Next time you make a connection post to a repub candidate (which you will and it will be correct too by the way) I'll be there to remind you of how hypercritical you are though.

Party hack boy

Mar 16, 2005
Shell_logo.svg

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The characterization of plausible deniability seems even too harsh in the Clinton case, not that I would be surprised if more was there.

The article with Americans tied to Panama Papers is funny. Indirect connections through known bad actors, already convicted for criminal acts, foreign-born or foreign-connected, and none with any known significant impact on our political or financial systems -- not to diminish $200M in fraudulent money. If anything, it highlights our ability to catch these crooks without the Panama papers, although not without them racking up big debts to us first.

More will likely come, but I found that decidedly non-juicy.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
The ICIJ is refusing to release most of the documents, and wikileaks is calling them out on it. Also, the investigative work and profiling on Putin?...they were funded by the US and Soros. Sad.

i2efCaz.jpg

Last edited: