P&Ns middle name is and

Page 1590 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Been having a REALLY hard time understanding how all the Confederate, Nazi, Trump etc… flags are patriotic…. Can anyone help me here?
Read up on the effects that cults have on the mind.
And don't think for a moment that the current Trump republicans are not a cult.

Reactions: hal2kilo

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
If these were scientists I think this paper would be career suicide. Good thing they're only economists and we don't expect them to know much anyway 🤣

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021
Been having a REALLY hard time understanding how all the Confederate, Nazi, Trump etc… flags are patriotic…. Can anyone help me here?

They think their nation is the confederacy or Nazi Germany? I dunno man, seems really weird to me too. Maybe they are just crazy fascists who like to express themselves with their symbols of fascism?

I'd say that's probably what it is.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Rym5qug.jpeg

Xo4gjo9.jpeg

RhAqKsI.jpeg

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Just reminds me how revolting Cleese's political views have always been. Can't deny he's a talented comedian, but he's always been insufferable in his 'both sides' centrism. I remember his 1980s self-help-psychology books being particularly annoying, with their pop-psyche argument for voting Lib Dem. He was Moonbeam before Moonbeam was Moonbeam (now I think about it, his position was essentially the same as P&Ns wanna-be mystic, just better expressed).

In practice everything he says here applies to supposed centrists and self-styled 'moderates'. Being a 'moderate' means you can spit hate at _twice_ as many people. This is exactly how the likes of Nick Cohen behave.

Edit - I remain a big fan of his comedic work. I guess like Ricky Gervaise or Steve Coogan, he used his own flaws as material for his art - there's clearly a lot of Cleese in Fawlty as there is Gervaise in David Brent and Coogan in Alan Partridge. That doesn't mean one has to like the performer themselves, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: zinfamous

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Just reminds me how revolting Cleese's political views have always been. Can't deny he's a talented comedian, but he's always been insufferable in his 'both sides' centrism. I remember his 1980s self-help-psychology books being particularly annoying, with their pop-psyche argument for voting Lib Dem. He was Moonbeam before Moonbeam was Moonbeam (now I think about it, his position was essentially the same as P&Ns wanna-be mystic, just better expressed).

In practice everything he says here applies to supposed centrists and self-styled 'moderates'. Being a 'moderate' means you can spit hate at _twice_ as many people. This is exactly how the likes of Nick Cohen behave.

Edit - I remain a big fan of his comedic work. I guess like Ricky Gervaise or Steve Coogan, he used his own flaws as material for his art - there's clearly a lot of Cleese in Fawlty as there is Gervaise in David Brent and Coogan in Alan Partridge. That doesn't mean one has to like the performer themselves, though.
I've only known and loved his comedy. It's OK to stay in your lane.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I agree.

He's always been an obnoxious twat, but keeps the funny where the funny belongs.