Overwatch

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
So don't kill me I haven't been following the game.

It's essentially like TF2 when it first came out and there's no hats?

I mean there's no leveling up like in BF2 so everyone's on the same level playing field?

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I don't think they're out of whack in that it's unintentional at least. I'm not a huge fan of it but I think it was a conscious design decision to try to provide a more consistently satisfying experience for the majority of players. Most people aren't ridiculously good FPS players but they still want to feel like they're being effective and (at least sometimes) making good plays. And this sort of 'buffer' makes it so that those moments come more often for them. Which, imo, probably makes for a more fun experience for most people (the fun of killing more > the frustration of dying more).

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Not gonna lie game is getting boring as hell now. So repetitive...

isnt that what moba is?

how many times do you go though dota, on the same map only using different heros?

:p

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Random heroes brawl is back... no more of that Genji/Hanzo nonsense.

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
Overwatch is not a moba though so what are you on about?

He probably means in general with most online MP games though. How many times do you do the same thing over and over again in most online MP games?

Overall, for me, it's about mastering characters, gameplay, and loot.

How many times have we done the same things over and over in COD, SC, Dota, CS, Diablo

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I don't mind the smaller map pool. Although, I certainly wouldn't complain about getting more maps. During closed beta, it was pretty rare to get a heads-up on most things. So, you'd be playing after a patch, and all of a sudden, you see a loading screen for a new map that you've never heard of. I only experienced that with Ilios and Route 66, but it was always a nice surprise. All in all, it's more about the match itself than just the map. So, as long as I don't constantly play on the same map (stress test weekends were bad about this), I'm good.

redrider4life4

Jan 23, 2009
Didn't look that far off. Aren't they all off in every game anyway?

What do you mean they aren't that far off, in CS or TF2 you have never been able to shoot someone behind a wall/door if you couldn't see them. Yes you could shoot through the doors/wall but you had to at least hit them. In this case if you have Hanzo/Widow vision and someone thinks they are safe you are not since you can essentially kill them from around a corner. I've played CS/Battlefield/Team Fortress and it's never been anything like that.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
He probably means in general with most online MP games though. How many times do you do the same thing over and over again in most online MP games?

Overall, for me, it's about mastering characters, gameplay, and loot.

How many times have we done the same things over and over in COD, SC, Dota, CS, Diablo

true, very true

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Getting bored, try one of the many other characters. I'm sure you're getting bored because you're basically the same character. I started out as Lucio for Support, moved onto Torbjorn, then Junkrat, Winston, Roadhog, Reinhardt, Soldier 76, and Pharah.

I'm gonna try Genji next. He doesn't seem the easiest to master but his deflect is invaluable against most characters.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Getting bored, try one of the many other characters. I'm sure you're getting bored because you're basically the same character. I started out as Lucio for Support, moved onto Torbjorn, then Junkrat, Winston, Roadhog, Reinhardt, Soldier 76, and Pharah.

I'm gonna try Genji next. He doesn't seem the easiest to master but his deflect is invaluable against most characters.

Genji can be a ton of fun. If you want any quick tips before you play, there are tons of videos on YouTube that are character specific. Pretty much, the biggest things for Genji are that you need to know the map as you'll often be without a healer. So, know where the health packs are! You also want to know how to switch between left click and right click. Essentially, right click is good at close range because it has a higher rate of fire and the spread is negated by the close range. You can also do lots of crazy animation-cancel combos, but I wouldn't worry about that junk right now.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Sitting here at the local wing place and noticed guy that just sat down near me has an overwatch t-shirt on.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
I'm getting annoyed at how much I suck with Widowmaker. I used to be an awp god. I'm getting too old and my reflexes suck.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
This game has garbage netcode/hitboxes/whatever, 100% catered to shitty players. When the designers talk about this "favoring the shooter" nonsense my head explodes. I sometimes wonder if they even play their own game.

That being said the characters play uniquely which makes the game pretty fun.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
This game has garbage netcode/hitboxes/whatever, 100% catered to shitty players. When the designers talk about this "favoring the shooter" nonsense my head explodes. I sometimes wonder if they even play their own game.

That being said the characters play uniquely which makes the game pretty fun.

Ive been having an awesome with competent teams. Going in with a tank and a good mercy is so much fun.

redrider4life4

Jan 23, 2009
I'm getting annoyed at how much I suck with Widowmaker. I used to be an awp god. I'm getting too old and my reflexes suck.

Yeah man I know how you feel, one game I feel like I can't miss the next I get destroyed. Drinking and playing probably doesn't help since normally when I played CS I was sober. Too used to easy MOBAs where you can be drunk and still wreck kids.

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
Awp is totally different ofc you will suck playing widow because it's not 100% 1 shot kill like the awp and you can pretty much 1v1 with the awp due to quickscoping. Widow maker sucks imo. Only good about widow maker is the quick fire rate. Not really sniper when you have fire rate like dat.
Nothing can compare the awp just saying.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
Widow is borderline OP. You aren't playing against decent Widows if you think she sucks. Between her frequently up Ultimate (that you can't hear if she pops it more than like 30 yards away), her insanely high head-shot damage, high mobility, quick fire rate and effective fall back weapon (SMG mode is beastly in the right hands) she is extremely well rounded.

Fortunately, most Widows are bad. Cause a good Widow will totally dominate the game.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Widowmaker does a 150 damage charged shot. That's not even counting headshots...

Widow has an extremely high skill ceiling, and a competent widow will destroy enemy teams.

If you're good with the SMG mode you can kill just about anyone 1v1 as long as they don't get a big first shot.

Now McCree... that is real OP. He's going to get fan the hammer nerfed, for sure.

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
Widow is borderline OP. You aren't playing against decent Widows if you think she sucks. Between her frequently up Ultimate (that you can't hear if she pops it more than like 30 yards away), her insanely high head-shot damage, high mobility, quick fire rate and effective fall back weapon (SMG mode is beastly in the right hands) she is extremely well rounded.

Fortunately, most Widows are bad. Cause a good Widow will totally dominate the game.
Hardly anyone play Widows in my experience. vs tanks she useless