Status
Not open for further replies.

Vattila

Oct 22, 2004
Argonne, ORNL and Codeplay just announced that Codeplay has been awarded a contract for implementing SYCL support for AMD GPUs — as an open heterogeneous programming model for the upcoming exascale supercomputers.

I think this strongly signals that CUDA is not long for this world. What do you think? Since this is slightly off-topic here, head over to my poll in the Programming forum:

Speculation: SYCL will replace CUDA

1624108765857.png

Thread locked due to cross-posting.
Thread continues in Programming sub-forum.

Iron Woode

Super Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
We can only hope.

Closed standards hurt everyone not named nvidia.

However, the reason CUDA has so much weight is developers are used to using it, and it is well documented and discussed. It has the inertia of the rolling snowball going for it.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Vattila

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I admit I am not a programmer and have limited knowledge about such things... But I am a human and basic pattern recognition is built in to my source code so I'll ask...

Do we have any concrete examples of any sort of open source code (especially in the context of AMD) A: having longevity, and B: being commercially viable or even more so successful?

I feel like I've been on this ride over and over and over again and every time something is supposed to dethrone the closed source carefully managed and piloted software and IT NEVER DOES.

Reactions: Vattila
Mar 11, 2004
Based on that diagram I'm not really following how you're reaching that conclusion, and frankly, straight up this is likely simply that they have to do this in order to take advantage of the AMD GPU hardware going in it, as AMD doesn't have a CUDA robust software platform for them to utilize.

Reactions: Vattila
Status
Not open for further replies.