Overwatch

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The competitive play should be out by the end of the month. It should help a lot getting games where people actually communicate and actually play as a team. If you're not terribad you should outrank those sorts pretty quick. That said it is better with a group. I play with my clan most of the time (not OW specific) Plus you get 20% more xp as a group.

The only thing that I'd worry about is the lack of a "goldilocks" level. Essentially, solo queue tends to be quick, but you usually have no communication and poor team play. Sometimes, you'll get into a game that goes well, but that's either on your team being good, the enemy team being bad, or a combination of the two. However, on the other hand, ranked play tends to attract a certain crowd of try-hard individuals. This is the sort of person that almost always finds something negative to say.

I actually ran into someone that seemed like that last night. They were all bickering after we lost on Hollywood (Attack), and I just said something like, "You know what... we all suck. There was a TP up, and NO ONE went to kill it. THAT is why we lost." They shut up after that.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
The only thing that I'd worry about is the lack of a "goldilocks" level. Essentially, solo queue tends to be quick, but you usually have no communication and poor team play. Sometimes, you'll get into a game that goes well, but that's either on your team being good, the enemy team being bad, or a combination of the two. However, on the other hand, ranked play tends to attract a certain crowd of try-hard individuals. This is the sort of person that almost always finds something negative to say.

I actually ran into someone that seemed like that last night. They were all bickering after we lost on Hollywood (Attack), and I just said something like, "You know what... we all suck. There was a TP up, and NO ONE went to kill it. THAT is why we lost." They shut up after that.

Yah. Toxicity only increases when there are ranks involved. I always take the view that there is a reason why the guy who loves to give advice was matched with me. He's just as bad. That and if he has a lot of time to type, he must be dead a lot. We'll see how it goes I guess. Blizzard seems really big on keeping toxicity to a minimum.

Last edited:

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
I've gotten a lot better about not getting a little salty in solo queue but taking a silver or gold in Elims/Obj. Elims as Lucio still makes me need to step away for a few mins after the round ends.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I'm really liking Junkrat. I do well with him. Probably helps that all his abilities are fairly quick cooldowns. love throwing out the remote explosive!

I also like Pharah as well.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
They were all bickering after we lost on Hollywood (Attack), and I just said something like, "You know what... we all suck. There was a TP up, and NO ONE went to kill it. THAT is why we lost." They shut up after that.
Well, people are starting to understand their roles, but only the really good flankers so far realize that their #1 priority on attack is to hunt and kill TPs. If you are playing Tracer and the TP isn't dead within a minute tops after the first announcement, you're doing it wrong.

Elims as Lucio still makes me need to step away for a few mins after the round ends.
Or it means you're playing KotH and having a hilarious time knocking fools off.

I'm really liking Junkrat. I do well with him. Probably helps that all his abilities are fairly quick cooldowns. love throwing out the remote explosive!
Junkrat is up there with Soldier as far as the most versatile role-wise. Besides spam damage he can flank, hunt down flankers (vertical ones too!), bodyguard the backline, and basically do everything but tank and heal.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

Junkrat can be a ton of fun, and he's also very versatile when it comes to taking on static defenses. For example, I was in Numbani (Attack), and there was a Torbjorn on the enemy team with his turrets. Once I figured out where the turret was, I could easily lob my grenades at an angle so the turret could never hit me, but I could destroy it. I really HAD to do this since the turret would destroy my Rip Tire if I tried to use it. :p

One thing about his abilities is that since they're triggered by proximity or button press, you can place the item down and allow its cooldown to reset. There are usually good points on defense that are great for the trap. For example, on Volskaya, I usually set my trap at the end of the hallway on the front, left side. You can toss an explosive right near it and detonate it once you see "TRAPPED!" pop up on your screen.

Another rule is to just ignore your accuracy on Junkrat. You should be spamming grenades where your enemies may be coming in or where they last were. They may connect, but if not, they usually serve as a bit of area denial.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Another rule is to just ignore your accuracy on Junkrat. You should be spamming grenades where your enemies may be coming in or where they last were. They may connect, but if not, they usually serve as a bit of area denial.
If the other team has a good Mercy and/or Zarya, though, you're just feeding them.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
If the other team has a good Mercy and/or Zarya, though, you're just feeding them.

I'm really glad there isn't a 'feeding' mechanic like LoL. Sucks to not only have a terrible player, but have them actively making the other team more powerful.

jimrawr

Mar 4, 2003
I'm really glad there isn't a 'feeding' mechanic like LoL. Sucks to not only have a terrible player, but have them actively making the other team more powerful.

There kind of is, by charging the enemies ultimate. Teammates who run in and just die are hurting the team. Its just not as impactfull as in MOBAs

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
I find myself getting bored of this game already, almost entirely due to the matchmaking putting me with players who don't even try to do the objectives to win the game, and are seemingly unwilling to play any hero that isn't a sniper or tracer/genji.

They should have had competitive matchmaking available on release, or at the very least some actual hidden ELO working in the background. On release I played with a group of 6 and we won almost every game all night long, and yet I get put with noobs vs noobs who are mostly playing team deathmatch.

