P&N Religion Poll

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What are you?

• Agnostic

• Atheist

• Buddhist

• Christian (Catholic, Orthodox, Coptic)

• Christian (Protestant / Non-denominational)

• Hindu

• Jewish

• Muslim

• Spiritual but not religious

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
lol at fake voters. wait, i will create another poll with public results... yes, that would be interesting

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You're one of the very few people who I've come across that understands that distinction. Most people I talk to about this subject tend to equate Buddhism as a religion(akin to Christianity or other Abrahamic religions) and I've become weary of having to explain what you just wrote. I now use incorrect terms just to prevent myself from having longer than necessary conversations that often still fail to make the other person understand.

Kudos to taking the time to write it all out though.
Thank you, those are very kind words. I have read a fair amount, heard quite a few of the lectures of Alan Watts (and read a few of his many books). One of the very best books, a wonderful little collection of stories (centuries old stories, I believe) is the book Zen Flesh, Zen Bones which I read around 40 years ago. It seems to have disappeared from my library, but some of the stories still live in me (I just reread a few at Amazon).

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I don't believe in anything written down by desert mystics & philosophers however I do believe there could be a super-being. I guess agnostic. Humans are too smart for thier own good and got to make shit up (religion) to justify their thoughts and feelings and exempt them from mortality. My religion is this life is not a test drive and I'll give 100% to it and want to experience as much as possible before I die.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
lol at fake voters. wait, i will create another poll with public results... yes, that would be interesting

You already said that. Did you forget that already? You're the only one who admits to lying. Some people have made mistakes. You have to be quite a loser to lie on an anonymous poll.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
I selected "Agnostic".

My mom was Catholic, my dad non-religious.. I went to a Catholic school up until 7th grade but was never confirmed.

I view religions as systems of control sold by their administrations as moral compasses (through the dichotomy of sin/forgiveness.. however it's worded in each specific religion) and used by believers as ways to rationalize and justify the actions they take. I regard them with no particular reverence or significance; they're just like anything else we humans make... they can be used exploitively or altruistically.