P&N Religion Poll

What are you?

• Agnostic

• Atheist

• Buddhist

• Christian (Catholic, Orthodox, Coptic)

• Christian (Protestant / Non-denominational)

• Hindu

• Jewish

• Muslim

• Spiritual but not religious

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
We've had a lot of polls about political views, but what about religious views? Do P&N posters religious views shape their political views?

I'd guess most posters are agnostic/atheist but we'll see... Remember maximum poll options were 10

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Poll not found.

I'm non-religious. I would claim agnostic/atheist but that's always a shitstorm of a discussion.

The poll should be there.

Agnostic is "I don't know either way or probably not but I can't prove a negative."
Atheist is "God does not exist."

May 16, 2000
Since religion is not allowed in policy making or government functions, I don't see why it should have any bearing on political ideology beyond basic morality formation.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
What if I am a fusion of two? Messianic Judaism. I picked Jewish, since the original form of Christianity was a sect of Judaism.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
What if I am a fusion of two? Messianic Judaism. I picked Jewish, since the original form of Christianity was a sect of Judaism.

Some members of the movement are ethnically Jewish[2][18], and some of them argue that Messianic Judaism is a sect of Judaism.[25][unreliable source?] Jewish organizations and religious movements reject this, stating that Messianic Judaism is a Christian sect.[19] The Supreme Court of Israel has ruled that the Law of Return should treat Jews who convert to Messianic Judaism the same way it treats Jews who convert to Christianity.[26] Mainstream Christian groups generally accept Messianic Judaism as a form of Christianity.[18]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messianic_Judaism

If Christians consider it a form of Christianity and most Jews reject it as a sect of Christianity, I would have said it was Christian.

Pretty interesting that one can get Israeli citizenship by converting to Judaism.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messianic_Judaism

If Christians consider it a form of Christianity and most Jews reject it as a sect of Christianity, I would have said it was Christian.

Pretty interesting that one can get Israeli citizenship by converting to Judaism.

Yeah, there is an ongoing debate about it...and the modern view is based on the actions of the Christian Church from the days of Constantine onward. Pretty wicked stuff was done to Jews by Christians who conveniently forgot that Jesus was a Jew.

The original Christianity was a bunch of Jews who believed Jesus was the Messiah. Even Paul continued to call himself a Pharisee throughout his entire life, going so far as to still sacrifice at the temple. He simply felt that the Goyim (non-Jews) did not have to follow the Law to also follow the Jewish Messiah.

In the early days, talking about Jesus in the synagogue was acceptable. It was the large number of non-Jews who were coming to the synagogue to hear about Jesus that bothered the Jews...and that was because of the odd belief that you can "catch" uncleanliness from a non-Jew (which has no Biblical basis that I can find).

The issue is that Christianity should not be a seperate religion at all...it was never intended to be, it was intended to be a form of Judaism...one which all Jews would eventually join.

As an aside, if a person's grandmother on their father's side is Jewish, their father is also Jewish...but they do not gain the religion at birth (the religion is passed from the mother). HOWEVER, the tribal affiliation is passed from the father (or the mother if the father is not Jewish), therefor the son/daughter gains the moniker of "Jew" for ethnic purposes. The Israeli supreme court has ruled that this person (someone who has a Jewish grandmother) is a Jew for immigration and citizenship purposes.

The REAL interesting part is that a person granted Jew status this way was not Jewish at birth (by religion), so if this person is a Christian or a Messianic Jew, the person never converted away from Judaism. The court ruled these people cannot be denied immigration and citizenship. :)

I know this because that is the category into which I fall.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Ultimate knowledge is not possible. Soon as you spin an answer for something, there returns the ultimate question: Why? What causes THAT? No matter how you answer, the question will be returned again.

The question is infinite and cannot be resolved.

Morality takes no god, and no book. It takes a simple phrase: 'Love thyself and others'. Additionally you may simplify that to: 'Do no harm', as difficult as that is. 'Be happy, make others happy'. Nothing else need apply.

To think there's an intelligence out there watching you, directing you, is quite selfish. Building churches is self serving as well, when the holy temple is your own body. Worship is an act of one, by good and moral action.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The great Hallel said "Do not do to others what you do not want them to do to you." The greater Y'shua (Jesus) turned the passive phrase into an active one and said "Do to others what you want them to do to you."

Both are excellent phrases, derived from men well versed in the Torah.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
I was baptized Catholic and went to Catholic school through high school. Well, today I'm far from Catholic. I clicked spiritual but not religious. If anyone wants a good way to make sure your kids don't become Catholic, send them to Catholic school for 12 years. It's a good way to learn all about what not to be.

(sic)Klown12

Nov 27, 2010
I've always had trouble as to what term to use to describe my religious belief, but I found this on Wikipedia and it's extremely close:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ietsism

I do have a fondness for Buddhist teachings in regards to my personal conduct, but I've never considered it my faith.

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
I believe in tasty food, so whichever religion has the best food... that's where I'm at.

more seriously, agnostic... but really I see little point in differentiating between agnostic and atheist, at least in my case. I'll pick whichever one answers your question best :p

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
My parents considered themselves Christian, but weren't big church goers. I think they went to a Lutheran Church at one time and then changed to a Methodist one. I pretty much feel the same way, i haven't been to any services in over 40 years, but still kinda consider myself Christian. If you want someone to explain the bible or scripture to you you'll have to ask someone else.

epidemis

Jun 6, 2007
The poll should be there.

Agnostic is "I don't know either way or probably not but I can't prove a negative."
Atheist is "God does not exist."

Atheist is non-religious; agnostic is something born out of a fancy philosophical discussion about the nature of cognition.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Deist. Thought about putting "spiritual, non-religious" but it would be exactly accurate. It's somewhere between simple spirituality and religion for me, although you'll rarely find me in a church.

May 16, 2000
I think the bolded part is why it matters.

It's only a correlate, not causal. You can obtain morality from any number of sources and methods. Religion is just one in a long list. Therefore it's the morality that matters, not the religion.

epidemis

Jun 6, 2007
Yeah sorry I'm going with the dictionary on this one.
Words change meaning over time, you must have an old dictionary

http://www.yourdictionary.com/atheist :
"An atheist is a person who does not believe in the existence of any kind of God or higher power."

Those "so-called" agnostic are ALSO atheist, since they don't clearly believe in any kind of god, though they keep the door open for the possibility.

I was tempted to put in others, since I've been thinking of converting to kopimism (link: http://kopimistsamfundet.se/english/), but I guess I'm a proud ATHEIST

Last edited:

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Words change meaning over time, you must have an old dictionary

http://www.yourdictionary.com/atheist :
"An atheist is a person who does not believe in the existence of any kind of God or higher power."

Those "so-called" agnostic are ALSO atheist, since they don't clearly believe in any kind of god, though they keep the door open for the possibility.

That is quite different from your previous "non-religious" definition.