I think I'm gonna hold off playing much more of this until matchmaking finally comes in a month from now. I'm not expecting people to synergize their abilities or use team chat, but I do expect people to actively try and win the game, and that is VERY rare.

Last edited:

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
There is. But they didn't reset MMR from beta, so that counts too.

I really don't believe it. On release I was in a group and we won almost every game for like 8 hours straight, and it didn't put me against good players afterwards or during. I know they claim to have hidden ELO but I just don't buy it.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
If you didn't play open beta, then one day of stomping noobs won't get you far enough.

If you did, how did you do?

I generally get good teammates when I solo queue now. But then again, I usually play healer and organize some basic strats.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I really don't believe it. On release I was in a group and we won almost every game for like 8 hours straight, and it didn't put me against good players afterwards or during. I know they claim to have hidden ELO but I just don't buy it.

Well either Blizzard is officially lying to us about it, or there is a reason why you're getting matched with those types of players. One is more likely than the other.

Of course that assumes you've played more than a couple games.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

I really don't care about charging Mercy's ultimate. You may be thinking, "Wait... why!?" Because it already charges to flippin' fast anyway! It's part of the reason why you should avoid using your self-heal on Roadhog when you have a Mercy healer. Mercy can gain the majority of her ultimate charge simply from that 300 health heal on Roadhog.

Also, you'd be surprised at how easy it is to kill people with those random, stray grenades. You also generally do it down certain areas, and they may not even have a healer with them. For example, on Temple of Anubis, if we've been annoyed by heroes coming down the left path, I may focus a bit more there.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Anyone here buy any loot boxes? If yes any luckerino?

I have no qualms about paying for cosmetic items in other games, but in Overwatch I see absolutely zero reason to do so. These loot boxes give nothing but duplicates after awhile, and besides you level up so fast that you're never that far away from your next "free" box.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
I really don't care about charging Mercy's ultimate. You may be thinking, "Wait... why!?" Because it already charges to flippin' fast anyway! It's part of the reason why you should avoid using your self-heal on Roadhog when you have a Mercy healer. Mercy can gain the majority of her ultimate charge simply from that 300 health heal on Roadhog.

Also, you'd be surprised at how easy it is to kill people with those random, stray grenades. You also generally do it down certain areas, and they may not even have a healer with them. For example, on Temple of Anubis, if we've been annoyed by heroes coming down the left path, I may focus a bit more there.

Mercy charges her ulti really fast because of several bugs. One is based on her damage amp.

Right now if you shoot someone with a shield you get no ultimate charge. At one point in beta you did, but that made heroes like Reinhart really terrible to play. So they took that mechanic out and now shooting shields gives no ultimate charge. However, Mercy gains ultimate charge if she is amping someone that is shooting at shields at the rate those people would have gotten had the old mechanic be back with the amped damage to boot. Literally takes like 2 seconds to charge her ult that way if even that long.

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
Ok, this game is lots of fun. My daughter got it, and she let me try it on her account over the weekend. I've been testing out random characters here and there, and my fav so far is def. D. VA. Versatile and effective.

Anyhow, I was playing as widowmaker, and accidentially launched my grapple into a group of enemies and flung into them, and they died?? Is that right, or was that a glitch or something.

What I find most interesting about this game overall is how everyone is sort of working together pretty well, in most matches I've played, with no voice communication at all. For the most part, people online have been pretty nice to.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Ok, this game is lots of fun. My daughter got it, and she let me try it on her account over the weekend. I've been testing out random characters here and there, and my fav so far is def. D. VA. Versatile and effective.

They're actually looking to buff D.Va as she's considered too weak at this point. To be clear, her attack damage is fine, but her "kit" feels too lackluster as a tank. So, their goal is to make her as worthwhile as Winston is in the meta, because right now, in the competitive scene, her main use is stalling the payload at the end to raise the stopwatch timer. :\

Anyhow, I was playing as widowmaker, and accidentially launched my grapple into a group of enemies and flung into them, and they died?? Is that right, or was that a glitch or something.

They most likely died to something else as the only characters that can deal damage by running into an enemy are Reinhardt (with his charge) and D.Va (with her boosters). Winston also deals damage when he leaps onto enemies.

If you aren't sure, you could turn the kill feed on, and it will tell you what killed someone.

What I find most interesting about this game overall is how everyone is sort of working together pretty well, in most matches I've played, with no voice communication at all. For the most part, people online have been pretty nice to.

I find that people are usually pretty nice, but the lack of communication can be pretty annoying at times. It's also giving me some bad habits as I find that I'm not talking as much when I'm with a group, because I'm just so used to never saying anything. (There's usually no one in team voice to say anything to!)

As for the toxicity, from my experience, it's pretty low. Although, when you do find some... whew... I think they're trying to make up for the lack thereof! I ran into this one instance the other night where a Korean player was on the enemy team, and at the end of the match, which we won, they railed into him. Amusingly enough, they threw out all sorts of racial stereotypes and names for everything but Korea. :hmm:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I only play here and there because I feel like I am playing alone most of the time. like you guys say, no one talks but I find that a lot of times we're just doing our own thing. no cohesive team playing.