Overwatch

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Once I heard you could play bots in this game, it made me want to pick it up. I'm not a very competitive player... only played TF2 with friends. Would probably play TF2 if I could play bots so this might be a good buy for myself & wife.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
you can play bots of different skills levels. You can play them with a random team of real people, or just create a custom game and play vs bots solo or with a group of your choosing. Pretty flexible in that regard.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Widowmaker does a 150 damage charged shot. That's not even counting headshots...

Widow has an extremely high skill ceiling, and a competent widow will destroy enemy teams.

If you're good with the SMG mode you can kill just about anyone 1v1 as long as they don't get a big first shot.

What if they made these changes to Widowmaker...

1. A 100% charged shot now does 100 damage.
  2. Scoped critical strikes now deal +200% damage.
  3. SMG damage is reduced from 13 to 8.
  4. Her grapple hook has an 8s cooldown down from 12s.
Ultimately, my thought is trying to focus on these two problems:

1. Widowmaker can easily kill most non-tank heroes with two body shots (depends on the charge). Low-health heroes such as Zenyatta and Tracer will die to a single fully charged body shot. By reducing the scoped damage, she will have a harder time killing heroes. However, change #2 is important, as I didn't want to nerf skilled Widowmaker players that can get headshots. So, in other words, it puts a focus on headshots over body shots.
  2. Widowmaker's SMG damage is pretty darn good, but I think that's partly because it's part of her self-defense kit. To help avoid Widowmaker from being unable to avoid death at close range but keep her SMG damage in check, I also reduced the cooldown on her escape move, Grappling Hook.

Just keep in mind that these aren't official notes or anything. They're just my idea of what would make her still potent while not as troublesome. I mean... she's at the point where pro teams tend to run a Widowmaker because they need to be able to counter the other team's Widowmaker.

Now McCree... that is real OP. He's going to get fan the hammer nerfed, for sure.

Yeah, Blizzard said that they're going to nerf the Fan the Hammer damage. They're also looking into how to tweak D.Va to make her a bit better as tank hero.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
They're also looking into how to tweak D.Va to make her a bit better as tank hero.

They could start by decreasing the size of her mech's head hitbox, imo. As well as reduce cooldown on her E ability.

Then again, that would just make her even stronger in competent hands and super annoying to deal with. D.Va is one of my best characters already, so I certainly wouldn't mind a boost :)

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
I didn't really like playing D.Va until I paired with a good Mercy player. I was able to pop D.Va's ultimate 8 or 9 times in a single round last night with only a single death. It was really fun.

No reload is awesome.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
you can play bots of different skills levels. You can play them with a random team of real people, or just create a custom game and play vs bots solo or with a group of your choosing. Pretty flexible in that regard.

It doesn't seem to let you use all the characters for bots though, only a select few. At least in my game it's that way.

I Can choose any character I want to play, but to add bots it's only a select few.

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
There's not much point comparing AWP to Widow, considering how different the games are but personally I think "AWPing" is very hard comparing to Widow. Every match I'm playing there is a Widow and our team usually has to pick Widow as well to counter the enemy Widow. Widow's close range dmg needs a big nerf. If she's caught by another hero, her only option should be using her hook to run away, not bursting down opponent with her gun in close quarters. Not to mention, her ultimate is so good.

It doesn't seem to let you use all the characters for bots though, only a select few. At least in my game it's that way.

I Can choose any character I want to play, but to add bots it's only a select few.

They're probably still working on bot AI for all the different heroes.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
I bought it because my friends did, and I'm not fond of the game. It is basically a cartoon shooter with some slick expressive anime characters,

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I bought it because my friends did, and I'm not fond of the game. It is basically a cartoon shooter with some slick expressive anime characters,

I have been following the thread since I am on the fence and this is how I felt looking at it initially. I do know a couple people who have it and rave about it but I wonder if part of it is the lack of anything else compelling for them in a while. Perhaps I will give it a try when there is more content (maps and game modes) and a little more stuff to do with the bots.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
everyone said it was so much fun but they must all play it with friends and communicate with each other. i don't have any friends that play it and it seems like no one works together and it's not as fun. i gotta stop buying games that are meant to be played with teams if I don't already have a group of people to play with.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
everyone said it was so much fun but they must all play it with friends and communicate with each other. i don't have any friends that play it and it seems like no one works together and it's not as fun. i gotta stop buying games that are meant to be played with teams if I don't already have a group of people to play with.
Most of my real life friends don't play video games regularly and we rarely play anything together and I'm having a ton of fun playing with randoms. That's how I used to play TF2 back in the day but I love this game and real team based shooters.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I play with anywhere from 1 friend to a full team.

It's definitely more enjoyable if six of you can work together and be coordinated.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
so how does this compare to TF2?

as someone who's played TF2 casual for, uhh, 1200 hours

(asking for a friend)

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

(asking for a friend)

I played TF2 religiously from day one until the hat drop crap and I'm loving Overwatch. Overwatch scratches that inch for a great team based shooter since TF2 for me which is why I love it. If you're into CoD type shooters you probably won't like this but this game is right up my alley.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004

(asking for a friend)

Your friend will love it. I'm close to 30 hours now. It would be more but full time work + travel + online coursework + other responsibilities haven't given me as much free time to play as I'd like.

Luckily I go to 0% travel at the end of the month. It will be glorious :)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'm rather baffled as to how this Widowmaker kept killing me. On the kill cam, I didn't hear the headshot ping, and as Mei, I had over 200 HP. Even with the Mercy buff on the Widow, that's only 195 damage. Maybe the game didn't play the headshot ping?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

(asking for a friend)
I played tf2 early on and its quite similar. Some characters are almost direct ripoffs of tf2 characters. There are a lot more characters than tf2 though, i believe.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000

Several of us have posted battlenet IDs in this thread. My only request for groups is that people have a mic.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Several of us have posted battlenet IDs in this thread. My only request for groups is that people have a mic.
I have as well. I only have like 3 people on my friends list. Rarely is anyone ever playing when i go to play. No one has asked me to join them. I did play 1 game with someone from here by joining their game.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
not sure if i like this game for the teamwork reasons people stated. I need to find some people to play the game with. my username is evident so plz add me.

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
lect#1710

I usually play with my RL friend. I actually ran into an old Diablo 3 buddy (we actually paired up against each other in a pub game!)

Usually on around 9pm EST on weeknights for an hour or so. More on the weekends if I can find the time.

jimrawr

Mar 4, 2003
For whoever plays this game on PC and doesnt have friends to play with... There is a PC Group on Discord (free voice/text chat program) for Overwatch where there are many players looking to group up. Its pretty casual with groups looking for players at any given moment. You meet people and player higher quality games.

Here is a link into the chat room. I highly suggest downloading the program as well and not using the webapp

https://discordapp.com/invite/0WrILkb5M82rsu1U