panama papers

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Wikileaks will release the Panama Papers in less than 30 minutes. They supposedly deal with massive corruption, especially with offshore business and banking. Apparently it deals with Mossack Fonseca.

Billionaires, presidents, killers, banks, drug lords, ministers... in massive offshore leak. One hour to go. #PanamaPapers

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20160403/news/the-big-reveal-the-panama-papers

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/2016...rldwide-coverage-of-massive-panama-leaks-data

swamplizard

Mar 18, 2016
Greetings,

Did I read that correctly? Trail leads to Putin for 2 billion?

best regards,
swampy

swamplizard

Mar 18, 2016
Greetings,

There is no telling where the trail may lead. I would never have expected Iceland Cabinet members. Please keep posting links.

best regards,
swampy

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Suppose this is what you get when a former Waffen-SS soldier flees to Panama and sets up an international law firm.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
3 sitting Presidents, 1 sitting Prime Minister, and even 1 sitting King, no one else but the King Salman himself. And 5 former Prime Ministers, 1 former President, and even 1 former Emir.

https://panamapapers.icij.org/the_power_players/

LIONEL MESSI!!!!!

https://panamapapers.icij.org/20160403-panama-papers-global-overview.html

Interesting reads.

It's just putting the type of things everyone has known is going on in the open, not sure it will result in changing things much.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I bet Sanders supporters are combing through the docs looking for mention of Billary.

Fern

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
CfJACLGW8AAA9Iq.jpg:large

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Can someone please explain what these Panama Papers are?

A data leak from Mossack Fonseca. Süddeutsche Zeitung, Wikileaks, The Guardian, and over a hundred other media organizations are the ones who have been organizing the public release of this scandal.

Feb 4, 2009
A data leak from Mossack Fonseca. Süddeutsche Zeitung, Wikileaks, The Guardian, and over a hundred other media organizations are the ones who have been organizing the public release of this scandal.

What's it have to do with Panama?

sontakke

Aug 8, 2001
Can this be linked to Edward Scissorhand? If so, he must be trembling sitting in Russiw now. Yes it is a joke.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
I'm trying to find info about the leak. How reputable is this data?

Reputable enough that the BBC, the Guardian, Le Monde, L'espresso, Wikileaks, several German public radio or TV agencies, and quite a few more international newspapers all effectively vouch for it.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
A few quick thoughts

- Wow!!

- That's probably the end of that law firm. Damn, I would hate to be them. They'll likely be dealing with all kinds of panicked clients and other lawyers etc. They made a mistake somewhere. Some of their clients seem like very powerful, and very nasty types. I'd be fearful of retribution if I were them.

- The IT Director guy is a walking dead man.

- IT Directors at other large international law firms are getting urgent calls today and will be very busy in coming days and weeks.

- Politicians required to report investment holdings could be very nervous right now, particularly if the forms are signed under penalty of perjury etc.

- Some people might have a lot 'splaining to do, cuz bribes and kickbacks.

- Bribes and kickbacks are generally taxable income, not reporting them can be a big problem.

- Any foreign banks subject to cooperation/disclosure agreements may also have some explaining to do. Who was that recently got popped? Credit Suisse? Could be more on the way.

- If anyone mentioned in a US citizen or resident they damn well better have reported those accounts (FATCA). Penalties are steep.

- If anybody (the DoJ for us) requires intent to prosecute for criminal tax fraud, having legal memos from lawyers outlining the plans etc is a windfall proving criminal intent.

- INAL, so am wondering about the 4th amendment and tainted evidence. I'm guessing these docs were hacked or otherwise stolen and wonder if that affects admissibility etc.

This should be fun to watch.

Fern